Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] UK Electric Scooter Law... You decide.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Compulsory isurance is not as good as it sounds. At the moment they are illegal in Brighton so if you get into an accident with one the blame will not likely go against you. Legal and fully insured thier insurance is going to fight tooth and nail for any personal injury and there will be personal injury. I say fully insured because riding a bike or scooter with only third party cover on the road is as stupid as it gets and it is surprisingly not that expensive. If they have no insurance they could end up in the situation of that cyclist who was forced to pay £100,000 for a 50/50 fault accident. Basically you should get insurance if you are going to use one of these anyway for your own good once legal.

Helmets are not that effective (look at what thier rated protection is) and even the AA and cycling organisations have argued that it is more dangerous to wear one. That being said though not a legal requirement the first three questions I was ask by the police when I was run off the road were. Were you wearing a helmet, were you wearing any high vis clothing and did you have lights and were they on (this was in the middle of a sunny day). Then they asked if I was OK :/ .

My suggestion would be that any penalties go on your driving licence and if you dont have one of those against you. Repeat offenders should be banned.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yep……something I need to do.

A colleague of the Mrs got sideswiped by a red light jumper this week. All apologetic at the scene then despite a third party confirming it, something more vague reported to insurers.

Our lad got reversed into by the binmen. The handling agents were a bit uncommitted until I sent the footage. At the time £130 felt like a bargain to save the stress.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The scooters themselves are a great piece of kit but generally seem to be ridden by teenage boys/young men with no road sense and a death wish. Don’t see why they shouldn’t be legal but some sort of compulsory training or something is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The scooters themselves are a great piece of kit but generally seem to be ridden by teenage boys/young men with no road sense and a death wish.

Similar to teenage boys and young men in cars then?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Make them legal with the proviso that the owner has suitable third party insurance the same for electric bikes

And lights and hooters! And only on roads and cycle paths/lanes .

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The things are everywhere here. So far, I've not heard any bad reports, but think it's only a matter of time.

They were very common before lockdown but now don't seem to be so common. But everytime I see one, they seem to ignore road rules.
They should be required to follow thes same rules as mopeds etc.
CBT, insurance and licence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No need to complicate things - and definately no justifiable reason to provide yet another cash-cow for the insurance companies (who are doubtless lobbying the government already to provide them with more income). Same laws as bicycles (electrically aided or otherwise) and enforce them (and bring in legislation that any bike or scooter is automatically confiscated (with no chance of getting it back) if caught being ridden on the pavement, with the police allowed to sell them to increase police funding.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No need to complicate things - and definately no justifiable reason to provide yet another cash-cow for the insurance companies (who are doubtless lobbying the government already to provide them with more income). Same laws as bicycles (electrically aided or otherwise) and enforce them (and bring in legislation that any bike or scooter is automatically confiscated (with no chance of getting it back) if caught being ridden on the pavement, with the police allowed to sell them to increase police funding.

So, you're against being able to get money from someone who rides an e-scooter and causes you injury through their negligence? You are aware that is what most insurance claims are for, third party injuries. I also think cyclists should have some sort of insurance, at least for third party injury.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is set to roll and roll I think. Any original plans of legalising their use in 2021 has been put back until 2022 at the earliest it seems. There's a whole new set of consultations going on now.

I still honestly don't know quite where they fit in, in terms of where they should be used and what legislation should be introduced.

I have no doubt that for many they are the future though. I also believe personal electric vehicles have massive potential, certainly in terms of reducing car use for short journeys.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So, you're against being able to get money from someone who rides an e-scooter and causes you injury through their negligence? You are aware that is what most insurance claims are for, third party injuries. I also think cyclists should have some sort of insurance, at least for third party injury.

I've never been injured by a bicycle (apart from falling off my own in my younger days!) in more than 70 years, and I have no fear of it being any different with scooters.
In my solution, I will be on the pavement, they willl be on the road/cycle track, remember. As a pedestrian, I will of course take the usual care when crossing the road. And I will have the added satisfaction that insurers aren't making huge profits by charging high prices for a product people are forced to buy (if they want to ride a bike or scooter).

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I've never been injured by a bicycle (apart from falling off my own in my younger days!) in more than 70 years, and I have no fear of it being any different with scooters.
I will be on the pavement, they willl be on the road/cycle track remember. As a pedestrian, I will of course take the usual care when crossing the road. And I will have the added satisfaction that insurers aren't making huge profits by charging high prices for a product people are forced to buy (if they want to ride a bike or scooter).

Around here there are at least 4 paths that have dual designation of pedestrians and bikes shared without markings as there are near Rye Harbour. I have never heard of any problems and there won't be as long as the cylists and pedestrians (with their dogs) aren't idiots!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here