Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson

shangambling1

Sep 28, 2011
Brighton
In an era when England had a good choice of CB's - Rio, Terry, Carra, Campbell, Dawson and King, Upson still managed to breakthrough and make a decent amount of caps. I still think now he could cut it in the Prem

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I just missed Lawrenson.

For me, Upson is right up there in the top bracket, with Martin Keown and Eric Young.

Colin Pates, Danny Cullip, Simon Morgan and Guy Butters all did pretty good jobs, relative to the divisions we were in at the time. Greer is thereabouts too - no mistake.

spot on! Who was the guy we had (I think ex Norwich) who played for us for a season at Gillingham ??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Said it before and I'll say it again.

As much as we all love Rohan, the reason Bridcutt hasn't been missed this season is:-

MATTHEW UPSON.

Ince is a lovely little bonus on top.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I said to my mate last night that I will be very sad when Upson leaves/retires :( He's been fantastic for us and an absolute professional. I've heard it mentioned a few times that he is enjoying his football here and that really shows in his performances, he wins pretty much every header he goes for, he's very assured with the ball at his feet, he's a very clean player and never gives away silly needless free kicks. And one of my personal highlights is the Matty Upson double thumbs up that he does on his post match lap

Great picture. That pose is as much an Upson trademark as his composed distribution. I'd like to see it somewhere - don't know where though.

I desperately hope that he crops up with a really vital goal for us at some point before he retires. Something that categorically entrenches him in the history books. A promotion winner or FA Cup quarter final winner would be fantastic.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Never saw Lawrenson. Would put Upson at the top of the list of centre backs I have seen play for the Albion.

Simon Morgan, Dean Blackwell, Paul McShane and Ivar Ingimarsson were all pretty decent in the Withdean years. Before that I guess you have to look at the likes of Steve Foster.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My player of the year so far tbh. Consistently plays well, an ever present this season (which, considering his age & previous injury woes, is phenomenal) and his whole game is just so composed...doesn't do anything flash, but what he does he does extremely well - and our defensive record is once again a testament to what he has brought to the back line since he joined.
And when our new shirt comes out next year I'm hoping he'll still be here....coz his name & number is going straight on the back of it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Without doubt the most consistent performer on the team. A genuine class act and a pleasure to watch, we are fortunate to have him here.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Played at a lower level for us, but Simon Morgan was different class for the one season he was here. Had top flight experience with Fulham, so must have been pretty reliable.

That season watching Simon Morgan deliver a fornightly masterclass in the art of being a central defender was a joy. Upson has better players around him so does not stand out to the same extent - but is up there amongst the best Ihave seen.

Lawrenson was head and shoulders above them all though. He could do it all. Just a sublime footballer.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Gary Stevens could fill in rather well in the centre of the back line, quality player who was comfortable on the ball at the back, could bring the ball forward with ease and on accaison - like Wembley- knew where the goal was. I think if we had stayed up he would have gone on to be an Albion great.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Tank [aka Guy Butters] was immense in our championship days when we were punching way above our weight.
Rarely did he get beat in the air, his game sense and positioning more than made up for his lack of pace and I can't recall him getting booked more than a couple of times in all the games he played for BHA.

Never has there been such a turnaround - after his first season, didn't someone offer him for sale on eBay? Yet before he retired was our player of the year?

Guy Butters :clap2:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Gary Stevens could fill in rather well in the centre of the back line, quality player who was comfortable on the ball at the back, could bring the ball forward with ease and on accaison - like Wembley- knew where the goal was. I think if we had stayed up he would have gone on to be an Albion great.

Also the finest exponent of the last ditch tackle I recall at the Albion. Striker would be clean through with just the keeper to beat only for Stevens to somehow hook the ball away from him and start the counter. Lawrenson though, as has been said, was a class apart from anyone we have had in central defence. Upson would be at least on a par with anyone apart I would think.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Upson is probably the only player at the club at this present time, that would get into a all time Albion XI....of course that is subjective but Lawrenson & Upson would match any other combo I could think of over the last 35odd years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here