Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] US - Chlorine washed chicken vs chlorine washed salad

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree totally with the comments so far as regards animal welfare and the use of antibiotics.

I have no problem however with GM foods - crops have been genetically modified for centuries via cross-breeding and hybridisation. Very few of the commercial crops, (if any), occurred naturally.

Agree.

Thing is, though, we might make a crop pest-resistant by making it GM and more attractive to an insect's natural predators (double its natural fragrance, perhaps). In America they'd make a crop pest-resitant by making it synthesize and secrete DDT. :shrug:

Anyway, don't be fooled - this is a pro-Trump trolling thread. Who knew? I knew :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think the health impacts are made clear, and I suppose we can make that choice.

But there's another issue about protecting our own chicken farmers and their industry, because they could be caught between a rock and a hard place if chicken produced using cheaper methods floods our market. I had a google, and discovered that we produce 60% of the chicken-meat sold in the UK, whether fresh or frozen. So if our chicken farmers want to compete with the US chicken they might be forced or encouraged to change production standards and start providing chlorine-washed chicken to the UK market themselves. However, the British market mainly wants breast, but the dark meats of the leg, thigh, wing are less in demand and these primarily get exported overseas. 75% of those dark meat exports go to the EU, around £170 million-worth of exports. If the British producers want to keep exporting this dark-chicken meat to the EU they will have to conform to EU standards, i.e. no chlorine- washing.

So, a chicken farmer might have to face either losing out on breast-meat sales within Britain to cheaper-produced US imports, or losing out on dark-meat sales to the EU.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The farmers, and whatever umbrella poultry organizations are out there, can simply encoure greater variety in UK chicken consumption patterns as a patriotic gesture.

Sure, they might not make what they'd make exporting legs, etc. to the Continent, but this Brexit lark is, I was led to believe, all about shared sacrifice, when it doesn't involve no sacrifice at all.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
[https://youtu.be/hHoS4Xz0L4M/URL] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think the health impacts are made clear, and I suppose we can make that choice.

But there's another issue about protecting our own chicken farmers and their industry, because they could be caught between a rock and a hard place if chicken produced using cheaper methods floods our market. I had a google, and discovered that we produce 60% of the chicken-meat sold in the UK, whether fresh or frozen. So if our chicken farmers want to compete with the US chicken they might be forced or encouraged to change production standards and start providing chlorine-washed chicken to the UK market themselves. However, the British market mainly wants breast, but the dark meats of the leg, thigh, wing are less in demand and these primarily get exported overseas. 75% of those dark meat exports go to the EU, around £170 million-worth of exports. If the British producers want to keep exporting this dark-chicken meat to the EU they will have to conform to EU standards, i.e. no chlorine- washing.

So, a chicken farmer might have to face either losing out on breast-meat sales within Britain to cheaper-produced US imports, or losing out on dark-meat sales to the EU.

You are absolutely correct.

One of the more bonkers realities of Brexit, I see someone has mentioned protectionism above. That's right, it corrects our farmers too.

Essentially what is going to happen (to keep face) is the government is going to heavily subsidise industries such as fishing and farming or lose votes.

It's the paradox of Brexit and the EU know this. Effectively "we've" elected a "state aid" right wing government.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Chlorinated chicken, or*chlorine-washed*chicken, simply means that*chicken*was rinsed with*chlorinated water;*chlorine is*not present*in the*meat. Just as*chlorine*helps make drinking*water*safe in the UK, it can help remove potentially harmful bacteria from raw*chicken.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Chlorinated chicken, or*chlorine-washed*chicken, simply means that*chicken*was rinsed with*chlorinated water;*chlorine is*not present*in the*meat. Just as*chlorine*helps make drinking*water*safe in the UK, it can help remove potentially harmful bacteria from raw*chicken.

Thank you USA trade ambassador, but no it doesn't.

No-one (with a brain) is arguing about the dangers of chlorine, it's why it is used in the USA and why it probably doesn't work.

Do your research OR simply cut and paste a quote from the American USA Chicken Council.

:facepalm:

https://www.chickencheck.in/faq/chlorine-washed-chicken/

Chlorinated chicken– or chlorine-washed chicken – simply means that chicken was rinsed with chlorinated water; chlorine is not present in the meat. Just as chlorine helps make drinking water safe, it can help remove potentially harmful bacteria from raw chicken

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

What kind of deviant opts for breast over dark meat?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Agree totally with the comments so far as regards animal welfare and the use of antibiotics.

I have no problem however with GM foods - crops have been genetically modified for centuries via cross-breeding and hybridisation. Very few of the commercial crops, (if any), occurred naturally.

But genes from a Salmon had never found their way into tomatoes by crossbreeding.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Of course, but it's the patents that are applied to seeds that I have a problem with.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As so many on here take issue with the potential for lower food standards if we have a trade deal with the US, I’d be interested if the same concerns which are voiced in regards to chlorine washed chicken also apply to the current use of chlorine to wash salad before it’s packed.

Personally, as long as the chicken is clearly marked, then surely it should be personal choice. Unless, of course, people just want to use it as a way yo attack any form of deal which isn’t with the EU.

Chlorine washing chicken is not effective in preventing bacteria such as salmonella being present on the meat. 380 people die every year in the US from food borne Salmonella poisoning, one death in 15 years in the UK. Chlorine washing causes the salmonella to form a protective cyst around itself, this means a lab test can't culture it, so it looks like it is not present, but when the chlorine is gone the salmonella becomes active again, there was some research that suggested this protective cyst helps the salmonella survive antibiotics and high temperatures that would otherwise kill it, so even cooked meat may be unsafe if the chicken has been washed in chlorine.

https://mbio.asm.org/content/mbio/9/2/e00540-18.full.pdf

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
But the problem is, it will be cheap because it is poor origin / quality. This then puts pressure on UK food producers to slash costs to compete. They won't be able to compete due to lack of volume and disappear out of the market.

But at least we have our country back!

:ffsparr:

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona

D’you eat raw chicken often?

D

Deleted member 22389

I look at the quality of meats in the cheap supermarkets and don't like the look of it. Now we go to the butcher's once a fortnight, and I eat more fish and veg.
We do have a choice, nobody is forcing to buy it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What a silly thread, can't even be bothered to debate this one.

Whosh51

Aug 27, 2014
You have a choice buy British, look for the red tractor mark on your purchases.
Cleaning your teeth today look what’s in your toothpaste and water!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here