Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] UK Electric Scooter Law... You decide.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No tax. No insurance. No helmets.

Classified same as electric bikes.

Restrictions to cycle lanes.

Natural selection will get rid of idiots.

Followed by knee jerk reaction by the Govt.

Don't have one and not thinking of getting one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Again, when making things compulsory, as in helmets in your case, do you extend that requirement to electric bike users?

Compulsory helmets law for cyclists (not just electric) in Australia resulted in a reduction in cycle use. That wasn't the intention of the law.

Guessing the politicians in Oz, just like the politicians in Britain, will never admit they've ballsed it up and repeal bad legislation?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, if it reduces the use of electric cycles then will have to live with that, but the safety issue needs to be in place as head injuries are life changing and at times people need to be protected from themselves.

This is the most interesting talk I've seen on bicycle helmet use. I should add btw, I'm a cyclist and always wear a helmet and wouldn't let any of my kids on a bike on our roads without a helmet. But anyway, watch the video if you can. It's a brilliantly reasoned argument.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Road traffic laws are a bit stale really. Technology has come on leaps and bounds in the meantme. Maybe there will be a distinction between assisted and non assisted modes of transport when a government gets enough time to think about this?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Some good ideas there, many of which I agree with.

Playing devils advocate for a bit though (and perhaps with my cyclists hat on), when do we require cars to only be available in high vis colours?

Yes,I see what you mean.
Why should only electric scooter riders have to be visible and not cars and motor cyclists,etc.
I did think this too,but the issue with electric scooters is that the vehicle is so small I feel in this case that it is essential that the actual rider is illuminated somehow as well as the scooter.
For the scooter I think a front light,rear light and possibly a light that emits from underneath the scooter somehow giving a soft but clear circle on the floor around the scooter.
The rider then needs to be visible somehow which makes the crash helmet the obvious choice for a light but a fixed red light at the back and a clear light at the front would present its own set of problems as the riders head would be turning left and right on a regular basis,which would cause confusion to any vehicles following and possibly blind any vehicles approaching from the front.
The largest most visible part of a person on a scooter is probably the torso so I think a reflective jacket would be essential for an electric scooter rider on the road.
I also wonder if rather than head down the route of turning the rider into some sort of Christmas tree flying down the road if the scooter could shine a light upwards that envelops the rider so they are visible to other road users but doesn't prevent the rider from not being able to see where they are going,like the glow from some one using a phone at night or the neons under boy racers cars?
The lighting of the scooter and it's rider will certainly need some thought with regards to design, but in my opinion it should be standardised and made mandatory.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. Some form of CBT
2. Minimum age limit of at least 16.
3. Compulsory third party insurance.
4. Compulsory wearing of helmets.

I've heard the arguments for non helmet wearing but quick frankly not convinced. When a skull hits tarmac, it is extremely vulnerable.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes,I see what you mean.
Why should only electric scooter riders have to be visible and not cars and motor cyclists,etc.
I did think this too,but the issue with electric scooters is that the vehicle is so small I feel in this case that it is essential that the actual rider is illuminated somehow as well as the scooter.
For the scooter I think a front light,rear light and possibly a light that emits from underneath the scooter somehow giving a soft but clear circle on the floor around the scooter.
The rider then needs to be visible somehow which makes the crash helmet the obvious choice for a light but a fixed red light at the back and a clear light at the front would present its own set of problems as the riders head would be turning left and right on a regular basis,which would cause confusion to any vehicles following and possibly blind any vehicles approaching from the front.
The largest most visible part of a person on a scooter is probably the torso so I think a reflective jacket would be essential for an electric scooter rider on the road.
I also wonder if rather than head down the route of turning the rider into some sort of Christmas tree flying down the road if the scooter could shine a light upwards that envelops the rider so they are visible to other road users but doesn't prevent the rider from not being able to see where they are going,like the glow from some one using a phone at night or the neons under boy racers cars?
The lighting of the scooter and it's rider will certainly need some thought with regards to design, but in my opinion it should be standardised and made mandatory.

