Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unfair Euros Fixtures

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There were 24 teams in World Cup in 82 - 94. In the first two competitions, only 12 teams qualified, who went into mini groups of three. 82 was famous for Italy failing to win a single group game, somehow coming second with three points, and then beating Argentina and Brazil in the mini group on way to winning competition (Paulo Rossi's trournament).

The winners of each mini group went straight to semis. Problem was that there were some dead games, a problem that would get worse with the 4 x 6 group idea some posters on here have mentioned (as well as scheduling).

I was against the best third place idea originally but it does mean there is something to play for for all teams in the last match and honestly can think of no better solution. 32 teams in Euros just seems absurd, particularly with the no host country policy adopted for 2020.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I would get rid of pens. At the end of extra time they should just play on under 'next goal wins' rules. This would stop teams playing out 90 mins and extra time defensively in the hope of getting to pens. I realise games could go on for a long time but it would be great fun if they did as the players got more and more tired!

There would doubtless be safety issues raised with this idea.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There were 24 teams in World Cup in 82 - 94. In the first two competitions, only 12 teams qualified, who went into mini groups of three. 82 was famous for Italy failing to win a single group game, somehow coming second with three points, and then beating Argentina and Brazil in the mini group on way to winning competition (Paulo Rossi's trournament).

They only had the second round mini groups stage in 1982. 1986, 1990, 1994 were the same format as these Euro's.

I've still got all 4 of my Ladybird World cup books for those tournaments:

Cameroon also drew all 3 games in Italy's group in 1982, but finished 3rd due to an inferior goals scored record. England were undefeated in all 5 games in that tournament.
In 1986 Bulgaria made the 2nd round despite losing to Argentina and only drawing with South Korea and Italy in the first round.
In 1990, Holland and The Republic of Ireland made the second round after drawing all 3 group games. Ireland finished 2nd in the group after the drawing of lots, as their record and head-to-head was identical to the Dutch.

In impeccable handwriting for one so young, my 1982 Ladybird book also reveals the legend: Hungary 10-1 El Salvador......................................

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The obvious answer would be to not have 6 groups :shrug:

They could have had 8 groups of 3 with only the winners going straight through to the last 8

OR

8 Groups of 3 where only one team gets knocked out in each group and we then have a final 16 teams left

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
They only had the second round mini groups stage in 1982. 1986, 1990, 1994 were the same format as these Euro's.

I've still got all 4 of my Ladybird World cup books for those tournaments:

Cameroon also drew all 3 games in Italy's group in 1982, but finished 3rd due to an inferior goals scored record. England were undefeated in all 5 games in that tournament.
In 1986 Bulgaria made the 2nd round despite losing to Argentina and only drawing with South Korea and Italy in the first round.
In 1990, Holland and The Republic of Ireland made the second round after drawing all 3 group games. Ireland finished 2nd in the group after the drawing of lots, as their record and head-to-head was identical to the Dutch.

In impeccable handwriting for one so young, my 1982 Ladybird book also reveals the legend: Hungary 10-1 El Salvador......................................

Uruguay got through the 1st Round in 86 on 2 points drawing 1 1 with West Germany 0 0 with Scotland and losing 6 1 to Denmark. Yet Hungary won a game getting 2 points also,but went out on GD.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Uruguay got through the 1st Round in 86 on 2 points drawing 1 1 with West Germany 0 0 with Scotland and losing 6 1 to Denmark. Yet Hungary won a game getting 2 points also,but went out on GD.

Quite right. Group F was 'the group of death' for Uruguay. My Ladybird book tells me 30 years later that:

Uruguay 1 - 1 West Germany (Queretaro)
Uruguay 1 - 6 Denmark (Nezahualcoyotl)
Uruguay 0 - 0 Scotland (Nezahualcoyotl)

Group C for Hungary:

Hungary 0 - 6 USSR (Irapuato)
Hungary 2 - 0 Canada (Irapuato)
Hungary 0 - 3 France (Leon)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here