Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unashamed nostalgia of 49 and a half years ago

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
49 and a half years ago Brighton were promoted to the old division two - and for all the pretendances at the Amex, the figure officially stated at the Goldstone that night was a record breaking 34,766 joining the party against Rochdale. I was in my mid-teens and standing behind the goal in the North Stand, without any chance of getting out for a pie, a toilet break or anything else for that matter.

It was the biggest and best night in Brighton's history for many, many years - and I idly wondered if any celebration might be contemplated next May (home to Man United on May 7th) - and how many of that team are still around - and would be recognised as the heroes they were on that fantastic May night in 1972.

Brian Powney - Bert Murray - Eddie Spearritt - John Templeman - Norman Gall - Ian Goodwin - Kit Napier - Ken Beamish - Willie Irvine - Brian Bromley - Peter O'Sullivan and sub Bertie Lutton (for Napier).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I was there in the North Stand also, aged 16, remember it well

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very good shout :thumbsup:

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
49 and a half years ago Brighton were promoted to the old division two - and for all the pretendances at the Amex, the figure officially stated at the Goldstone that night was a record breaking 34,766 joining the party against Rochdale. I was in my mid-teens and standing behind the goal in the North Stand, without any chance of getting out for a pie, a toilet break or anything else for that matter.

It was the biggest and best night in Brighton's history for many, many years - and I idly wondered if any celebration might be contemplated next May (home to Man United on May 7th) - and how many of that team are still around - and would be recognised as the heroes they were on that fantastic May night in 1972.

Brian Powney - Bert Murray - Eddie Spearritt - John Templeman - Norman Gall - Ian Goodwin - Kit Napier - Ken Beamish - Willie Irvine - Brian Bromley - Peter O'Sullivan and sub Bertie Lutton (for Napier).

This was my first albion game too and I was near the front behind the goal in the North Stand, with mates from school (Newhaven).

Like you I couldn't move for hours but luckily my bladder was a lot stronger in those days and I drank a lot less tea/ beer too.

What a brilliant night that was.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went straight from school with two friends and because I was a more regular fan I was entrusted with their safety on the trains, crowds etc by their parents.

I was 11.

East terrace near the south.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
POTG as well. Health and safety not an issue then but surprised nobody ever got crushed against those barriers on east terrace

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Only time I ever sat in the south stand seats, just to make sure we didn’t get crushed and could see the game.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
If I remember right, didn't we play Rochdale away the Saturday before, I'm sure I went to both matches.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I was there also aged 15 along with a group of others from Newman in the north stand. It was very crowded but at one point a big lad with a cast on his arm shouted I am going to have a p*ss , circle about 3-4 yards opened up in front of him making the squash even tighter...

Anyone own up to being Brighton's version of the Manneken Pis

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As I was born roughly 49 and half years ago I assumed this thread was celebrating my birth!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I was there also aged 15 along with a group of others from Newman in the north stand. It was very crowded but at one point a big lad with a cast on his arm shouted I am going to have a p*ss , circle about 3-4 yards opened up in front of him making the squash even tighter...

Anyone own up to being Brighton's version of the Manneken Pis

A mate of mine did that at Milton Keynes U2 in 85.
Got away with it about 3 times to get nearer the front :)

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
This was also my first Albion game, aged 6. I remember it quite well, a sea of people crammed into every nook and cranny.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A mate and I went to the Rotherham game the week before, with the simple subterfuge of him saying my Dad was taking us, and me saying his Dad was taking us. It worked so well, we used the same plan for the Rochdale game. We hit a bit of a snag when, due to staying behind to celebrate, we didn’t leave the Goldstone till about 10.30. His Mum phoned my Mum to find out why we were so late, and our careful plan fell apart.
No pocket money for about a month, and told we couldn’t go to anymore games that season.

We didn’t let on it was the last game of the season.

Another memory was being that we were both vertically challenged 13year olds, the Coppers who used to line the back of the North Stand let us stand behind them on the metal stanchion thing, and lean on their shoulders. Probably the best view I ever had in the North Stand.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
061FA090-3C21-4E37-B694-DF5DDDBE7155.jpeg

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was there, 13 years old sitting in the Grandstand not far from the Director's box. Wonderful evening IIRC Rochdale needed a point to stay up and we needed a point to go up. A draw was never in doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here