• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Round of 16 - Match FIVE
===

This may be severely unprofessional, but I cannot pretend to care about this match up. A show I've never watched against a show I think has dated badly.

Not The Nine O'Clock News - 1979-1982, 29 episodes

1700820402378.png

I don't really know anything about this show. Finished top of what I felt was a weakish group.

===
VS
===

Red Dwarf
- 1988-2020, 74 episodes

1700821358291.png

I remember being strangely drawn to this as a child. I was a bit too young for it, so it felt a bit dangerous and exciting. I watched an episode a couple of years back and I'm not convinced it has aged that well. Lots of chat about SMEG. A whopping 74 episodes, blimey.

This match will run for 5 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - Group Stage Round Up
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match ONE - Fawlty Towers vs The Royle Family
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match TWO - Father Ted vs The Detectorists
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match THREE - The Inbetweeners vs Only Fools & Horses
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FOUR - Blackadder vs Porridge
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FIVE - Not The Nine O'Clock News vs Red Dwarf
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match SIX - I'm Alan Partridge vs The Thick Of It

Last edited:

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
First few series of Red Dwarf was brilliant but got more and more obscure and silly.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is a tough one. Great moments in both.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Mmm. A shame that other shows have to go out, yet one of these two goes forward.

Will vote for NTNON, because it was bold and memorable AT ITS TIME, though it’s not exactly a programme I imagine many have returned to since.

Red Dwarf was pretty lame, in my view, though only ever watched a handful.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
First few series of Red Dwarf was brilliant but got more and more obscure and silly.
Yeah, agreed, I think I said that in the qualifier. Those early series though, they were brilliant (especially #2). Some lovely one-liners, mainly from Rimmer:
"The whole thing's as plain as a Bulgarian pin-up"
"We've got less choice than a Welsh fish and chip shop"
"She's got an arse like two badly-parked Volvos"
(You can see why @Mellotron doesn't think it's aged well!)

And a classic from Lister when a bit of his lager spills onto the apparently indestructable curry monster and gives him an idea:
"Of course! Lager! The only thing that can kill a vindaloo!"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This one isn't over - as I suspected not the strongest R16 match, hence the very low voter turnout.

A flurry of votes could yet swing this for the Smegheads though.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If this was a football match it would be Cambridge United v Shrewsbury Town.

In the first round of the league cup.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Sorry, but i'm truly bewildered at the indifference for Red Dwarf.

Just the twist at the end of "Queeg" and playing pool with planets at the end of "White Hole" is surely enough to see this scifi comedy classic through this tie

Ignore the lame last few series and please people, do the right thing ...... boys from the dwarf

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Sorry, but i'm truly bewildered at the indifference for Red Dwarf.

Just the twist at the end of "Queeg" and playing pool with planets at the end of "White Hole" is surely enough to see this scifi comedy classic through this tie

Ignore the lame last few series and please people, do the right thing ...... boys from the dwarf
So what is it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not the Nine O'clock News was ground breaking and massive change from what had gone before. It was so good that the memory of it kinda lingers.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Erm, I think we're all beginning to lose sight of the real issue here, which is: what are we going to call ourselves? And I think it comes down to a choice between "The League Against Salivating Monsters," or - and this is my personal preference - "The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society." Erm, one drawback with that - the abbreviation is C.L.I.T.O.R.I.S.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not got too many brain cells still active from that period, tho still clearly recall the NTNON slice-off-the-goolies sketch. Oh, and that sketch where the big MFI lorry drives into a parking bay and all the sides fall off. Both wondrously funny at the time. Or at least more wondrously funny that a lisping cat mincing around in outer space with Craig 'Unfunny' Charles

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just on Red Dwarf, the audiobooks read by Chris Barrie are wonderful. I must’ve gone to sleep listening to “Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers” more times than I care to admit. His impressions are superb and the extra lore is wonderful.

I’m pretty sure they’re all on YouTube (free) as well.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gerald the gorilla. Life of Cleese. Stoutism. I Like Bouncing. In fact all the great songs by Philip Pope. Against the show watched by the kids at uni who never pulled and studied IT (and now make a fortune). I mean come on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here