Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For me 2nd only to Lawrenson, and i go back to John Napier.

*edit* Although, with the rule changes, fitness levels etc are the demands of a current Championship centre back greater than the first division of 35 years ago ?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
We seem to have a knack through the years of getting centre backs in the twilight of their careers in and getting 2-3 seasons out of them, in which they have a fantastic impact on the team.
Upson probably the best of a list which includes, Blackwell, Morgan, McPherson & Culverhouse, Fozzie(2nd spell) & Suddaby

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Never saw Lawrenson but he always jumps at the chance to try to point out that possession stats are worthless. So my question would be, how can he have been supposedly such a good player when he does not appreciate one of the most critical aspects of the game?

I believe he may be referring to the fact that goals count, not necessarily possession. An example was our recent toils against Watford in that respect. Trust me, he was not half bad.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Great picture. That pose is as much an Upson trademark as his composed distribution. I'd like to see it somewhere - don't know where though.

I desperately hope that he crops up with a really vital goal for us at some point before he retires. Something that categorically entrenches him in the history books. A promotion winner or FA Cup quarter final winner would be fantastic.

This. He completely deserves it after the effect he's had on the team. I truly believe he's got at least two more seasons left in him if he carries on like this.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Never saw Lawrenson but he always jumps at the chance to try to point out that possession stats are worthless. So my question would be, how can he have been supposedly such a good player when he does not appreciate one of the most critical aspects of the game?

Since footage is rare, this is hardly comprehensive but was a cut above at our level.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Does Upson have a song? I've never heard one in all the time he's been here. Perhaps 'There's only one Matthew Upson'?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] asked for a song. How about this - to the tune of Billy Joel's Uptown Girl...

Upson oh
We're all living in an Upson world
Yeah, he's our big defender guy
And you're never pass him why
Cos he's Matthew Upson oh
We're all living in an Upson world
Repeat etc etc

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Great player, and a real pro.my player of the season so far.

Loved it last night when he got tackled, fairly late,free kick given and Upson just Got up, no rolling around, no theatrics. Just got on with it.

And he wears black boots.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Loved it last night when he got tackled, fairly late,free kick given and Upson just Got up, no rolling around, no theatrics. Just got on with it.

My player of the season so far as well....Gibraltar in defence....let's keep Uppy....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Lawrenson IMHO was the most complete defender that has played for the Albion, he was incredibly quick, read the game well and was very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Also that season Albion were in real trouble in the top div. Mullery played him in midfield and he didn't look out of place.

Arguably, one of the reasons why we struggled in 1980-81 was the fact Lawrenson was no longer protecting the defence from midfield.

Dec 29, 2011

Reminds me of Bridge in terms of dedication, ability and professionalism. Neither faked injuries, rolled around or got in arguments. They were both written off by the average supporter but came down here and were the best players in the division in their respective roles. Any more 'past it' ex-internations that want to come to the Amex.. I'll drive them down here.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Best Albion centre back since...?

I'm too young to have seen our greats (Lawrenson et al.), so Upson is the best I have seen in the blue and white. Simon Morgan was exceptional but divisions below, Cullip was good but not in the same bracket, McShane and Ingimarsson were young and gifted (more so Ingimarsson, IMO) but never really ours. The reality is he's probably the best since Greer for someone my age :lolol: but for older fans I suspect it dates back a lot further. So where does he stand?

He's certainly the best I've ever seen play for us. Morgan stands out as being a class act but he was getting on a fair bit. I'd say Upson is almost certainly the best we've ever had bar Lawrenson.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Lawenson head and shoulders above anyone I have ever seen the complete footballer
all other named in this thread have been very good though but it surprises me nobody has mentioned Graheme Cross or Burnett

oops
and Sir Norman Gall

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here