Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Unknown chemical "haze" over Sussex coast

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Interesting suggestion in (I know, I know...) the Argus comments section: 'Spillage of cleaning chemicals from a chemical tanker washout forming nitric oxide in sunlight.'

That's just way too sensible and well thought out.

My money's on a Zombie apocalypse.

Aim for the head people, aim for the head.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My money is on French pollution, they are not exactly unknown to this.

Then take them to court and sue them for the amount the brexit bill is.

But there was no whiff of Garlic about the haze so how could it be? Please, if we're to have a serious discussion can you use known scientific facts before adding any further speculation. Otherwise NSC is no better than the tabloids.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
OK porty. Read the science bit on my post. Normally there would be enough wind to disperse the cloud, wouldn't be noticed. But under a high pressure system where there is no wind, the cloud just drifts , kept low down by the high pressure system. Directly from the French coast to Eastbourne.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
But there was no whiff of Garlic about the haze so how could it be? Please, if we're to have a serious discussion can you use known scientific facts before adding any further speculation. Otherwise NSC is no better than the tabloids.
Are you saying The Sun is not a reputable source!?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK porty. Read the science bit on my post. Normally there would be enough wind to disperse the cloud, wouldn't be noticed. But under a high pressure system where there is no wind, the cloud just drifts , kept low down by the high pressure system. Directly from the French coast to Eastbourne.

We need to take control of our borders

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I was caught up in this near Sovereign Harbour.
No effect on me, weirdly, but my female companion had streaming eyes for a couple of hours without explanation (until we looked on the argus site around 10).
No idea what it was and didn't see a haze.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It's not you, it's her. She needs more space. On yer bike :wave:

Obviously I'm used to seeing streaming eyes as a result of my soporific poetry and sonnet quotations.
Or perhaps she was just bummed out that I took her for a romantic night out in Eastbourne.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Interesting suggestion in (I know, I know...) the Argus comments section: 'Spillage of cleaning chemicals from a chemical tanker washout forming nitric oxide in sunlight.'

I find it unbelievable the either the Environment or The Police don't know what this 'cloud' is ? Can't be that hard to get a sample and then a chemical analysis ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So are we ruling out a terrorist attack then?

No one knows where it has come from? Really?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I find it unbelievable the either the Environment or The Police don't know what this 'cloud' is ? Can't be that hard to get a sample and then a chemical analysis ?

The authorities just tend to shrug these things off and move on. Like about a month back we had a humungous explosion in or near Preston Park about a quarter past midnight. Far too loud to be any firework known to man. If you were within about a hundred metres of it going off it would have burst your eardrums and and any shrapnel would have cut you into a thousand pieces. But, no, there never was any kind of explanation. Just one of those things eh? :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A bloke in the pub at lunchtime said him and his missus had to curtail an alfresco drink in their garden last night as they started coughing and her eyes were itching - they're Hastings Old Town, so media reports of 'as far east as Bexhill' are erroneous - it got as far as far along the coast as Hastings. FACT.

We need to deal in facts on this thread, not fiction or speculation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The authorities just tend to shrug these things off and move on. Like about a month back we had a humungous explosion in or near Preston Park about a quarter past midnight. Far too loud to be any firework known to man. If you were within about a hundred metres of it going off it would have burst your eardrums and and any shrapnel would have cut you into a thousand pieces. But, no, there never was any kind of explanation. Just one of those things eh? :shrug:
Traveller van completely disappears overnight.....police investigating (but in reality couldn't give a **** who done it)?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
A bloke in the pub at lunchtime said him and his missus had to curtail an alfresco drink in their garden last night as they started coughing and her eyes were itching - they're Hastings Old Town, so media reports of 'as far east as Bexhill' are erroneous - it got as far as far along the coast as Hastings. FACT.

We need to deal in facts on this thread, not fiction or speculation.

You mean we can't speculate that ISIS is now using chemical attacks supplied by Mossat?

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I vote with those that believe it is a French conspiracy. They have never forgiven us for Agincourt. I'm expecting dead winkles to be washed up in Hastings next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here