Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson to Leicester?

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Agree with your viewpoint. Just can't see it happening - he's not quick enough for the prem anymore, and can't see him wanting to go there if only to sit on the bench in what is probably his final season as a player.

Even if he did go, it would be a shame, but I don't think it would be the end of the world for us. He's going to be one of our bigger earners and that money can be used to attract a younger player but with similar experience I'm sure.

I agree with all of this.

Also, who knows what's going to happen in the future. We were disappointed when we couldn't get Bridge for another year and, as it turned out, we got the last good year out of him. Upson is approaching that stage of his career now so who knows how he will perform next year, be it with us or anyone else.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Can see this happening as he is a top professional. He would be a bit of a gamble due to injuries (on going ankle issue). But probably a good person to have around the training ground for a newly promoted side.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If they pay him a million to be a good bench warmer for a year as central cover then it's a no brainer for him, unfortunately.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
If they pay him a million to be a good bench warmer for a year as central cover then it's a no brainer for him, unfortunately.

Kevin Phillips is now on the coaching staff at Leicester I believe, maybe he reckoned Upson could do a job there. He would be in a good position to know...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'll maybe start being unhappy if it's clear he's going, until then it's all a load of tested icicles. We are heading into four months of this ..... some will depress us (if we let it), and some will get us excited (hopefully). In the meantime I'll carry on pottering in the garden, walking the dog and hoping to be seduced by a hot woman in the park. :wink:

I'll maybe start being unhappy if it's clear he's going, until then it's all a load of tested icicles. We are heading into four months of this ..... some will depress us (if we let it), and some will get us excited (hopefully). In the meantime I'll carry on pottering in the garden, walking the dog and hoping to be seduced by a hot woman in the park. :wink:

Judging by your user name the latter would seem to be a very long shot.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Didn`t Leicester and Leeds want him last year but he chose us?
Can anyone honestly see him playing in the Premier League again?
He`s been playing through the pain barrier with us hasn`t he.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If he gets an offer I can't imagine he wouldn't take it. It'd be a chance at a last hurrah at the top table, why would he say no?

As for why they'd want him, he's highly unlikely to be a regular PL starter but I think anyone could see the value of having a defender of his experience and quality within a newly promoted squad.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Likewise (obviously), and I wouldn't agree with you but one in particular do you think is 'far nicer'?

Used to live in Sussex, now live in Lincolnshire. Give me the downs over the Wolds anyday, everything is too flat here!

On topic: I would hope he stays, but I think with his ageing legs he may not play as big a part next season anyway, with Dunk picking up more first team starts alongside Greer.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Used to live in Sussex, now live in Lincolnshire. Give me the downs over the Wolds anyday, everything is too flat here!

On topic: I would hope he stays, but I think with his ageing legs he may not play as big a part next season anyway, with Dunk picking up more first team starts alongside Greer.

Staying slightly off topic (thought it's a good subject, I'm a keen defender against the lazy dismissal of everywhere else in the UK being a sh*thole), there's not much in it is there, the downs are hardly the frigging himalayas!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why wouldn't they? He was our Player of the Season and he'd have one more big payday. It's the price we're going to keep paying for not getting to the PL.

Why would Leicester though? Upson was for a couple of seasons now not sought by any PL clubs even as a squad player, he's even older and apparently LCFC have a player budget of £180m - they can now afford a squad of quality at the top of their game.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
All those writing him off for the Premier League, I presume you would have released him if we had gone up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here