Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Underrated Welbeck

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I just wanted to start a thread in appreciation of the contribution of Danny Welbeck.

Understandably Ferguson gets a lot of headlines along with other other young exciting attacking talent but over the past three seasons many of our biggest and most iconic wins have come with him leading the line.

When we talk about value for money signings Veltman and Gross rightly get the mentions but as a free signing Welbeck must be right up there.

19 premier league goals (with no penalties to bump up the numbers) and counting is a really good return from a free signing. From all reports his professionalism around the club also has a really positive impact on the younger players.

He definitely goes under the radar a little bit but I’m delighted we have him.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
He has been such a phenomenal signing.

Another example of a player that has been right for us, and we have been the right club for him.

He's put in so many good performances for us, scored lots of great and important goals spanning many seasons now. Great attitude & role model. Great experience for our young players to learn from.

I think with players like this, the last thing they need is to be rushed back if they have problematic recurring injuries. - BHAFC doesn't do that - we're patient, cautious and bring players in when they feel fit and ready. Lallana & Lamptey are further examples of this - I'm sure they all appreciate it.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with others, there may have been a chorus of worry about his injuries when he signed for us, but he's put that to bed and his influence on and off the pitch is always noticeable and not just with the strikers. I bet he's been a strong shoulder for Lamptey to lean on over the last 18 months.

The blend we have, which also benefits the old war horses, as much as the young guns is spot on. They pass on their experience and get a rolling contract and their coaching badges if they wish. Just another example of how the club is striding forward.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
people see "forward" and expect a large goal tally, overlooking all the other sides to a forwards' game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Does so so so much more than score and assist. Like Evan tbh.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Watching yesterdays game for the second or third time I remember thinking,”Danny Welbeck is a contender for Man of the Match. He does so much knitting it all together as well as his well taken goal. None of that old bollox about not celebrating against an old club as well. Love him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I just wanted to start a thread in appreciation of the contribution of Danny Welbeck.

Understandably Ferguson gets a lot of headlines along with other other young exciting attacking talent but over the past three seasons many of our biggest and most iconic wins have come with him leading the line.

When we talk about value for money signings Veltman and Gross rightly get the mentions but as a free signing Welbeck must be right up there.

19 premier league goals (with no penalties to bump up the numbers) and counting is a really good return from a free signing. From all reports his professionalism around the club also has a really positive impact on the younger players.

He definitely goes under the radar a little bit but I’m delighted we have him.

He could have bumped up his numbers with a penalty at West Brom

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That’s an interesting statistic, I wouldn’t have thought that but reinforces my OP. Absolute steal of a free transfer.
He's got more league goals for us than he did Arsenal and only one fewer than Man U.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We are getting the very best version of Danny Welbeck.
That‘s quite something when you consider he’d been in decline for the five years preceding signing for us.
At Watford he looked well and truly done (Bar one goal).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here