Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

I notice too, that there aren't very many women in the newspaper photographs. A few, yes, but not many. As (round here in High Wycombe) the wives usually walk a pace behind their husbands, perhaps they are following on a later boat/train/dinghy? These aren't refugees, they're economic migrants and their wishes and the situation generally spells, to me at least, looming disaster

This is complete cobblers. Cameron's proposal will ensure that the UK government selects genuine refugees to enter the country under the scheme that is being worked up. I'm aware of earlier (unpublicised) schemes to admit refugees into the UK and the people that arrived had to jump through all manner of hoops before they were allowed in.

But I guess there will always be the people who will insist on labelling (and libelling) the victims of war, by arguing that they are nothing but devious "economic migrants" on the make.

Show some humanity!

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Wouldn't this be the best time to send in the military to restore order? Surely we owe it to them...invading an incredibly religious sensitive area in the middle east was never a good idea.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This is complete cobblers. Cameron's proposal will ensure that the UK government selects genuine refugees to enter the country under the scheme that is being worked up. I'm aware of earlier (unpublicised) schemes to admit refugees into the UK and the people that arrived had to jump through all manner of hoops before they were allowed in.

But I guess there will always be the people who will insist on labelling (and libelling) the victims of war, by arguing that they are nothing but devious "economic migrants" on the make.

Show some humanity!

Or perhaps you should show some realism instead of pompously lecturing others? Of course there are victims of war who should not be called cynical - no one doubts that - but there are also economic migrants. Even before Merkel discovered her gentle self, the aim was to get to Germany, Britain or Northern Europe after hopping from one safe country to another - now why do you think that was?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's not a zero sum game. Expressing compassion for refugees doesn't mean that you're indifferent to suffering at home - some of us have already taken in children from the social care system in the UK

Well good for you, if you want to get yourself on facebook I will respect your view and your compassion.

Perhaps you might wish to offer an insight to the opportunities that those suddenly expressing a view to take in refugees that have not previously offered to a similar opportunity to the already desperate children that happen to be British.

It aint a them an us, its the sudden immediacy that is relevant.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe

Show some humanity!

Pity you didn't read my and the preceding posts properly then. You don't counter the point I made - that most of the people in Hungary, Turkey etc appear to be male. You may be a veteran (or prolific?) poster on here but that doesn't entitle you to describe someone else's post as 'complete cobblers' without refuting the point made. So, where are the women then? They certainly aren't in many of the news photos...

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I know a solider who is spouting so much hate on fassbook, do they replace brains with peanuts when you join the army?
No they dont, but Lets see if you can replace the peanuts youve obviously got instead of balls and front him about it when hes home on leave , i doubt it though as he'd no doubt iron you out without breaking sweat.

****ive just seen how you've spelt FACEBOOK you absolute plank ****

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It's not a zero sum game. Expressing compassion for refugees doesn't mean that you're indifferent to suffering at home - some of us have already taken in children from the social care system in the UK
You adopted , so why not put that ? Youre quite simply trying to dress it up as some compassionate act akin to taking in a refugee.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm neither for or against this Syrian mass migration aid, however I have a question based on my own experiences. Last year I lived in a homeless hostel for three months. In that hostel were several families with children ranging from newborn to teens. If we can suddenly magic up accommodation for these refugees, how come we've been unable to do that for our own? I accept many will be placed in accommodation similar to this - old hotels taken over by councils- but given that places in these are as rare as unicorn droppings anyway, what happens then? Genuinely curious. I'm not saying don't help - far from it- the pictures in the media are genuinely heartbreaking, but there has to be other ways of helping rather than squashing thousands more into an already overcrowded and MASSIVELY underfunded social housing system??

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You adopted , so why not put that ? Youre quite simply trying to dress it up as some compassionate act akin to taking in a refugee.
In response to someone specifically saying some people don't consider the plight of children IN THE UK, it seems a fair enough point to make.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
keep-calm-and-welcome-refugees-2.png

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Possibly because it was fostering, rather than adoption?

Hungary has now allowed the families trapped in Budapest to go to Austria. Some are being bussed, but hundreds of them are walking all the way via the motorway.
I really don't believe the posters on this thread who keep saying they haven't seen women & children involved. There have been countless news bulletins, & hundreds of Internet articles showing families.

D

Deleted member 22389

Possibly because it was fostering, rather than adoption?

Hungary has now allowed the families trapped in Budapest to go to Austria. Some are being bussed, but hundreds of them are walking all the way via the motorway.
I really don't believe the posters on this thread who keep saying they haven't seen women & children involved. There have been countless news bulletins, & hundreds of Internet articles showing families.

I have seen women and children in the news bulletins yes, but there are more single men than anything else. Until someone in the EU can work out who is an economic migrant and who is genuine then I'm afraid the current system is flawed. Already there has been incident of fake Syrian passports being discovered, so that already tells us some of the people heading to Germany are trying to play the system. Not fair on the people that genuinely need help, and not fair on the Germans who are trying showing the kindness in their hearts to help out here, and when peoples applications for Asylum in Germany get rejected they are going to be faced with thousands of very very unhappy people which will cause all sorts of complications. Germany like the EU has completely misjudged the situation. Apart from helping it's just going to encourage even more people to try and get to the EU. Better to take people from these camps like we are doing, not only can we process people properly, but it sends the message out not to make these dangerous journeys.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I think you have made your point with all these posters - you are a wonderful person who welcomes refugees. You don't of course say where they are to be welcomed, and I doubt whether you have given any real thought to the "keep calm" bit. Of course we should want to help those in distress - despite what others think, I don't think anyone on here would disagree with that as a fundamental principle - but the issue, as you well know, is not that simple. Folk have grave reservations as to where this is all going to lead, in terms of future social cohesion and infrastructure, and it is not necessarily a case of wacists and wight-wingers. We are now taking in more from Syria, and after the dreadful scenes of the other day, I am sure that most if not all will applaud that decision. If we can at least control the situation, then this will help. But simply saying we welcome refugees, giving the signal that anyone can come at any time, is, ironically, going to result in more washed-up children. Can you confirm that you are happy for totally uncontrolled immigration -anyone can come, irrespective, as your posters would indicate?

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
I have seen women and children in the news bulletins yes, but there are more single men than anything else. Until someone in the EU can work out who is an economic migrant and who is genuine then I'm afraid the current system is flawed. Already there has been incident of fake Syrian passports being discovered, so that already tells us some of the people heading to Germany are trying to play the system. Not fair on the people that genuinely need help, and not fair on the Germans who are trying showing the kindness in their hearts to help out here, and when peoples applications for Asylum in Germany get rejected they are going to be faced with thousands of very very unhappy people which will cause all sorts of complications. Germany like the EU has completely misjudged the situation. Apart from helping it's just going to encourage even more people to try and get to the EU. Better to take people from these camps like we are doing, not only can we process people properly, but it sends the message out not to make these dangerous journeys.

What do you mean by "genuine"? There's a ****ing civil war going on and quite sensibly/rightly people want to leave. It really isn't difficult to figure out so please stop using the handful of passports they found as a smoke screen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here