UK net migration hits record high

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Its no more than an observation that perhaps makes their claims more hollow to me, why not afford similar generosity to children here.

Folk do. It's just that you don't hear about it as helping someone local isn't going to make the news, an international disaster does. There are all manner of things going on in the UK from food banks to helping less fortunate kids with sport. Maybe it's you not paying attention? For example take a look at Albion In The Community?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Would you be just as flippant in response to a vulnerable child refugee or do you save that for UK children ???

It may appear flippant, but you said "why not afford similar generosity to children here"; I was making the point that you maybe someone who presently does not house homeless UK bread children but may potentially want to now house Syrian refugee children, and that is a good thing and not something to be looked down on or sneered at, i.e. why not not.

So, why not not?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Folk do. It's just that you don't hear about it as helping someone local isn't going to make the news, an international disaster does. There are all manner of things going on in the UK from food banks to helping less fortunate kids with sport. Maybe it's you not paying attention? For example take a look at Albion In The Community?

Why not send all the facebook wonders with their A4 scribbled 'I will house a refugee' smugness a list of current UK children that are doomed to a life of social care and have been dealt a hand as bad as anyone.

I suspect depressingly they will run for the door.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
are you ready salted then :wanker:
regards
DR
uploadfromtaptalk1441380633410.jpg

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
IF THERE WAS A TIME TO GET OUT OF THE EU THAT TIME HAS ARRIVED
regards
DR

No because then people may have to undergo the not very taxing and laborious task of getting some sort of visa or work permit, which would be impossible and thats why no british people can ever in a million years work in the us, singapore, the gulf, canada etc, unlike the fabulous eu. Oh yes and you can bring back more wine and take your dog on holiday now. Oh and facilitate the destruction of centuries old stable societies.

Jan 30, 2008
no because then people may have to undergo the not very taxing and laborious task of getting some sort of visa or work permit, which would be impossible and thats why no british people can ever in a million years work in the us, singapore, the gulf, canada etc, unlike the fabulous eu. Oh yes and you can bring back more wine and take your dog on holiday now. Oh and facilitate the destruction of centuries old stable societies.
silly me :D
regards
DR

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Why not send all the facebook wonders with their A4 scribbled 'I will house a refugee' smugness a list of current UK children that are doomed to a life of social care and have been dealt a hand as bad as anyone.

I suspect depressingly they will run for the door.

Well i daresay many on here will be joining this scheme, unfortunately for BF and HT they will not be able to participate, but their input on what we should do in the UK is greatly received.

"NACCOM (The No Accommodation Network) is a network of organisations across the UK supporting destitute asylum seekers and refugees through the provision of accommodation.
The network is one way organisations can share ideas and expertise, and encourage one another. The network would also be helpful to those who are considering providing accommodation to asylum seekers and refugees in their community."
http://boaztrust.org.uk/get-involved/naccom/

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
My point remains, why would it take recent events for some people to somehow find compassion in world full of reasons to be moved by sadness everyday, we are told some are now willing to house Syrian refugees (accepting its unlikely to ever happen) whilst never finding the same compassion previously, currently or in the future for equally vulnerable people here in the UK.

Its no more than an observation that perhaps makes their claims more hollow to me, why not afford similar generosity to children here.

I think there's a continual momentum towards being compassionate, but at times like this, when a series of significant incidents occur it galvanises people into action.

As far as similar generosity to children here. Maybe they think that children here are afforded a certain level of care from the state and UK charities, whereas those in boats or in refugee camps aren't.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
No because then people may have to undergo the not very taxing and laborious task of getting some sort of visa or work permit, which would be impossible and thats why no british people can ever in a million years work in the us, singapore, the gulf, canada etc, unlike the fabulous eu. Oh yes and you can bring back more wine and take your dog on holiday now. Oh and facilitate the destruction of centuries old stable societies.

I bet you're the sort of person who also moans about beauracracy.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I bet you're the sort of person who also moans about beauracracy.

Not that fussed to be honest. My post stated that those sorts of processes are not the enormous barriers euro zealots make out. Therecore, you could hazard a guess i dont generally moan about bureaucracy. But its that stance isnt it, that anyone not on board with this forward thinking project is blimpish or a shaking cliched mail reader.

The eu project is not exactly covering itself in glory yet again.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think there's a continual momentum towards being compassionate, but at times like this, when a series of significant incidents occur it galvanises people into action.

