Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unknown number

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
:annoyed::annoyed:Had a call last week at 3.41am, let it ring until answer machine cut in, no,message. Did 1471 told 'we do not have the callers number to return the call ' God knows who that was that time of the night.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
:annoyed::annoyed:Had a call last week at 3.41am, let it ring until answer machine cut in, no,message. Did 1471 told 'we do not have the callers number to return the call ' God knows who that was that time of the night.

Sorry about that. I needed somebody to talk to. That FA Cup exit...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't understand why people DON'T answer? Just pick it up. If it's marketing, hang up.

Some of us have busy working days, I am self employed and I was loosing money at one point because I kept answering my mobile, loads of the calls are from someone trying to sell me advertising, now it's PPI, answering the phone all the time is very distracting.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My phone is being repaired at the moment, so have been calling people off my work phone. Tried calling my mate today he would not pick up as he didn’t know the number is was calling from.
Bloody annoying, and had to text him off a mates phone, then he called straight back.
Is this really common, or just people who owe money to people?

That last bit made me laugh.
Must admit I rarely answer calls from unknown numbers as they are usually selling something I didnt ask for and dont want

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My phone is being repaired at the moment, so have been calling people off my work phone. Tried calling my mate today he would not pick up as he didn’t know the number is was calling from.
Bloody annoying, and had to text him off a mates phone, then he called straight back.
Is this really common, or just people who owe money to people?

That last bit made me laugh.
Must admit I rarely answer calls from unknown numbers as they are usually selling something I didnt ask for and dont want

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I block unknown numbers so i don't have any problems

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've donated a kidney and am living proof you can live with one,quite ironically i became healthier,i gave up smoking and started watching what i ate and started jogging.It's a very humbling experience especially when you see the people who need them and the suffering that goes on,shame more people don't donate really.

Very generous of you, I fully agree with the last sentence of your post.

I am fully in support of a national opt out donation register. It would hopefully see a lot more people get the organ that they need.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Did you miss the bit that my phone was being repaired.

No I read that bit, also you said you borrowed a phone to text your mate, I should have said borrow a phone and text again.

Email??? I know your computer isn't being repaired:smile:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I always ignore them unless I'm expecting a call from a company whose number isn't known to me.

I'm signed up to the preference service but that counts for nothing to the cowboy cold callers and potential scammers calling you from 'Microsoft' to warn you that 'your PC has a virus and they can help.'

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I will answer any call at any time .....
On the home phone the screen will say either "withheld" or "unknown"
This usually happens when the call originates from a PABX switchboard extension.

"Hi this is Camelot here, glad we caught you, this is you final opportunity to claim the £1m you won, when can we bring the cheque round?" - be mad to not answer that eh?

As others have mentioned above, the usual sign that its a call centre marketing call is that there is a few seconds pause after your "Hello" answer. This pause is while the system directs the call it made to an operator / person - now is the time to either hang-up or have a bit of fun. I always tell them that I will speak to them but I don't answer questions - of course the purpose of their call, invariably, is to conduct their market survey - which involves asking questions. After each question, I respond with "Sorry, I don't answer questions" - or "no comment" - they get bored and hang up quite quickly.

I'm an IT contractor looking for work so cannot afford to risk ignoring that call that potentially is introducing me to that next appointment.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
And with that I had a call from an unknown number - 0161 711 0460 - so I took it.

"Hello, can I speak to Heather Haddock please."

"What?"

"Is there a Heather Haddock there?"

"No."

I was trying to work out if Heather Haddock was a joke name and some wag was trying it on, but there seem to be a fair few of them about. Including a pretty HH residing in Arizona.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I blocked my home number for personal and job-related reasons to ensure no-one would be able to trace my number if I had to call them unless i want them to know it (ex-directory as well).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the phone jammer ebay has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
Has Meades Ball got a new second account?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here