Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unashamed nostalgia of 49 and a half years ago

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If I remember right, didn't we play Rochdale away the Saturday before, I'm sure I went to both matches.

We did, and won 2-1. I was at both too.

IIRC Ken Beamish got the winner a few minutes from the end.
Thousands of Albion fans there, easily outnumbered the home support.

If you were there, it wasn't a day out you'd ever forget.
4,000 ish crowd. 3,000 ish Brighton supporters.
Smashed the gate down before the game to break in to the ground.
At half-time, the whole of the terrace packed with Brighton fans behind the goal we were attacking in the first half just climbed on to the pitch, ran the whole length towards the goal at the other end, jumped in to their lot who dispersed quicker than ants under an upturned paving slab, repopulating it with southerners!
One of the best away days ever, and I have done a few!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I was there also aged 15 along with a group of others from Newman in the north stand. It was very crowded but at one point a big lad with a cast on his arm shouted I am going to have a p*ss , circle about 3-4 yards opened up in front of him making the squash even tighter...

Anyone own up to being Brighton's version of the Manneken Pis
I had only been at Newman for 2 (I think) years at that time.
I was there in the chicken run as my grandad took me.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
As an eight year old, it was my very first Albion game, I went with my next door neighbour who was actually a Spurs fan. Nearly fifty years later, I still get the same butterflies in my tummy on match day which I had on that day

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Saw the game from our usual spot on the East Terrace, I remember a chap cracking open a celebratory bottle of Pomagne a few steps in front of us.

Different times.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Arrived late'ish due to work. Normally in the North Stand but that was full could only find a place on the porta cabin west side, when I got up there I was quickly joined by about 50 others was then removed for safety reasons! Then built a raised step with loads of bricks left lying around, management obviously not expecting any trouble. but just about managed to see the game. Biggest game since I started watching in 68.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Wait a minute. The mighty Toon playing a division above us but with a crowd of 14,000 LESS people. Or did they just stop counting when they got to 20,000 exactly.

"Yes, Mr Tax Man, it was exactly twenty thousand, honest guv"

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That was a lovely sunny evening..i ended up pitchside to one side of the south stand goal…apart from the early goal…from a free kick by JT it was a pretty uneventful match (from what i recall) with Rochdale equalising…didnt matter it was a great occasion

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hitch-hiked down from Liverpool for the match, watched it from my favourite spot, west stand terrace between the halfway line and the south stand, then hitch-hiked back to Liverpool after the final whistle. Good times!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Saw the game from our usual spot on the East Terrace, I remember a chap cracking open a celebratory bottle of Pomagne a few steps in front of us.

Different times.

Pomagne - my word what a memory surprised to find out you could still buy it in the 21st century.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I remember being at Brighton v Palace I think in 1975 a Tuesday evening game and it was an all ticket 33,000 sell out

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
A not very interesting stat which I've always remembered from that match is that our last 12 matches - after Pat Saward changed the team after a couple of defeats, bringing in Ian Goodwin and Ken Beamish - followed a repetitive pattern of two wins and a draw - WWDWWDWWDWWD - so it was obvious that the Rochdale match would be a draw. The fact that a draw suited both teams helped too. But what a great night!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
33,300 1976:ffsparr: 2-0 Sammy Morgan, smoke bombs and pretty lively afterwards:dunky:

Thanks, it was a long long time ago ! I remember we won and i remember the smoke bombs and i remember being told we should be there 45 minutes before kick off... I was 15 !

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
49 and a half years ago Brighton were promoted to the old division two - and for all the pretendances at the Amex, the figure officially stated at the Goldstone that night was a record breaking 34,766 joining the party against Rochdale. I was in my mid-teens and standing behind the goal in the North Stand, without any chance of getting out for a pie, a toilet break or anything else for that matter.

It was the biggest and best night in Brighton's history for many, many years - and I idly wondered if any celebration might be contemplated next May (home to Man United on May 7th) - and how many of that team are still around - and would be recognised as the heroes they were on that fantastic May night in 1972.

Brian Powney - Bert Murray - Eddie Spearritt - John Templeman - Norman Gall - Ian Goodwin - Kit Napier - Ken Beamish - Willie Irvine - Brian Bromley - Peter O'Sullivan and sub Bertie Lutton (for Napier).
I was there as a 14 year old in the North Stand. Loved that season, in particular the atmosphere at the evening matches. No need for tickets or loyalty points - just turn up and pay on the gate. Never thought for one moment then that we’d be where we are now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here