As far as similar generosity to children here. Maybe they think that children here are afforded a certain level of care from the state and UK charities, whereas those in boats or in refugee camps aren't.

I tend to agree, but again I suspect that they do not even consider the plights of children here in the UK, if they did it might galvanise a similar response which it hasnt and doesnt.

It doesnt mean they dont care it just means they inadvertently react to immediate issues as if it is some new event and seem to blurt out unreliable solutions that to me seem contradictory when not lent to those already in need.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
'Syrian passports on black market'
Posted at 17:43

German customs officers have seized packages containing Syrian passports, according to Germany's MDR broadcaster. It reports that both genuine and false passports were found, and police are investigating a suspected black market trade. The passports are much prized by refugees hoping to get asylum in Germany, the report says.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Some did more than just click a mouse.

Here are a couple of examples of the offers that flooded in over a 24-hour period via the Iceland Review Online:

“I’m happy to look after children, take them to kindergarten, school and wherever they need. I can cook for people and show them friendship and warmth. I can pay the airfare for one small family. I can contribute with my expertise and assist pregnant women with pre-natal care.”
“I have an extra room in a spacious apartment which I am more than happy to share along with my time and overall support.”
"I'm a single mother with a 6-year-old son... We can take a child in need. I'm a teacher and would teach the child to speak, read and write Icelandic and adjust to Icelandic society. We have clothes, a bed, toys and everything a child needs. I would of course pay for the airplane ticket," Hekla Stefansdottir wrote in another post, according to Agence France-Presse

That seems rather a specific request from the Single mum.
Is this how the housing a refugee system will work? You put in an order for the type of refugee you want and Syrian Central dispatches the correct one.

I thought the whole point of this caring movement was to just house a vulnerable Syrian regardless of demographics.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I tend to agree, but again I suspect that they do not even consider the plights of children here in the UK, if they did it might galvanise a similar response which it hasnt and doesnt.

It doesnt mean they dont care it just means they inadvertently react to immediate issues as if it is some new event and seem to blurt out unreliable solutions that to me seem contradictory when not lent to those already in need.

It's not a zero sum game. Expressing compassion for refugees doesn't mean that you're indifferent to suffering at home - some of us have already taken in children from the social care system in the UK

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This seems a common trait amongst a lot of people on here. A number of the regular NSC little Englanders seem to be more interested in making snide comments about those wanting to help, as opposed to offering any compassion or meaningful help themselves. I now await the ridiculous "how many are you putting up?" response.

OK, it may seem petty, asking you this, but the point does have validity. If we are going to accept hundreds of thousands, as some on here advocate, they obviously have to go somewhere. In the mindset of those advocating open borders, that somewhere will be far from them, because that is by and large how human nature works. Try getting permission for a windfarm or new houses - by all accounts this meets tremendous resistance from those likely to be affected, even if only remotely. If recent arrivals then concentrate in areas already crowded with immigrants, this will increase the "them and us" that is the inevitable consequence of separate living. We are already seeing this in many towns and cities. UKIP tapped into this, and you might , well, given your location, you might not know that in a by-election last year in Rochdale, the Ukip candidate polled over 11,000 votes in a Labour stronghold. If more immigrants end up there, as seems likely, then there is an increased risk of disharmony. This is the point.
Regarding your point about snide comments, those folk that make them strongly suspect that those wanting to help, are in fact those who say they want to help. Given that this crisis has been going on for a few years, no one on here has said that they have opened their doors to immigrants. Facebook campaigns etc to make one look good are one thing, actually contributing at your inconvenience is quite another and very few really rise to the occasion.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
For sure there don't appear to be too many old people and/or weak people and/or poor people fleeing to safety. And then fleeing again from safety to somewhere that's a bit nicer. Those that have made it this far need to be properly processed and assessed in order to separate those who have a genuine case for asylum from the fly guy chancers, of whom there are patently many. And its the old/poor/weak who are left behind in the stampede to a better life in Europe that should be the main priority IMHO, not those that can buy or blag their way out.

I notice too, that there aren't very many women in the newspaper photographs. A few, yes, but not many. As (round here in High Wycombe) the wives usually walk a pace behind their husbands, perhaps they are following on a later boat/train/dinghy? These aren't refugees, they're economic migrants and their wishes and the situation generally spells, to me at least, looming disaster

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports