Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKCC14 - Quarter Final TWO: Fawlty Towers vs Only Fools & Horses

UKCC14 - Quarter Final TWO

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
OF&H is timeless. The poker scene is one of the best bits of comedy i've ever seen. Anyone able to load the clip on here? (I have no idea how)

i would say the opposite. OFAH is very much of its time. i watched the fall out shelter one the other day. a one off example granted, but if you are much under 40 that would seem baffling. plus the fact the culture it's set in is very much dead. FT, although a good few years earlier, has dated far less.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Should really be the Final.

However, because it was funny for far longer, I've gone for Only Fools and Horses.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
For me the writing in Fawlty Towers is just ludicrously TIGHT. It's near perfection. There isn't a single second wasted.

Fawlty Towers.

This, all day long. Fools and horses is definitely second here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Firstly, let me say that Fawlty Towers was a brilliant show, but I can't believe the revisionism that's going on here with regard to OFAH. Not funny?? Incredible.

The longevity of OFAH, the sheer plethora of funny and interesting characters give it the edge in this contest.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Firstly, let me say that Fawlty Towers was a brilliant show, but I can't believe the revisionism that's going on here with regard to OFAH. Not funny?? Incredible.

The longevity of OFAH, the sheer plethora of funny and interesting characters give it the edge in this contest.

No revisionism here. Never found it very funny. Warm and mildly amusing, yes. But not laugh out loud at all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Both enjoyable shows, but I have to block out the final few years of awful OFAH shows and just concentrate on the early years where it was fantastic. Flowery Twats was quality, although some of it has also dated - the "don't mention the war" episode really doesn't stand the test of time, for example. But although FT was formulaic, it must be said that it is to its credit that they stopped making them after two seasons.

I'll vote FT but it's really very tight for me. And I expect the winner here to go on to the final where it shall be rightly annihilated by Black Adder, which itself is timeless comedy perfection.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quality of Fawlty Towers over the Quantity of Only Fools...means a lead is opening up here...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Heading for an upset here I think. I wouldn't be upset with either winner, but FT knocking out OFAH would be a shock result in my book.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Heading for an upset here I think. I wouldn't be upset with either winner, but FT knocking out OFAH would be a shock result in my book.

Not really a shock either way, is it? BOTH shows have topped plenty of "Greatest UK Comedy of All Time" programmes/articles/polls etc.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Would FT have run for 6 series + Xmas specials. I don't think so, an easy OFAH's for me...you plonker

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not really a shock either way, is it? BOTH shows have topped plenty of "Greatest UK Comedy of All Time" programmes/articles/polls etc.

OFAH has won every poll I've ever seen, FT sometimes down in 5th or so.

Bookies would definitely have OFAH as favourites for this one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

OFAH has won every poll I've ever seen, FT sometimes down in 5th or so.

Voted not the greatest UK COMEDY of all time, but the Greatest TV SHOW OF ALL, by the British Film Institute...

In a list drawn up by the British Film Institute in 2000, voted by industry professionals, Fawlty Towers was named the best British television series of all time.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It's all objective but in my book OFAH isn't laugh out funny. It's humorous but nothing more. Fawlty Towers is hilariously funny and superbly written and acted. I laugh just thinking about in.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Fawlty Towers, but only after a replay and sudden death

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
FT has more of a cult status due to the few episodes, however personally I feel some of the humour has not aged very well, whereas OFaH contains pathos, drama, sadness and beautiful one liners usually all within the single episode. For me OFaH.

All down to taste, like both but Sullivan offers sooooo much more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here