Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Under 14s Girls disqualified from cup.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
So, rather than calling it an UNDER 14 competition, the organisers should have called it a YEAR-NINE competition.
Schoolgirl error there by the organisors.

The bizarre issue here is that a particularly bright [academically] girl could easily be pushed into school year-9 but for her true age would normally be a year-8.

Many will know I coach county age group cricket and we often "play-up" the better younger talented players. Our philosophy being to pull them out of their comfort zone and provide a stronger challenge as an opportunity to boost their development.

Never heard of a "year-n only" stipulation in all my years of youth cricket, always "under-nn" which allows for younger players to step-up.

I hate junior football for its "win-at-all-costs" attitude / mentality ....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disqualified for playing  under age girls!? That sounds completely absurd!

Unsavory parents... thought scousers were all bar none salt of the earth folk yadda yadda
Unsavoury parents due to them being unsavoury parents - ar8eholes are ar8eholes; ther accent and place of residence has nothing to do with it. People like that would be ar8eholes if they were Brummies, Cockneys.......... or even from Burgess Hill!

The whole scenario stinks, though. Will they try and get us chucked out of PL2 because there's so many 18 year olds in the team? Absolute bollocks all round.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Absolute nonsense.

Shameful behaviour by Liverpool.

Sadly, there’s part of me that isn’t surprised, quite poor……

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps we sh
An under 14s girls team has been disqualified from a cup after Liverpool complained about under age girls in the squad.
The game was re arranged several times, we were drawn at home, and agreed to meet half way.
My daughter played in the game and we travelled up for the day, after full time it was 3-3 and my daughter put us 4-3 up with a few minutes to go in the second period of extra time before we added a 5th with just a minute to go.
Liverpool we’re the holders, and several of their parents were unsavoury to say the least.

If I were Liverpool I’d be embarrassed that they got beat by a team with a few younger girls in it, but such is the desperation to get to the final.
due to the lack of investment in girls football still, there is no U13s girls team and the team and ages was submitted prior to kick off…

I warned my daughter Liverpool will try anything to win on the day, they did as they were very physical especially after surrendering a 3-2 lead in normal time with 3 minutes to go.
it really was a heroic effort by the girls, such a shame they won’t now get to play the final at Stoke Cities ground.

Come on Mr Bloom, or Sussex FA step up

Perhaps we should ask for Liverpool to be expelled for not fulfilling an away fixture because it was too far away, and making the 'home' team travel half way to Liverpool to make it less of a strain for their poor little lambs?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There are lots of rules and regs re the eligibility of kids playing football at various ages. I’m pretty sure it is mainly for health and safety reasons but as mentioned above, always check the rules. If it is a schools rep team then the Schools FA presumably set the rules for managers to follow.
Shame for the kids but give teams an opportunity for a get out and they’ll take it.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
It’s apparently a rule that’s been broken but the rule is nuts. Good players have always played a year or two up. Does the FA think Ferguson should only be playing for our U21s?
Not sure you can play two years up. Silly rule, the school would have done better spending their energy in teaching those girls to defend.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I can’t see how you can kick out a team for “underage” players in a competition for players under a certain age. Just doesn’t make any logical sense.

I often played kids football a couple of years above my age when our teams had injury problems or players missing for whatever reason. There was never an issue.

Having read the rules according to the Argus it’s cause it was some year 8s playing in a year 9 competition, well in that case call it the Year 9 cup rather than the U14s cup (still no advantage to playing younger kids so still a stupid decision).
When I was at school there were kids who were in the year above they should have been...so they could be inyear 9 but a year younger than rest... Agree it's stupid and the sensible way to do this would be to specify an exact date range.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure you can play two years up. Silly rule, the school would have done better spending their energy in teaching those girls to defend.
They defended fine when they had to. We won - that, for the simple minded means that we defended better than they did. 5-3 to us? - defence did its job!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I spent 10 years involved in kids football. There's some unbelievably competitively sad adults involved unfortunately. This is a classic example of that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Embarrassing from Liverpool. Fairly beaten. They should have just sucked it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Obviously this whole thing is a sh!tshow and such a pity that a petty rule like this means a team that won on the pitch gets disqualified on a technicality.

Also congratulations to your daughter for getting picked the city schools team as that’s no easy thing; lots of competition for the places in the team. Well done her.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I thought the rules allow players to play one year up. But maybe the rules for this tournament are different

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There is a certain mentality up there in Merseyside, though many seek to deny it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Kids age groups always have kids playing up 1 year but more than that has not been allowed for welfare reasons so some sympathy with the decision.
That may be true to an extent. But as in all cases like this, I reckon if the full time professionals at the FA are given the full facts and do not raise any objection, they shouldn't be raising objections later. At the very least, there should be a replay.

Altrincham FC suffered on the same basis a few years back. They signed a player from Accrington Stanley, and played him all season, with the local FA having received every team sheet and making no objection; then it turned out that before Accrington he had played in the Faroe Islands and Accrington hadn't got international clearance and so Altrincham hadn't got international clearance and they lost every point they had gained during the season.

Moral: check the rules yourself, and don't trust the FA officials because they don't know the rules and don't see it as their responsibility to know them.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd say there's an issue with the rules as if it's open to Year 9 children you should theoretically play an entire team of children a year older who are back-classed

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When my mate's son was on the Albion's books as a youth he played against QPR. They'd had a youngster playing for them who was playing two years above his age group. He was a bit smaller than a lot of the players but he was really good, and it certainly didn't harm him to play against older boys, so age shouldn't be a hard and fast barrier. The lad himself moved to Liverpool, played for England, moved to Man City and is now at Chelsea. You can probably work out who it is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here