Check out the lights on this one. The underside lights are quite innovative. Good for commuting in British weather too.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Here is Bristol is getting very confusing. From what I can work out:

The hire bikes are legal but must be ridden by over 18s with a driving license and must be driven ON the road. All else illegal.

Literally every 16 year old drug dealer is driving one of these on the pavements atm.

Feels like investment is needed and clarity. Would love to see proper incentive to use them, but safely- both for scooter riders and the rest of us.
Feels like they could actually be the future but right now it's all a bit disorganised.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a long time motorcyclist, working in the motorcycle industry, for a company now distributing these vehicles here in Oz, my thoughts as follows

1. No licence required as per bicycles
2. Compulsory vehicle registration
3. Compulsory insurance
4. Limited to 8mph on pavement
5. Limited to 15mph on road
6. No requirement for safety clothing as per cycling
7. Compulsory lighting
8. Minimum age of rider 14 years

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Nothing should be on the road except cars, vans and lorries. We have a network of glorified cart tracks which are unsafe enough for cars, let alone putting people on there with no real protection around them.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Nothing should be on the road except cars, vans and lorries. We have a network of glorified cart tracks which are unsafe enough for cars, let alone putting people on there with no real protection around them.

If safety is your primary concern, wouldn't it be better to have fewer cars, vans and lorries on the roads. The latest figure show that during the first six months of last year, there was been a significant decrease in motorised traffic and an increase in cycling - overall result: 20% fewer deaths and 40% fewer casualties.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
If safety is your primary concern, wouldn't it be better to have fewer cars, vans and lorries on the roads. The latest figure show that during the first six months of last year, there was been a significant decrease in motorised traffic and an increase in cycling - overall result: 20% fewer deaths and 40% fewer casualties.

Yes it would be better but it won't happen. In an ideal world there would be completely separate roads for motorised and non motorised but again, it won't happen. There is no safe solution for mixing the two, look at the cycle super highways in London, all very nice until a road junction where vehicles turn left across them or a bus stop when cyclists have to swerve into the middle of the road.

We can make all the noises we like about road safety but with the standard of some of the drivers/cyclists/electric scooter riders around there will always be deaths, absolutely no getting away from it. I've cycled miles and miles in France and only ever had to cross a not particularly busy road every now and then on a safe junction. We're packed in like sardines in the UK and everyone has about 30 cars, there is simply no room for anyone to be safely on a road in anything other than car, van or lorry.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Check out the lights on this one. The underside lights are quite innovative. Good for commuting in British weather too.

Yes,that looks pretty decent.
At first I didn't like the light changing colour from blue go red until I realised it does this to signify braking/slowing which is a really good idea.
It would be nice to see how effective it is at night to see if that's how I imagined it but it looks quite bright in the daytime so should be fantastic in the dark.
I think this shows how quickly things are moving in the design and manufacturing of the scooters now so the government needs to get some legislation to ensure the scooters meet some sort of standard with regards to lighting.
Great to see they can go through puddles now too which will be essential from a UK consumers viewpoint.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes,that looks pretty decent.
At first I didn't like the light changing colour from blue go red until I realised it does this to signify braking/slowing which is a really good idea.
It would be nice to see how effective it is at night to see if that's how I imagined it but it looks quite bright in the daytime so should be fantastic in the dark.
I think this shows how quickly things are moving in the design and manufacturing of the scooters now so the government needs to get some legislation to ensure the scooters meet some sort of standard with regards to lighting.
Great to see they can go through puddles now too which will be essential from a UK consumers viewpoint.

It changes to a red light on which ever side you turn the front wheel or lean it over to. A different take on indicators basically.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It changes to a red light on which ever side you turn the front wheel or lean it over to. A different take on indicators basically.

Oh ok,that's not so good then,or maybe it is,I'm not sure.
It certainly wouldn't have been good if the scooter rider felt safe that they were indicating and turned right,but I was following in a car and had know idea that red light means indicators.lol.
But That's why it's important we have some legislation to ensure there is a standard for lights so as other road users know.
A.thats an electric scooter on the road ahead.
B.i know from the lights on the scooter the direction of travel and any intended change of direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here