Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What do you mean by "genuine"? There's a ****ing civil war going on and quite sensibly/rightly people want to leave. It really isn't difficult to figure out so please stop using the handful of passports they found as a smoke screen.

Of course there is a war in Syria -no one doubts that, but it is possible that that some from Syria are also economic migrants, though it is likely that most from this country are fleeing the destruction, agreed. But that does not necessarily count for those from other countries. When we see them hop from one safe country to another to get to the perceived wealthiest, then the argument that they are fleeing for their lives and desperately need sanctuary inevitably becomes watered down.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What do you mean by "genuine"? There's a ****ing civil war going on and quite sensibly/rightly people want to leave. It really isn't difficult to figure out so please stop using the handful of passports they found as a smoke screen.

well clearly he obviously meant genuine asylum seekers as opposed to economic migrants amongst all the huge numbers of people trying to get into the EU,not just Syrians,so i dont know why you are singling out their civil war as a yardstick.

The first quarter of this year has seen 120,000 asylum application processed in The EU from the 30 different citizenships with the most seekers,...........over 50% (65,585) of these have been rejected Asylum.

Syrian nationals refused Asylum is low at 6%,this figure should become much lower now though with Merkels decision to allow all Syrians asylum in Germany.at the other end of the scale Kosovan refusal rate is high at 99% of applicants refused Asylum.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis..._decisions_in_the_EU-28,_1st_quarter_2015.png

I think with such a high rejection rate generally across the board for asylum its perfectly reasonable to say as he did that it needs to be worked out who is genuinely in need of Asylum and who is not

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
When we see them hop from one safe country to another to get to the perceived wealthiest, then the argument that they are fleeing for their lives and desperately need sanctuary inevitably becomes watered down.

No it doesn't. Their first objective is safety. Do you then expect them to live in a hole in the ground for the rest of their time as it's safer than Syria? Once you've reached safety what's wrong with then, doing what most would do, and searching out a better life?

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Live updates to the plight of the refugees

The reports and pictures are harrowing. Thank-god there are armies of volunteers and the general public helping these people who have literally nothing. You get a sense of what happened to the desperate people displaced by conflict in the world wars of the previous century

Agree. I imagine some of the Little Englanders on this thread will probably **** off to your link though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course there is a war in Syria -no one doubts that, but it is possible that that some from Syria are also economic migrants, though it is likely that most from this country are fleeing the destruction, agreed. But that does not necessarily count for those from other countries. When we see them hop from one safe country to another to get to the perceived wealthiest, then the argument that they are fleeing for their lives and desperately need sanctuary inevitably becomes watered down.

Hmmm. Imagine you a fleeing a country overrun by murderous lunatics. Imagine you are a young fit male with more than half a brain. Of course you will aim for the best economic environment your legs will carry you too. But you are still nevertheless leaving your own country because of the murderous hoards there who will kill you if they find you.

Anyone fleeing a murderous hoard of lunatics who is prepared to settle in the first bit of dirt in Turkey or Greece in which they land is, in my view, an idiot. Of course they will try to get to the place that best vits their needs, somewhere that speaks the lingua franca (English) and has a reputation for stability and fairness, and where they are not likely to be thrown in a refugee camp.

OK, so you may not want them over here, but that's a different issue. Just because they want to come here does not make them bad people ('economic migrants').

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Hmmm. Imagine you a fleeing a country overrun by murderous lunatics. Imagine you are a young fit male with more than half a brain. Of course you will aim for the best economic environment your legs will carry you too. But you are still nevertheless leaving your own country because of the murderous hoards there who will kill you if they find you.

Anyone fleeing a murderous hoard of lunatics who is prepared to settle in the first bit of dirt in Turkey or Greece in which they land is, in my view, an idiot. Of course they will try to get to the place that best vits their needs, somewhere that speaks the lingua franca (English) and has a reputation for stability and fairness, and where they are not likely to be thrown in a refugee camp.

OK, so you may not want them over here, but that's a different issue. Just because they want to come here does not make them bad people ('economic migrants').

