Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Under Gus

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
After 32 games last season we had 49 points which is identical to today. GD then was +11 as opposed to +7.

Yup but we won almost every game from then on, smashing Blackpool and..various other teams that have slipped my mind.
It will be all-but-impossible to replicate that and we will therefore finish with less points.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After 32 games last season we had 49 points which is identical to today. GD then was +11 as opposed to +7.
Taking everything into consideration, that shows what an immense job Oscar has done.

Until we next lose then that Spanish no-mark can feck off and we can replace him with a proper English manager that understands the game and division, like...

...'olloway or Warnock.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Taking everything into consideration, that shows what an immense job Oscar has done.

Until we next lose then that Spanish no-mark can feck off and we can replace him with a proper English manager that understands the game and division, like...

...'olloway or Warnock.

Big Ron please.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Our away form last season was pretty decent though. That's, of course, setting aside the games at Ashton Gate and Oakwell.
We hardly won a game by a single goal last season: won lots by wider margins but drew far too many as well. So, yes, definitely less draws under Oscar...but probably fewer points at the season end.

We had too many draws in games we should've won easily early in the season, because we didn't take our chances and were lacking a decent goalscorer. That changed when Ulloa signed. As you say, there was the odd aberration, but can you imagine the present team beating, say, Blackpool 6-1 and completely outclassing the opposition as we did on a number of occasions? At the moment, we are sneaking games 1-0 often unconvincingly.

Gus's squad was superior, as was our style of football. I really think last season was our big chance. Do we even deserve to go up this season? Our current squad simply isn't good enough. That said, the signing of Lingard after a succession of very average players could give us the lift we need, just like Leo joining us last year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That was as I intended. It's not so much a criticism as an observation that under Gus I can't imagine us ever going two down at home to a team like Wigan but equally, we tended to cock things up in winnable away games where a draw might also have been deemed acceptable.

Except under Gus we played totally differently (plus we were won a lot of games this time last year) so don't really work for me.

You are also aware that Oscar's drawn a lot of games too?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not quite true as we won 7 of the last 14 games, drew 5 and lost 2.

I stand corrected. Thought our record was much better for the last 14 but that may have been because all the other teams around us were losing week-in, week-out and thus artificially inflating our position.
Still going to be tough to take points from 12 of the last 14 games though.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
We may have got 3 points from the last 2 games and under GP may have only gained 2 but in this, a team(Wigan) in the play off shake at this time of the season taking 3 of us at the Amex did not happen last year?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I prefer the old cliche about play below par but still win

We were poor, but the pitch was bobbly and impacted on our passing which was unchracteristically poor.

I think under Gus this would have been a game where we would have leaked a late goal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At what point do we stop talking about Gus?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
At what point do we stop talking about Gus?

Probably never. Most managers are mentioned from time to time. We're still talking about Mullery for instance. Gus was a larger than life character. He left a lasting impression on the clubs supporters and left in such controversial circumstances. He tended to polarize opinion. For this reason he will continue to be talked about.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Well, I don't mind talking about Gus til the cows come home but I do think that the fact that we are more or less in the same position as we were this time last season is absolutely amazing. Oscar joined the club in the middle of a drama, had very little time with the players preseason and if I remember rightly had 7/8 players injured so it was a long time before oscar had any idea who his best team. So I call our current position blooming marvellous !!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I stand corrected. Thought our record was much better for the last 14 but that may have been because all the other teams around us were losing week-in, week-out and thus artificially inflating our position.
Still going to be tough to take points from 12 of the last 14 games though.

Don't quite understand if we gained points in 12 out of our last 14 games last season it can be said that other teams losing artificialy inflated our position. The table dosen't lie and we all start a game with 3 points on offer for a win and 1 for a draw.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
2 wins at the AMEX and who knows where we will be.

Latest thinking ... Looks like Wigan are on an unstoppable roll. If we have any chance of a play off slot think we might have to overhaul QPR or Forest. Might make our final day game a bit interesting

140302 Footie.png

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gus's squad was superior, as was our style of football.

Was it though?

Keeper is the same.

Back four the same except Ward for Bridge, which is only a minor step down. We also have Upson for the whole season instead of El Abd/Dunk for the first half under Poyet, which is an improvement.

In midfield Hammond and Bridcutt out for Ince, Stephens, Andrews. Croft looked excellent until injury this season, couldn't get a game under Poyet. March and JFC have matured. So slightly down but not markedly. Buckley and Kaz are as erratic and injury prone as ever. Spanish Dave and Andy have been off form this season.

Up front Ulloa for more games than last season, Lingard could have the same impact in the next three months that Ulloa had last season. Barnes and CMS are a slight loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here