Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson to Leicester?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
All those writing him off for the Premier League, I presume you would have released him if we had gone up?

Not at all but I think he`d struggle against the Rooney`s , Aguero`s and Suarez of this world?
Don`t you?
In fact the thought of our current back four/five in the Premier League scares the hell out of me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the face of it you'd think Upson would stay at the Albion. He's playing good football for a contending Championship side, he's settled, he's popular with the fans.

However, he doesn't know who our manager is going to be and - given the bookies favourite is Sherwood and he has a penchant for bringing on youth - and the fact Greer is presently club captain, his own position in the Albion starting XI is not secure.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I desperately hope he stays.

However, I think he could hack it in the premier league as he does read the game incredibly well, but will need a speedy CB alongside him.

Probably all rubbish and I just hope he stays.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Staying slightly off topic (thought it's a good subject, I'm a keen defender against the lazy dismissal of everywhere else in the UK being a sh*thole), there's not much in it is there, the downs are hardly the frigging himalayas!

This is true but the Downs has the sea right next to it, which you can't beat.

Brighton as a place to live is far nicer than Leicester ( i Have family from there so i know what a hole it is) just my opinion of cause

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
All I can find are references saying that Leicester are "interested in" Matt - not the other way around! I'm sure lots of clubs are interested in him but have no chance of him ever going to them. Hope Leics is one of these.

Personally think he's past chasing PL glory and now looking more philosophically at his career. Sussex trumps E. Mids as a place to live and when you've already had the career he's had, personal happiness is probably more important.

I think he lives in Hertfordshire and imagine he commutes down here so don't really see that location is really going to be a show stopper

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Really hope that Matt stays, but there is no loyalty in football. he will be on triple what he's on here and already lives in Essex or Hertfordhire (can't remember which one) and its a chance to try the Premier once again!

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I'd probably have him at Palace over Danny Gabbidon so I wouldn't be surprised if this is true, Leicester are missing true PL experience in their ranks.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Staying slightly off topic (thought it's a good subject, I'm a keen defender against the lazy dismissal of everywhere else in the UK being a sh*thole), there's not much in it is there, the downs are hardly the frigging himalayas!

They're a damn sight more hospitable, I can promise you that !

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Leicester is horrible, but I expect £25k a week will soften the blow.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It's alright it's in the mirror. Can't be true then :thumbsup:

I always use that line on my girlfriend when she says she thinks she looks ugly. Just a bit slowly enough to sow some seeds of doubt though. She properly wells up.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would imagine that's around the kind of money he will be getting here already.

Been told by someone apparently in the know, we dont pay over twelve grand, to any of the playing staff, a d someone else told me ten grand, so I don't think he can be on 25

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Been told by someone apparently in the know, we dont pay over twelve grand, to any of the playing staff, a d someone else told me ten grand, so I don't think he can be on 25

I do know 100%, that one player that is heavily suggested to be one 5 figures a week, is only on 4 figures (but nearly 5), so this sounds about right

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was sceptical when told that, but I read somewhere the average pay of a Championship player is only about four and a half grand a week, so it all fits, also I don't doubt the fella who told me, he's never been wrong before, but unfortunately, a lot of the stuff he tells me, I am sworn to secrecy

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He was outstanding for us last but is now 35 and looked a bit tired for the last few games when he was suffering from a few injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if he missed quite a few games next season and it's clear we need a few younger players in defence so I don't think it would be a massive disaster if he did leave. I would prefer him to stay though.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

He was our highest paid player (and the only player on over 12k) on 15k a week last season.

According to Football Manager 2014. :thumbsup:

solly

Aug 31, 2005
I'll maybe start being unhappy if it's clear he's going, until then it's all a load of tested icicles. We are heading into four months of this ..... some will depress us (if we let it), and some will get us excited (hopefully). In the meantime I'll carry on pottering in the garden, walking the dog and hoping to be seduced by a hot woman in the park. :wink:

I on the other hand am going to carry on pottering in the woman, walking the garden (muttering to self) and hoping to be seduced by a hotdog in the park ....
Really hope he stays for his sake and ours but sadly he may be needing the income for his playing retirement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here