Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UPDATED: Dale Stephens SIGNS 3.5 Year Deal

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So what have we learnt in the last 10 minutes about Dale Stephens.

-Who? He's rubbish, what are the board doing
-Stoke and Villa like the look of him
-The Charlton fan rates him highly and doesn't want him to leave
-He seems a perfect replacement for Bridcutt
-What are the board doing, get this done.

D

Deleted member 22389

Agreed, but ONLY if the punishments are severe enough to affect the clubs in signing players in the future and getting promotion. It needs points deductions and fines. Alas, nobody know what the piunishments will be. Therefore alot of clubs are banking on the fact that it will be a toothless punishment. I fear they might be right.

In the end the cheaters will lose. I'm sure the club will make a big thing about it if nothing is done to these offending clubs.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting. Makes him sound like a replacement for Bridcutt (with added bonus of goals). *
All of a sudden I really want us to sign him, despite the fact I hadn't heard of him eight minutes ago.

*please note - i know F**k all about anything

The most insightful and in depth analysis of this player that I have seen on NSC - I'm with you :thumbsup:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
In all seriousness, he sounds like an upgraded version of Gary Dicker who can also chip in with some goals. Seems like a good signing if we can finally seal the deal this time.

Nozza

Jan 28, 2014
In regards to the homesick issue, I'd imagine that this is less of a problem now.

There'd been murmurs within a few months of him signing that he wished to move back up north with his girlfriend, and these rumours again circulated when a transfer to Aston Villa fell through on deadline day in 2012. Throughout most of last season he seemed unsettled and was nowhere near to being one of our best players, despite obviously being talented. However, this season he has picked his game up a few levels and been superb, with rumours of his desire to move back up north not being mentioned. Whilst I'm not saying that his upturn in form is completely intertwined with him finally settling in down south, I think there's a definite chance this may be the case.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seems like an awful lot of arrogance on here. Personally I'm more than happy to give players a chance. I've heard of Stephens but I know little of him. That doesn't mean he's not worthy of our club, FFS. Why should we expect big names every time?

Our best players in recent seasons have frequently been the ones we've picked up with little fanfare. Bridcutt. Barnes. Crofts this season after a pretty flat year last time out. Ince seems to be a potential gem. Personally I think it would be amazing if Oscar could build a successful side of his own from relatively unheralded players- isn't that part of the joy of football?

Thinking of Palace last season (I know, sorry) they went up courtesy of one extremely talented youth team product, a free transfer who came good, & cheapo pick-ups like Bolasie, about whom most of their fans were entirely "meh" when he signed.

Charlton don't want to lose Stephens, just like Boro didn't want to lose Carayol. That must tell you something. I really hope that those complaining because certain names aren't good enough for us find themselves looking a tiny bit stupid one day.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
This article from 2012 is quite interesting and compares him favourably to Liam Bridcutt. However, it also says Abdul Razak could be a "world-class" midfielder, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/dale-stephens-why-charlton-must-build-their-team-around-the-aston-villa-target/

Tbf in the game against (I think) Ipswich, Razak was disgustingly good, I remember him hitting one frankly ridiculous 50 yard ping with the outside of his boot to Buckley on the flank, that was Pirlo-esque. The lad has great potential but the other games for us he was very lazy.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
In regards to the homesick issue, I'd imagine that this is less of a problem now.

There'd been murmurs within a few months of him signing that he wished to move back up north with his girlfriend, and these rumours again circulated when a transfer to Aston Villa fell through on deadline day in 2012. Throughout most of last season he seemed unsettled and was nowhere near to being one of our best players, despite obviously being talented. However, this season he has picked his game up a few levels and been superb, with rumours of his desire to move back up north not being mentioned. Whilst I'm not saying that his upturn in form is completely intertwined with him finally settling in down south, I think there's a definite chance this may be the case.

Didn't we have all that with Barnes, and he didn't turn out too bad.

Jimmy Grimble

Tbf in the game against (I think) Ipswich, Razak was disgustingly good, I remember him hitting one frankly ridiculous 50 yard ping with the outside of his boot to Buckley on the flank, that was Pirlo-esque. The lad has great potential but the other games for us he was very lazy.

Razak that day is still the best performance I've seen from an Albion player at The Amex.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Seems like an awful lot of arrogance on here. Personally I'm more than happy to give players a chance. I've heard of Stephens but I know little of him. That doesn't mean he's not worthy of our club, FFS. Why should we expect big names every time?

Our best players in recent seasons have frequently been the ones we've picked up with little fanfare. Bridcutt. Barnes. Crofts this season after a pretty flat year last time out. Ince seems to be a potential gem. Personally I think it would be amazing if Oscar could build a successful side of his own from relatively unheralded players- isn't that part of the joy of football?

Thinking of Palace last season (I know, sorry) they went up courtesy of one extremely talented youth team product, a free transfer who came good, & cheapo pick-ups like Bolasie, about whom most of their fans were entirely "meh" when he signed.

Charlton don't want to lose Stephens, just like Boro didn't want to lose Carayol. That must tell you something. I really hope that those complaining because certain names aren't good enough for us find themselves looking a tiny bit stupid one day.

Wise words, I know very little about him too, only what I am just reading, he sounds like he works hard and also has the ability to pass the ball and retain possesion nicely, something which Mr Crofts struggles with at times. I would be happy to have him aboard.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I thought I knew a lot about the Championship but I must admit this guy has totally passed me by!

Looks a handy championship player though admittedly just from the quick research I've done on-line and the type of midfielder and age we need to compliment the youth of JFC and experienced but ageing legs of Andrews.

I hope there's something in it as I really feel we're lacking in centre mid once Bridcutt goes.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
OK going to get slated for this but here goes.

In recent years even when they were in L1, he has been one of THE top prospects in England on football manager and in terms of people chatting about England U21's etc. I thus watched him a bit more than usual the couple times seen Charlton with my mate (he has spare ST I use occasionally) and he's always looked 7.5/10. Granted never anything amazing but always one of the best 3 players on the pitch including opposition. Not suggesting he'll be some Premiership god but as Championship players go not too many better, he's 24 with experience and I'd liken him most to Southampton's Adam Lallana. In style AND ability over the last say 3 years..........Seriously amazed people haven't heard of him!!!

My mate used to love him, now says he's merely very good with bags of potential but he'd be 'gutted' if they loose him and he comes here. Maybe not lived quite up to his hype but in this league? I'm excited

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here