This.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the typical asylum seeker trying to reach Germany is travelling through Turkey, Greece, Macedonia, Serbia, Hungray, Austria. in each country they could stop and apply for asylum to Germany, the host country, or another nation in the EU or for that matter the world. they dont, because they believe that by making it to Germany they will be automaticaly accepted there (because they've been told so essentially). in fact they are stopping in Turkey, some have been there month or years, and now take the decision to leave that country to head for another.

if you dont understand why this looks like economic migrants, you are in denial and ignoring all the conventions on refugees. by all means accept them and welcome them to Germany if you please, but dont pretend they are travelling hundreds of mile away from their homeland for any reason other than economic or permenant settlement.

Jan 30, 2008
To many dins on this thread on an emotional campaign due to media coverage, plenty of people seeing it for what it is a long term damage for this country and our continued membership of the EU
regards
DR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I really don't believe the posters on this thread who keep saying they haven't seen women & children involved. There have been countless news bulletins, & hundreds of Internet articles showing families.

nice staw man you built yourself there - no one is saying there are not women and children, some have noticed the bias in the migrant groups to young males.

an idoit or a refugee fleeing war? if safety is provided, whats wrong with that first bit of dirt? so you dont like it want to improve... you are by definition now a migrant and not a refugee. i have no problem with that desire, just dont pretend their motivation isnt now economic (which in my eyes isnt a bad thing). your argument has a substantial flaw as they are not going somewhere speaking English, they are going to Germany. i understand the second language for much or Syria is French too, and they aren't reportedly heading there either.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Absolutely this. The fact is it is far easier to not want them come if you decide they are bad people. This is why we hear the arguments about economic migrants, terrorists and people who won't assimilate. Demonised people are much easier to turn your back on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
nice staw man you built yourself there - no one is saying there are not women and children, some have noticed the bias in the migrant groups to young males.

an idoit or a refugee fleeing war? if safety is provided, whats wrong with that first bit of dirt? so you dont like it want to improve... you are by definition now a migrant and not a refugee. i have no problem with that desire, just dont pretend their motivation isnt now economic (which in my eyes isnt a bad thing). your argument has a substantial flaw as they are not going somewhere speaking English, they are going to Germany. i understand the second language for much or Syria is French too, and they aren't reportedly heading there either.

Of course every migrant has an economic angle. But just because they do doesn't mean their plight is not real. You ask what's wrong with that first piece of dirt? Do I really need to answer that question? Why do you think that refugees should be devoid of aspiration, and indeed not allowed aspiration or risk being 'found out' as having some sort desire above and beyound collapsing in the first available bit of dirt?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Or i might stay and fight for my country like some of them have , ever thought of that ?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No it doesn't. Their first objective is safety. Do you then expect them to live in a hole in the ground for the rest of their time as it's safer than Syria? Once you've reached safety what's wrong with then, doing what most would do, and searching out a better life?

Of course that is their first objective. Then your comparison becomes exaggerated and rather convenient, doesn't it? Perhaps they might not be living in a hole for the rest of their time. I did not say that there is anything wrong with trying to better themselves, as such, just that the argument that they are refugees becomes less than watertight, does it not? If you decide that Italy is not good enough and fancy a bit of cherry picking around Europe, then I think it is fair to say that you become an economic migrant.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Possibly because it was fostering, rather than adoption?

Hungary has now allowed the families trapped in Budapest to go to Austria. Some are being bussed, but hundreds of them are walking all the way via the motorway.
I really don't believe the posters on this thread who keep saying they haven't seen women & children involved. There have been countless news bulletins, & hundreds of Internet articles showing families.
Nope, i've definitely seen Gwylan post that his kids are adopted.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
In response to someone specifically saying some people don't consider the plight of children IN THE UK, it seems a fair enough point to make.
I disagree , his kids are adopted , no big deal, but by dressing it up like he did , he tried to make out it was some selfless compassionate act , rather than just plain and simply adopting kids.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I disagree , his kids are adopted , no big deal, but by dressing it up like he did , he tried to make out it was some selfless compassionate act , rather than just plain and simply adopting kids.

They were fostered weren't they? Fostering is a compassionate act as far as I am concerned and fairly selfless.

edit: no apparently they were adopted so he is in fact a selfish wanker :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here