Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbeaten in ten or only three wins in ten?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Much better than last year, BUT to be real contenders we should have converted some of those draws into wins. They will cost us later in the season, and we are in danger of tailing off.

Statistically, that's just not true. We have converted enough draws into wins to average more than 2 points per game, which is sufficient for automatic promotion, never mind being 'real contenders'.

PG

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Win at home draw away gets you promoted. We have done that in the last ten games except for Preston and Cardiff where we could have won and Leeds where we went one better than drawing. Therefore one goal against Cardiff would have seen us on target for this.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Burnley - great away point
MK Dons - win at home
Sheffield Wed - solid away draw
Reading - happy with a point away
Preston - two points dropped at home
Bristol City - win at home
Leeds - win away

In the last seven games, seven points at home and disappointed not to beat Preston. Three away draws against strong sides and a win. Not unhappy with our form - apart from Preston, getting draws in the right games. Wins against B'ham and Charlton will show if we're back to our best. Two draws there would show that we have gone off the boil. And of course, we need a striker. Hemed huffs and puffs, but not what we need. Imagine Gray and Zamora in front of our midfield!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Preston has been the only disappointing result, and Christmas came early for them with both Kayal and Stephens missing from our team.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Preston has been the only disappointing result, and Christmas came early for them with both Kayal and Stephens missing from our team.

This, one missing and Crofts would comein, both missing, we'll struggle but so would any team in the division.
Just hope both don't get injured/suspended together

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Glas half full in terms of resilience, quality, gaining respect from other teams, and making the best of injury situation.

Glass half empty mathematically. Brum have same number of points (16) from last 10 games despite losing four of them; reason - they won five. The correlation beween games won and league position is nearly 100% - at the end of the day draws don't usually count for much except at margins, almost as goal difference in effect. This season could be different, granted, given how close top 5 are to one another, but I somehow doubt that loads of draws will make a top two as opposed to PO.

Whatever way you pick this up, you always come back to lack of goals. Albion are a highly effective unit, punching ahead of their weight but just need some more firepower.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Cardiff was probably a bit disappointing as well as a result but not the performance.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Could not care a monkey's about recent w or d form. Fact is, we are the only team in England yet to suffer a defeat and we are second in the league. I'll take that any day of the week thank you.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
With Derby v 'Ull this week, you'd be a fool not to skip around with daisies in your hair, your hat on the side of your head whistling Tia Blake.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Joint top, unbeaten all season, averaging more than 2 points per game, fantastic team spirit. Glass full to brimming for me, in relation to this season against expectation.

But. I think watching on the TV can allow one to be more objective as to our long-term situation. We are a solid team with a game plan that all the players buy in to. We are playing at just about our limit. Comparisons with Burnley 2 years ago come to mind. They were similarly solid. They lasted one season in the top flight. By my judgement, we have a maximum of 4 players who could start at PL level and one of those is 35.

We are having a brilliant season but we are a long way from being PL ready, on the pitch.

PG
Certainly agree with most of this. Wonderful start to the season, and whilst there are too many draws, the away games at Reading, Sheff Wed, and today were all harder games ,(yes, I know!) and if we are honest, I bet there are very few on here who thought we would not lose one of them. Yes, the similarities with Burnley are there, and you may be right in that there are only 4 players capable of making the step-up, though football is a confidence-game; who would have thought that Barnes would be a prem regular 5 years ago? Albion is a much bigger club than Burnley, with potentially more resources, so I would not be so despondent about our chances next year, should we make it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There is only one statistic which is important and that is the number 2 which precedes Brighton. If that is the number there in May then points runs goals and possession mean sweet fa.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There is only one statistic which is important and that is the number 2 which precedes Brighton. If that is the number there in May then points runs goals and possession mean sweet fa.

Well, yes but the reality is that draws don't get top two places. Doesn't make draws at Sheffield Wed,Reading and Burnley bad results just that winning games is what counts at season end. It really is simple: win 27+games and you should get auto promo, win 22+ games and you should get a PO. There are exceptions both ways but that is about the normal way of things.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well, yes but the reality is that draws don't get top two places. Doesn't make draws at Sheffield Wed,Reading and Burnley bad results just that winning games is what counts at season end. It really is simple: win 27+games and you should get auto promo, win 22+ games and you should get a PO. There are exceptions both ways but that is about the normal way of things.

all true but a more half full statistic is the one which means 3 wins in 10 games (but 5 wins in first 7) has given us 4 more points at this stage than Bournemouth, 6 more than Watford, and 9 more than Norwich in 2014/15.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Certainly agree with most of this. Wonderful start to the season, and whilst there are too many draws, the away games at Reading, Sheff Wed, and today were all harder games ,(yes, I know!) and if we are honest, I bet there are very few on here who thought we would not lose one of them. Yes, the similarities with Burnley are there, and you may be right in that there are only 4 players capable of making the step-up, though football is a confidence-game; who would have thought that Barnes would be a prem regular 5 years ago? Albion is a much bigger club than Burnley, with potentially more resources, so I would not be so despondent about our chances next year, should we make it.

I'm certainly not despondent HG, far from it. But the reality is IF we make it there is a huge amount to do to have a chance of consolidating in the top flight. When we were promoted in 79, as El Presidente has confirmed, we resorted to paying the highest wages in the country to secure and hang on to players like Michael Robinson. That is clearly no longer an option. In hindsight, it was also not wise for the sustainable financial health of the club. We would have a serious budget, of course, to bring in new players, but the task would be monumental.

PG

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I'm certainly not despondent HG, far from it. But the reality is IF we make it there is a huge amount to do to have a chance of consolidating in the top flight. When we were promoted in 79, as El Presidente has confirmed, we resorted to paying the highest wages in the country to secure and hang on to players like Michael Robinson. That is clearly no longer an option. In hindsight, it was also not wise for the sustainable financial health of the club. We would have a serious budget, of course, to bring in new players, but the task would be monumental.

PG
Would be a nice problem to have though :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Brum have same number of points (16) from last 10 games despite losing four of them; reason - they won five. The correlation beween games won and league position is nearly 100% - at the end of the day draws don't usually count for much except at margins, almost as goal difference in effect. T

I agree to an extent - but I think the main thing about draws with relatively close rivals isn't the point we get, but the two points they don't get. For instance, lose to Burnley and win against Birmingham - we'd still be behind Burnley (if they win next week as well) - whereas stopping Burnley from going above us by drawing.. Psychologically it's also important for the players - being unbeaten by drawing instils a sort of invincibility - which is handy when it gets really tough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here