Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unashamed nostalgia of 49 and a half years ago

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Saw the game from our usual spot on the East Terrace, I remember a chap cracking open a celebratory bottle of Pomagne a few steps in front of us.

Different times.

I trust the plastic cork had been confiscated on the gate ?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Unfortunately for me, my dad hadn’t started taking me to evening games at that point, though I’d done every Saturday match that season. I can’t believe he didn’t make an exception for that game as I’m sure he went himself.

I was still 9 at the time and never held it against him. I had to wait until ‘77 to experience a promotion properly.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I was there at the Goldstone that memorable night. Never enjoyed a game of football better. As I remember, which is definitely fallible, they scored first and John (Shirley) Templeman equalised with a screamer from all of 20 yards. We needed a draw to go up , they needed a draw to stay up so everyone was happy.
I was walking on air down Sackville Road for the bus home.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
It was 1 year old in 1972 if I remember correctly ,. I was at De La Salle then it became Newman in my 5th year (first 3 years was just boys then girls joined when i was in 4th year) .

Sounds about right as I’m 62. It was just Newman when I started

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
49 and a half years ago Brighton were promoted to the old division two - and for all the pretendances at the Amex, the figure officially stated at the Goldstone that night was a record breaking 34,766 joining the party against Rochdale. I was in my mid-teens and standing behind the goal in the North Stand, without any chance of getting out for a pie, a toilet break or anything else for that matter.

It was the biggest and best night in Brighton's history for many, many years - and I idly wondered if any celebration might be contemplated next May (home to Man United on May 7th) - and how many of that team are still around - and would be recognised as the heroes they were on that fantastic May night in 1972.

Brian Powney - Bert Murray - Eddie Spearritt - John Templeman - Norman Gall - Ian Goodwin - Kit Napier - Ken Beamish - Willie Irvine - Brian Bromley - Peter O'Sullivan and sub Bertie Lutton (for Napier).

Marvellous scenes, I was there in the North Stand with my mates as well, we couldn't get into any of the pubs near the ground after the game and had to wait until we got back to Shoreham to celebrate properly.
I was 19, happy days!
:cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here