Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unusal and interesting music venues.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably the strangest was Sigue Sigue Sputnik at The Lewes Con Club.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another odd one was walking past a small country pub in Ireland which had "Noel Redding playing tonight" chalked on a board outside. I popped in, had a drink, asked a few questions and it was indeed the Noel Redding. Went back later for the gig.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Most interesting venue that I have been to would be the Minack theatre in Cornwall. It's outside and beyond the stage you look out over a bay. You are likely to see a pod of dolphins performing in the background (anybody that replies with or Seal deserves a slap)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Although not strange at the time because it was in their early days ( 1984) I saw The Smiths play in Moulescomb at the polytechnic. Dont remember much except they came on late.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Pretty simple this. Which bands/artists have you seen play live in odd locations? Going to start with a couple:

British Sea Power at Saltdean Cafe. (Many other places I could mention)

Captain Sensible at The Pink Coconut. (He played on a tiny stage and encouraged a stage invasion during his number one hit Happy Talk. Security were at a complete loss as what to do. This venue later became Creation and Tru. I never went there again)

Blur also played at the Pink Coconut

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife once saw Carl Cox DJ at the dodgems thingy on Brighton pier.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Also in Moulescoombe

image.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
£3! I remember when I first started gigging and Hammersmith Odeon was £5 and you obtained tickets by sending them a cheque and SAE.

I think it was around about £ 4 to get into The Goldstone mid eighties.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I wasn't there, but I remember a few years ago not all that long before it closed altogether that Travis played some sort of limited ticket charity fundraiser at the Hanbury Ballrooms in Kemp Town.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
St George's Church in Kemptown is a beautiful setting for gigs. I've seen Lambchop, Emiliana Torrini, Brighton Beachboys, Beth Orton there. St Bartholomew's has hosted Daniel Johnston with Texan Sea Power supporting (aka BSP).

Nick Cave's Abbatoir Blues tour saw him play at the Ally Pally and the lighting made for a 20 foot shadow of his figure on stage. It was an incredible sight.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why does the East Wing no longer have gigs, saw Oasis 600 & the Manics 800 there, seemed to fill a gap size wise

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Led Zepp at Earls Court. What a monstrosity of a venue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The venue I recently saw Sic Alps in was odd. It was a semi-derelict room in an old building 4 floors above a supermarket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kraftwerk and Laibach in art galleries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here