Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unlikely Places that you have seen a ghost

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Patcham Place woods are mainly on a very steep slope that you can only get to the path at the top by walking in zigzags. My son and I were walking along the path at the top when we came across an elderly, frail man walking his doing along the path in the opposite direction. We said hello and walked past each other. Two or three seconds later I looked behind us and the old man and the dog had gone. Given the gradient of the slope next to the path he couldn't have gone down there and I could see the path for at least 1000 yards and he wasn't there. So unless the old man could beat Usain Bolt in the 100m I could only conclude he was a ghost.

I think ghosts are really an over lapping of a moment in time. This story of the old man on a path is a fine example. A friend of mine does not believe in ghosts, but saw a man once appear for a few seconds and then vanish in a room in his house. We talked about how it could be an anomaly in time that some how causes two moments to fuse together. This could rationalise and authenticate some accounts.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Not really to be honest, as I dont want people saying im imagining it etc.
Why are you so interested?

I am just interested in people's real life experiences. Always taken an interest in it, and have even written a couple of newspaper/magazine articles on real life stories :)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The house I grew up in as a young kid had a poltergeist, or so we believed. All manner of weird stuff going on, like typewriter keys going up and down by themselves in the middle of the night, plugs flying out of the walls, cutlery moving about. The person who lived in the house two before us had killed himself, so we wondered whether it might have been him. Still gives me the shivers thinking about it now.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Stayed at a friends house one night. Woke up in the early hours to see an old woman sitting in the chair opposite. Shook myself awake, looked again and she was still there. Ran for it I am afraid. Next morning my host confirmed there had been a lot of poltergeist activity in that room since the birth of her children.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
It's a lovely story and one I wish for you was true but let's face it, it's bollocks. Oh wait my beer has just moved from one side of the room to the other. No doubt about it, a ghost done it.

No, that would be a poltergeist.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
An intelligent mind is never closed to any possibility.

Thus your intelligence along with the possibility of paranormal activity must be up for debate.

Quite. We live in two worlds - the physical and the meta-physical. The physical can be viewed or touched and experimented upon, so we know it's there. The metaphysical cannot be touched or experimented upon, be we know that is there, too, because our minds are not physical things, yet they exist. There is much that we do not understand, that we will probably never understand, because we cannot examine it. But then, we are not meant to.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I think ghosts are really an over lapping of a moment in time. This story of the old man on a path is a fine example. A friend of mine does not believe in ghosts, but saw a man once appear for a few seconds and then vanish in a room in his house. We talked about how it could be an anomaly in time that some how causes two moments to fuse together. This could rationalise and authenticate some accounts.

Exactly. If you dispense with the notion of time itself, this can explain ghosts, EFOs and all manner of things. It's like two time-zones accidentally crossing and you are just witnessing something that happened long ago. They will probably be unaware that you have locked into that moment of theirs. Some places seem to be more prone to this sort of thing than others, and several generations of people can witness the same activity. It's as if the building or place itself acted like a tape recorder. (There was a play called The Stone Tape aired on Christmas Day, 1972, which explored this idea.)

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I have never seen one because they do not exist.

Because I am rational and intelligent.

Exactly this. They don't exist. So anywhere would be pretty bloody unlikely.

Brian Cox and Robin Ince: two wise men wishing you a merry XXmas | Television radio | The Guardian

"If three spirits appeared before you on Christmas eve, what would they have to show you to change your beliefs?"

Robin Ince: Them just being there is enough. You look at them and go, "Yes, there they are, the talking dead." They don't have to say anything. And they go, "Oh, we will take you on a journey." No. It's fine. You've done it.

Brian Cox: It's my view that the existence of ghosts would contravene the second law of thermodynamics. The principle of the conservation of energy, and the fact that entropy always increases; you'd be hard put to throw that away. You'd have to rip the book up; that's what it would imply if you saw a ghost. I would say, "I could not be any more surprised than I am by the fact that thermodynamics appears to be shit."

Last edited:

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Years ago they reckoned there was a ghost around Selhurst. But who'd want to be seen dead there.
Ghosts were invented by men wishing to create fear amongst those they wished to control.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The moments in time fused together makes sense but slightly falls down that you never hear reports of people seeing ghosts of animals or people from the future

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The moments in time fused together makes sense but slightly falls down that you never hear reports of people seeing ghosts of animals or people from the future

We only really see what our eyes/brains can decipher. What exists outside the realm of that, who knows.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Quite. We live in two worlds - the physical and the meta-physical. The physical can be viewed or touched and experimented upon, so we know it's there. The metaphysical cannot be touched or experimented upon, be we know that is there, too, because our minds are not physical things, yet they exist. There is much that we do not understand, that we will probably never understand, because we cannot examine it. But then, we are not meant to.

Ok.....................nurse........NURSE!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
There's a ghost that often appears in my bathroom. A pale young lady with a tearstained face. She looks mighty familiar but I just can't quite place it.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I blame the Victorians and their unsophisticated oil and gas lamps for the prevalence of tales of the supernatural. Hallucinations brought on by low level carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fact. Or a theory. One of the two anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here