Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Under Gus

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Instead of pass it round at the back for a few passes then let Greer punt it up the pitch to an isolated Ulloa?

I must admit I enjoy watching us get the ball forward a bit faster than we used to, I'd hate to see us become a dedicated long ball team but I like the way we mix it up now.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I must admit I enjoy watching us get the ball forward a bit faster than we used to, I'd hate to see us become a dedicated long ball team but I like the way we mix it up now.

Fair enough. I've been a bit confused by our approach at times this season but agree, getting the ball forward quicker was certainly a slight adaption which was needed on last season's style.

I don't understand why when we have the chance to counter attack we tend to slow the attack down but at other times when we have the ball at the back and could build possession we often resort to more direct balls up to Ulloa when he is often isolated.

Saturday was a good example of an occasion when - particularly in the second half when we were coming under increasing pressure - we could have benefited from a period of just keeping the ball for a bit, but kept giving it away.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does it make up for the 10 points or so we're down as under Gus we always beat the teams at the bottom at home
True enough. I didn't make it clear really, but this was as much an observation on the teams we had played as a default way of playing. Particularly Wigan, who were bang in form when they came here, but would have struggled to beat us under Gus.

If I'm honest, I'm not actually 100% convinced of Oscar Garcia yet (although he has time on his side and I'm delighted with where we are considering the pre-season). But I was and still am a massive fan of Gus' way of doing things on the pitch: the principal that you don't lose games if you don't concede, and that possession is everything.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

See that's the thing that annoys me about our play this season. We still do the slightly dangerous passing the ball around in defence, but instead of having confidence in this and waiting for spaces to open up we then just aimlessly welly the ball up the pitch when our isolated striker normally has two centre backs against him, one of who will be massive.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
True enough. I didn't make it clear really, but this was as much an observation on the teams we had played as a default way of playing. Particularly Wigan, who were bang in form when they came here, but would have struggled to beat us under Gus.

If I'm honest, I'm not actually 100% convinced of Oscar Garcia yet (although he has time on his side and I'm delighted with where we are considering the pre-season). But I was and still am a massive fan of Gus' way of doing things on the pitch: the principal that you don't lose games if you don't concede, and that possession is everything.

Am in a similar situation. Loved our approach under Poyet - albeit felt we could have been a touch more adventurous at times - but not anti-Oscar by any means. Our league position is encouraging so difficult to complain too much. But, while I am pleased with WHERE we are in the league, I am not necessarily as convinced with the WAY we are playing to get there. I worry that just as we have been through a spell of winning games by 1-0, we could equally have arguably lost each of those games by a similar scoreline. I felt there was more control and solidity to our performances under Poyet, if that makes sense.

north stand seagull

Oct 26, 2011
Portsmouth/Brighton
Last season Millwall had 10 men, and Chris Wood still nearly equalised near the end. Apart from that though, I'd agree, we were playing a lot better last year. Gus had longer to get his players playing the way he wanted.

yeah you're right they had 10 men, i had forgotten about that.
that was just one example though, there are plenty of others out there in my opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
that was just one example though, there are plenty of others out there in my opinion.
Yes it was a weird one. We were comfortable, then when they went down to 10 we thought we were home and dry. Then it was backs to the wall, Wood scored, and it all got a bit panicky. But like I said, I agree, we played some good football under Gus. I was very disappointed he fell out with TB.

north stand seagull

Oct 26, 2011
Portsmouth/Brighton

enjoy? wow.

pass to greer. greer looks up, plays an aimless ball up to Ulloa which is gobbled up by (insert name of appropriate lump centre back) and we're either back to square one or have lost possession.

invigorating.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yes it was a weird one. We were comfortable, then when they went down to 10 we thought we were home and dry. Then it was backs to the wall, Wood scored, and it all got a bit panicky. But like I said, I agree, we played some good football under Gus. I was very disappointed he fell out with TB.

And the Wolves game when they down to 10 men at half time, score 1-1, then it was 2-1 to Wolves, then 2-3 to us, for Wolves to equalise on 89mins.

A shocking display against 10 men.

north stand seagull

Oct 26, 2011
Portsmouth/Brighton
And the Wolves game when they down to 10 men at half time, score 1-1, then it was 2-1 to Wolves, then 2-3 to us, for Wolves to equalise on 89mins.

A shocking display against 10 men.

wouldn't call it shocking. wolves were in the top half at the time IIRC and we would have won bar going to sleep at a set piece. my main point was that we murdered teams on numerous occasions last season. when we win this season it's a 1-0 smash and grab that we have scarcely deserved. i struggle to recall a single game this campaign where i've gone away thinking 'we shoud have done them by 4 or 5'. it's almost always a case of 'dull game, we were poor and have somehow managed to get all 3 points'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here