Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Under 14s Girls disqualified from cup.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
An under 14s girls team has been disqualified from a cup after Liverpool complained about under age girls in the squad.
The game was re arranged several times, we were drawn at home, and agreed to meet half way.
My daughter played in the game and we travelled up for the day, after full time it was 3-3 and my daughter put us 4-3 up with a few minutes to go in the second period of extra time before we added a 5th with just a minute to go.
Liverpool we’re the holders, and several of their parents were unsavoury to say the least.

If I were Liverpool I’d be embarrassed that they got beat by a team with a few younger girls in it, but such is the desperation to get to the final.
due to the lack of investment in girls football still, there is no U13s girls team and the team and ages was submitted prior to kick off…

I warned my daughter Liverpool will try anything to win on the day, they did as they were very physical especially after surrendering a 3-2 lead in normal time with 3 minutes to go.
it really was a heroic effort by the girls, such a shame they won’t now get to play the final at Stoke Cities ground.

Come on Mr Bloom, or Sussex FA step up

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
An under 14s girls team has been disqualified from a cup after Liverpool complained about under age girls in the squad.
The game was re arranged several times, we were drawn at home, and agreed to meet half way.
My daughter played in the game and we travelled up for the day, after full time it was 3-3 and my daughter put us 4-3 up with a few minutes to go in the second period of extra time before we added a 5th with just a minute to go.
Liverpool we’re the holders, and several of their parents were unsavoury to say the least.

If I were Liverpool I’d be embarrassed that they got beat by a team with a few younger girls in it, but such is the desperation to get to the final.
due to the lack of investment in girls football still, there is no U13s girls team and the team and ages was submitted prior to kick off…

I warned my daughter Liverpool will try anything to win on the day, they did as they were very physical especially after surrendering a 3-2 lead in normal time with 3 minutes to go.
it really was a heroic effort by the girls, such a shame they won’t now get to play the final at Stoke Cities ground.

Come on Mr Bloom, or Sussex FA step up

It's a shock if fielding under age players isn't allowed. Yours was an U14's team, not an 'exactly 14' team.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can’t see how you can kick out a team for “underage” players in a competition for players under a certain age. Just doesn’t make any logical sense.

I often played kids football a couple of years above my age when our teams had injury problems or players missing for whatever reason. There was never an issue.

Having read the rules according to the Argus it’s cause it was some year 8s playing in a year 9 competition, well in that case call it the Year 9 cup rather than the U14s cup (still no advantage to playing younger kids so still a stupid decision).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I can’t see how you can kick out a team for “underage” players in a competition for players under a certain age. Just doesn’t make any logical sense.

I often played kids football a couple of years above my age when our teams had injury problems or players missing for whatever reason. There was never an issue.

Having read the rules according to the Argus it’s cause it was some year 8s playing in a year 9 competition, well in that case call it the Year 9 cup rather than the U14s cup (still no advantage to playing younger kids so still a stupid decision).
Because their Liverpool and scream

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ridiculous rule and not one you normally see at all. I always thought the limit was the age and nobody above that - anyone under it is fine etc.

Annoying it is actually a rule though as technically it’s been broken ☹️

I’d suggest trying to get hold of the team lists for previous games in the comp and proving lots of other teams have done it without disqualification…?

Well done to the girls and your girl for scoring.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Disqualified for playing  under age girls!? That sounds completely absurd!

Unsavory parents... thought scousers were all bar none salt of the earth folk yadda yadda

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Disqualified for playing  under age girls!? That sounds completely absurd!

Unsavory parents... thought scousers were all bar none salt of the earth folk yadda yadda
This, absolutely. How can that even be a thing? ???

Hopefully the Argus story will be picked up by other bigger media outlets and frantic scouser back-peddling will swiftly ensue :lol:

Last edited:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
as Sheebo says demand that the FA submits you all the team sheets from other fixtures, may open up a can of worms. Sounds like Liverpool were poor losers, sends a bad message to the youngsters.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ridiculous rule and not one you normally see at all. I always thought the limit was the age and nobody above that - anyone under it is fine etc.

Annoying it is actually a rule though as technically it’s been broken ☹️

I’d suggest trying to get hold of the team lists for previous games in the comp and proving lots of other teams have done it without disqualification…?

Well done to the girls and your girl for scoring.

I would agree with this. Particularly if you have played 'under age' kids in previous rounds and gone through without any punishment. Good luck :thumbsup:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I sympathise, however, it is a rule and it has been broken. I’d suggest that the adults involved from Brighton schools are trying to shift the blame a little here. Also this thread reads like it’s Liverpool FC, it’s not.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
as Sheebo says demand that the FA submits you all the team sheets from other fixtures, may open up a can of worms. Sounds like Liverpool were poor losers, sends a bad message to the youngsters.
we have already asked for this and they have denied us this, due to data protection Apparently.
we submitted our team sheet prior to the game, and they let the game go ahead then three weeks after the game they complained and then we were disqualified.

Reactions: Vin

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I sympathise, however, it is a rule and it has been broken. I’d suggest that the adults involved from Brighton schools are trying to shift the blame a little here. Also this thread reads like it’s Liverpool FC, it’s not.
See my post above about them having our team sheet prior to the game.
had they pointed this out prior to the game when the sheets were submitted, the team selection would have been different, this is a new rule as of this year apparently.
Also remember this should have been a home game, and we agreed to travel to Stafford to meet them half way, thus some of our U14s could not afford to go.
Why not call it a year 9 team rather than an U14 ?

It just smacks of Liverpool being sore losers and them having sway in something possibly, probably also the final is against Wirral that would have been a derby game, something fishy…..

Last edited:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
This is madness I tells ya.

You could have played academy players and showed them up more, but instead played players an age down, at an disadvantage and still won.

The world is completely mad.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That's awful.

Awful rule and awful by the parents of the opposition. What kind of person complains about underage players playing in an underage tournament? Just so their team can go through on a technicality. It's pathetic.

It's also detrimental to the development of the players but that's a different argument for a different day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s apparently a rule that’s been broken but the rule is nuts. Good players have always played a year or two up. Does the FA think Ferguson should only be playing for our U21s?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Whilst I have sympathy having run colts teams first thing you do when entering competitions is to look up qualification requirement for players
True, but they had the team sheet with ages prior a week before.
it’s almost as if they thought, oh Liverpool will win this anyway, and if they dont we will disqualify the Brighton team.

seems a bit meh…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
we have already asked for this and they have denied us this, due to data protection Apparently.
we submitted our team sheet prior to the game, and they let the game go ahead then three weeks after the game they complained and then we were disqualified.
That’s pathetic that they had sight of it. Maybe you can ask them to confirm if there were any non year 9 pupils playing in any of the other games in the comp? Just a yes or no. Bet there was.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So Liverpool are complaining they got beaten by a team much younger than themselves.

If I were them I'd leave it. I really would leave it. How bitter do you want to look ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here