Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP's Steven Woofe in hospital after a fight...

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Really? Which hospital was he in there and what is their speciality? A few months ago I took myself off to A&E after a loft ladder came down on my head (no jokes, please, it really hurt!) and the treatment I received was fast and highly professional. The NHS may have its faults, but when the chips are down and you are in a genuine health emergency, then A&E is a good place to be in.
I am also sure that the health care in Strassbourg will be good, if it is anything like what I experienced in Germany for so many years, but spurious comparisons based on no real evidence,such as you indulge in , serve very little purpose.

It's a conceit, mate

D

Deleted member 22389

Really? Which hospital was he in there and what is their speciality? A few months ago I took myself off to A&E after a loft ladder came down on my head (no jokes, please, it really hurt!) and the treatment I received was fast and highly professional. The NHS may have its faults, but when the chips are down and you are in a genuine health emergency, then A&E is a good place to be in.
I am also sure that the health care in Strassbourg will be good, if it is anything like what I experienced in Germany for so many years, but spurious comparisons based on no real evidence,such as you indulge in , serve very little purpose.

I'm afraid we have a band of people in this country now who are constantly on the look out to find another thing to slag the government off for, yet given the choice if the government said they would like everyone to contribute a bit more to keep our NHS running, the answer would be NO. The government can never win.

According to these people the NHS is on it's last legs, and is in chaos. No chaos from where I am sitting, wife, brother and mum have got very good treatment over the last few months, but nobody wants good news. Like I say if people are so concerned about our NHS, put your hands in your pockets and contribute more, because money doesn't grow on trees and the NHS is a very expensive operation to run what will all the people that use it these days.

I don't know of any other country in the world where you get such good treatment for so little contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm afraid we have a band of people in this country now who are constantly on the look out to find another thing to slag the government off for, yet given the choice if the government said they would like everyone to contribute a bit more to keep our NHS running, the answer would be NO. The government can never win.

According to these people the NHS is on it's last legs, and is in chaos. No chaos from where I am sitting, wife, brother and mum have got very good treatment over the last few months, but nobody wants good news. Like I say if people are so concerned about our NHS, put your hands in your pockets and contribute more, because money doesn't grow on trees and the NHS is a very expensive operation to run what will all the people that use it these days.

I don't know of any other country in the world where you get such good treatment for so little contribution.

The treatment my family have had on the NHS has always been excellent and I would happily pay more to keep it that way. People shouldn't just look at their current usage, which for many healthy people will be low, but across a lifetime. My mother is in her late 80s and has required a large amount of help in the last year all of which has been delivered professionally and with great sensitivity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
UKIP are now denying a fight took place. Nigel Farage himself said the dispute got physical, but I'm watching Breakfast tv, with their spokesman trying to bluff his way through denials.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The treatment my family have had on the NHS has always been excellent and I would happily pay more to keep it that way. People shouldn't just look at their current usage, which for many healthy people will be low, but across a lifetime. My mother is in her late 80s and has required a large amount of help in the last year all of which has been delivered professionally and with great sensitivity.

I am not criticising the NHS as it is a unique and true wonder of Britain. But, it can be improved by removing it from political meddling to a semi-autonomous entity run by health professionals. I also think our taxes should be split with a separate NHS tax so folk can clearly see where the money goes and the government of the day can't **** around with funding.

D

Deleted member 22389

I would happily pay more, just to stop the moaning. That's all it takes is a bit more money a little bit more organisation. My mum is also in her eighties too and has had great help. People need to be a bit more positive about the NHS.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

I think this is completely missing the point. They do a great good despite the underfunding. The funding is also a political choice. Rather than spend the money on the NHS the Tory government's first priority was to give the wealthy 1% a nice little tax cut. To then ask the less well off to pay for they NHS is rubbing the country's face in their sh@t. This made the lie to fund the NHS by £350 million saved from leaving the EU and even bigger joke. We are so gullible its almost laughable.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
At least UKIP are fighting for us in Brusels. The groovy Gang would of run away had it come to some proper toe to toe to settle an argument.

