Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unknown number

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It is against the Marketing Industry Best Practice Guidrlines to make outgoing calls either by individuals or PowerDiallers. They don't deserve to be picked up if withheld but if you do tell them that

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What do you do if you miss a call from a blocked number? Do you call the hospital?

Best of luck.

TBH, I've not really thought about it (maybe I should), but I would hope they'd try to call me more than once. They have my home number, mobile and work land-line, plus next of kin etc., I can't imagine they'd try once and give up - but it's a good question.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I never answer them either, not just for sales reasons but years back I used to get so many prank calls or simply people who'd hear me say "Hello?" then just hung up. Probably a psycho ex.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I put unknown numbers into google after ignoring them, so I can find out who it was. It's usually just a random company, probably trying to sell me something.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
TBH, I've not really thought about it (maybe I should), but I would hope they'd try to call me more than once. They have my home number, mobile and work land-line, plus next of kin etc., I can't imagine they'd try once and give up - but it's a good question.

Me too!!

Hope you get that call sir.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If I don't recognise a number, I don't often answer it. Especially when there's no recognisable area code (i.e. 0844 numbers).

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I rarely, if ever, answer calls from unrecognised numbers. Mostly down to the amount of marketing type calls you can get these days I suspect.

Then again, I often don't answer my phone when I know who it is.

I hate phones.

I never answer a call if it shows as unknown number, because as nail-Z says, it's usually someone trying to sell you something. I rarely answer calls if it just shows the number either, as in my mind, if I want you to have my number, I would have yours so it would show your name.

If it was important, whoever it was would leave a voicemail or follow-up with a text anyway, so you can always call them back.

I never answer from an unknown number unless I know there's a call I'm expecting where I don't know what the number is going to be.

I always store details of every call received on my phone so, the next time, it's not an unknown number and i can decide whether I want to answer or not. Generally not, but you never know...

All of these. 9 times out of 10 it's a call about PPI or similar. If it's important/someone I know, they'll leave a message.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thank you sir. Average wait is 3 years and I've been on the list for 1 so far. Of course, someone can offer to donate one to me *hint, hint* :)

I've had a few drinks...hic...your my best mate after all...

(seriously, hope you get that call :) )

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My phone is being repaired at the moment, so have been calling people off my work phone. Tried calling my mate today he would not pick up as he didn’t know the number is was calling from.
Bloody annoying, and had to text him off a mates phone, then he called straight back.
Is this really common, or just people who owe money to people?

Very rarely answer a withheld number. Too many recruitment agents/marketing calls/scammers.
I think twice about answering anything that doesn't come up with a name from my contacts for the same reason.

I'm a miserable b*stard so this sort of thing really winds me up and all my friends know better and just text me to call them or ring from their own phone rather than the office one!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Thank you sir. Average wait is 3 years and I've been on the list for 1 so far. Of course, someone can offer to donate one to me *hint, hint* :)

I understand we only need 1 kidney (is that correct?) but if someone were to donate one, and that persons remaining kidney failed then the donor would be in the same position as your donee!

I wish you well of course. :)

Never answer unknown / witheld.

If it's important they can leave a message.

Also I generally look up unknowns later on the internet and if they are known sales numbers I block them with blacklist app.

Precisely, if it is important they will leave a message and as I have call screening enabled I can always pick up, having just heard the phone and being at the other end of the house or in the loo:whistle:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Never answer from a withheld/unknown number.

I usually do 'cos it's great winding up these cold callers/thieves/scammers who want to repair your "windows operating system" or just sell you double glazing. I just keep giving them as much bullshit as possible to hopefully run up their phone bills from India, wherever. If you want to get rid of them quickly, just say you've intercepted the line on behalf of some internet fraud unit; they usually hang up quite quickly.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I understand we only need 1 kidney (is that correct?) but if you were to donate one, and your other one failed then the donor would be in the same position as your donee!

Yup, you only need one. I have only had 1 since I was 14 months old, when I lost one to cancer as a baby. Most people live quite happily on one - I have for 50 years - but unfortunately my other one had been deteriorating for the last few years. But your point is valid, if you donated 1, you could be vulnerable yourself, but the odds are quite small. Even with just the one operating at about 10% I manage pretty well TBH.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Never answer unknown / witheld.

If it's important they can leave a message.

Also I generally look up unknowns later on the internet and if they are known sales numbers I block them with blacklist app.

Sorry if I'm being thick, it's been a long week, but if it shows as unknown how can you look it up later? And how do you store duff ones on a blacklist?

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
I understand we only need 1 kidney (is that correct?) but if someone were to donate one, and that persons remaining kidney failed then the donor would be in the same position as your donee!

I've donated a kidney and am living proof you can live with one,quite ironically i became healthier,i gave up smoking and started watching what i ate and started jogging.It's a very humbling experience especially when you see the people who need them and the suffering that goes on,shame more people don't donate really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here