Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa gone....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Again rubbish. Tell me which big lump strikers do have pace? I don't remember Lambert or Murray being that quick just to give you two. Big strikers are not relied upon on there pace. It's there aerial presence,hold up skills and strength. Besides for a big man Leo had pretty decent pace i thought. Go and watch our goal against Hull in the Fa cup.

Agreed. Leo really struggled against Metresacker and Koscielny in the cup didn't he? Ran them ragged. The rewriting of history on here when players leave is embarrassing.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Leo was a great player for us and I wish well at Leicester. He seems to have contacted himself well during these negotiation. I just hope we invest at least some off the money we got for him back in to the team.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good deal for us. Think we wanted the money now not spread out over time or chunks of it linked to them staying up. That why it lingered. Made £4M profit on him so with 10% or so going to old club and 40% in tax, that leaves 2M to have paid his wages while here. If no tax due to offsetting costs we can at least put it towards some of Ward and Henderson's wages if we splash some cash............ though some will clamour for 7.5M worth of player transfer fees and ignore signing bonuses and wages I'm sure :moo:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yet still scored at a rate of nearly a goal a game at points, even whilst playing very poorly by the standards we know he can reach (partly due to a much weaker side not giving him the support/service he received in the season prior).

We would've been nowhere near the playoffs without him. He's a VERY GOOD striker and in the right set up will score around 10-15 in the Prem.

I wasn't questioning his goal-scoring, just that last season he didn't really have much of an all-round game. He scored goals yes, lots of them, but the rest of his play was pretty poor.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Considering costs of McCormark and Rhodes, £7m is pretty good for one of the best all round forward players in the division, arguably the best when on form.

Think he *might* be a slightly better all round player than Rhodes and McCormack.

But they are both far, far better finishers.

Which at Championship level makes them a great deal more valuable imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wasn't questioning his goal-scoring, just that last season he didn't really have much of an all-round game. He scored goals yes, lots of them, but the rest of his play was pretty poor.

Agreed. But he also had a much poorer attacking unit around him than the season before.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think he *might* be a slightly better all round player than Rhodes and McCormack.

But they are both far, far better finishers.

Which at Championship level makes them a great deal more valuable imo.

Wasn't Leo's goals to games ratio pretty close to theirs over the last couple of seasons?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Leo
Cheers for being a great Brighton player, and for scoring lots of goals, which all good strikers should do. Admittedly, you were frustrating to watch on occasion, especially those times when a small breath of wind would knock you flat, but you always had a decent end product.

Your true class showed through at the end of the final Derby match, when you (and Calde) ploughed through a pitch full of their jubulant fans, past their security, to applaud your own. Did you know you were off then? I don't know or care. Best wishes for the future.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"In an update to the story we first brought you last night, Sky Sports sources have now learned that Brighton have accepted a £7millon bid from Leicester for striker Leonardo Ulloa."

Thank you Ulloa, I'll miss singing that "Who's that man from Argentina song" :(

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Wasn't Leo's goals to games ratio pretty close to theirs over the last couple of seasons?

Brighton are/were a far better team in the two seasons Leo was here than Blackbuirn and Leeds.

He would have had countless more chances as the lone striker of a better team.

In five years time my main memories of Leo will be the goal at Nottm Forest and him with his head in his hands having missed yet another sitter.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think you have to step back and try to be dispassionate about this.

Emotionally, I am sad that we won't be singing the "who's that man.." song again (or at least until we play Leicester in the Prem/Champ in 2015/26) - my memories of the multi-renditions of that at Forest are some of the best of recent times.

But in the cold light of day, you have to take your hat off to Burke/Barber/(Gus?) for a superb piece of 'added value' business. We have never made £4m on a player before. And as much as I enjoyed Leo's delicious finishing at times (Hull FAC sticks in the mind) I don't think he's yet come to turns with the physical expectations (refs, fans, defenders) in English football. I hope he does ok at City, but I suspect he will struggle a bit.

O'Grady is a good Barnes replacement. I back the Club to find a decent replacement for Leo given the budget now freed up.

PG

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Again rubbish. Tell me which big lump strikers do have pace? I don't remember Lambert or Murray being that quick just to give you two. Big strikers are not relied upon on there pace. It's there aerial presence,hold up skills and strength. Besides for a big man Leo had pretty decent pace i thought. Go and watch our goal against Hull in the Fa cup.

Come on, he spent a lot of time falling over and moaning. He is a good Championship striker. If he was that good he'd have been snapped up by a better team than Leicester....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good deal for us. Think we wanted the money now not spread out over time or chunks of it linked to them staying up. That why it lingered. Made £4M profit on him so with 10% or so going to old club and 40% in tax, that leaves 2M to have paid his wages while here. If no tax due to offsetting costs we can at least put it towards some of Ward and Henderson's wages if we splash some cash............ though some will clamour for 7.5M worth of player transfer fees and ignore signing bonuses and wages I'm sure :moo:

40% in tax? Explain that one.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I will be interested to see how he does with Leicester. From my point of view, although Ulloa has been key in our success at certain points over the last couple of seasons, for which I am very grateful, I'm glad we took the £7m :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I would imagine with the losses we have to bring forward we won't be paying tax for years to come.

That was sort of my tongue in cheek response. Companies making annual losses of 14m don't pay tax, and certainly not at 2x the current rate of corporation tax!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I think you have to step back and try to be dispassionate about this.

Emotionally, I am sad that we won't be singing the "who's that man.." song again (or at least until we play Leicester in the Prem/Champ in 2015/26) - my memories of the multi-renditions of that at Forest are some of the best of recent times.

But in the cold light of day, you have to take your hat off to Burke/Barber/(Gus?) for a superb piece of 'added value' business. We have never made £4m on a player before. And as much as I enjoyed Leo's delicious finishing at times (Hull FAC sticks in the mind) I don't think he's yet come to turns with the physical expectations (refs, fans, defenders) in English football. I hope he does ok at City, but I suspect he will struggle a bit.

O'Grady is a good Barnes replacement. I back the Club to find a decent replacement for Leo given the budget now freed up.

PG
Saves me typing all this. Great post.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Big and lardy and too easily neutralised as a goal threat. He'll struggle bigtime. We raided the Spanish second division for a goal scorer once, we can easy enough do it again. Maybe best not to raid the Finnish second division in the same way tho eh? :lol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Good deal for every1. Now looking 4ward to seeing the money used for the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here