Regards

DR

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Hull city of culture big fight mike Hookem vrs Heavy weight champion of Hull Jonny two fists two jags Prescott :rave:
I had not time for Prescott before but I became a fan when he thumped the guy who attacked him and he good fun on chat shows.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Hôpital de Hautepierre, which is part of Les Hôpitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg group.

They seem to have quite a comprehensive list of services...

http://www.chru-strasbourg.fr/liste-des-poles/liste-des-services

D

Deleted member 22389

I think this is completely missing the point. They do a great good despite the underfunding. The funding is also a political choice. Rather than spend the money on the NHS the Tory government's first priority was to give the wealthy 1% a nice little tax cut. To then ask the less well off to pay for they NHS is rubbing the country's face in their sh@t. This made the lie to fund the NHS by £350 million saved from leaving the EU and even bigger joke. We are so gullible its almost laughable.

We all need to pay a bit more end off, may be a seperate fund like HT suggested so the NHS gets the funding it needs. Doesn't matter how much the government puts in, it's peanuts, compared collectively to what every single person in this country could put in. I think most people would be a happy to pay a bit more and it wouldn't be rubbing people's faces in it to ask for it. We understand the situation. We are all responsible for it. That is the reality.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree with your view that everyone wants a better NHS but nobody is prepared to pay the extra tax required to fund it ('everybody' and 'nobody' being exaggerations but you know what I mean.

But I disagree about it getting worse. It really is. Let's say that 85% of the time you get great service. That would be consistent with your experience (on an odds basis). But what if the other 15% of times there was monumental failure risking death? Lets imagine the same stats applied to the reliability of your car . . . . three drives to the shops and I'm sure you'd be convinced the cas is very safe. Ten trips up the motorway, however, would be odds on lethal. get my drift?

All the best!

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
We all need to pay a bit more end off, may be a seperate fund like HT suggested so the NHS gets the funding it needs. Doesn't matter how much the government puts in, it's peanuts, compared collectively to what every single person in this country could put in. I think most people would be a happy to pay a bit more and it wouldn't be rubbing people's faces in it to ask for it. We understand the situation. We are all responsible for it. That is the reality.

The reality is that it's not proportionate. Working people are taxed and pay National Insurance which contributes towards the running of the NHS. Others who have huge incomes are given tax breaks and exemptions. Goggle, Amazon (sorry Bozza), well known coffee outlets, all given 'incentives' yet their executives incomes are already massive. The inheritance tax is about to be lowered again benefitting the already wealthy. The working class already pay their fair share, more than likely disproportionately more than their fair share.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think you are confusing what you see/receive at the proverbial coalface with what is happening out of sight. Like the swan that gracefully glides across the surface but is paddling frantically underwater, staff are under ever increasing pressure and stress. I don't know anyone who works for the NHS who doesn't think differently. What they do try to do, and most of the time very much succeed, is giving great care to the patients. There are more demands on the NHS than ever before yet as a nation we spend a lot less than many other countries on healthcare. As a nation we spend 2% of our GDP less on healthcare than Germany, France, Holland, Switzerland and Denmark. Under funding coupled with a succession of useless chief executives has left BSUH in special measures.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Completely agree. Put a 1p on income tax and you raise 5.5 billion quid. I would happily pay 3-4p more if it was ring fenced for NHS and Education. I don't earn a big salary but its a no brainer for me. Successive govts had tried to cut income tax and use stealth taxes. It just doesn't work. You want a decent Health Sevice, Education, roads etc you have to pay for it

D

Deleted member 22389

I think you are confusing what you see/receive at the proverbial coalface with what is happening out of sight. Like the swan that gracefully glides across the surface but is paddling frantically underwater, staff are under ever increasing pressure and stress. I don't know anyone who works for the NHS who doesn't think differently. What they do try to do, and most of the time very much succeed, is giving great care to the patients. There are more demands on the NHS than ever before yet as a nation we spend a lot less than many other countries on healthcare. As a nation we spend 2% of our GDP less on healthcare than Germany, France, Holland, Switzerland and Denmark. Under funding coupled with a succession of useless chief executives has left BSUH in special measures.

We probably do spend a lot less, but then how much do the general public contribute to these services? I read somewhere that in France you need Health Insurance and the government pays 70%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here