UK Comedy Cup - Group B
UK Comedy Cup - Group C
UK Comedy Cup - Group D

Group C
===

This could get spicy. A strong group.

The League of Gentlemen - 1997-2017, 22 episodes

1700479495424.png

Disturbing and bleak - a bit of a cult show initially but it catapulted Gatiss, Shearsmith and Pemberton into the limelight, and they have shown the talent and versatility to stay there.

Porridge - 1974-1977, 20 episodes

1700479520246.png

Norman Stanley Fletcher, you have pleaded guilty to the charges brought by this court, and it is now my duty to pass sentence. You are an habitual criminal, who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard, and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner. We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences: you will go to prison for five years.

For many this is a classic. Would hope to progress.

The Mighty Boosh - 2003-2007, 21 episodes

1700479581913.png

Burned very brightly at first, but I would argue that it hasn't aged well. Very, very specific to a place and time - the Camden/Shoreditch area, in the mid/late 00s, when Razorlight were this cool new band, and nu rave/indie was all the rage with the MySpace indie disco kids.

I was a fan at the time (right age, in a band etc) and saw them at The Brighton Centre. Found it incredibly funny, but I think that time may have passed now - Series 3 and the Crimping episode in particular is where it really jumped the shark and lost me.

Bob Fossil will always be a great comic creation, but I don't see TMB surviving this tough group.

The Inbetweeners - 2008-2010, 18 episodes

1700479609846.png

To be honest, I always felt it was a little overrated. I saw it as the broader, dumber little brother of Peep Show. Maybe that's unfair? Either way, I'm aware it's very popular and suspect it may have enough to get through here.

===​
Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Round of 16. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 5 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

Last edited:

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I was a huge Boosh fan - I am da mooooon - great show. Inbetweeneers probably ahead in my book for the era it was in, matched mine perfectly so a lot resonated, and I'll be honest was never a massive League of Gentleman fan (feel like if I started watching now I'd like it because it has such a following) and Porridge was too much before my time but very good.

Jay watching adult movies wearing a snorkel and using some sliced ham kills me every time

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm obviously just not the right age/demographic for Inbetweeners - for me it's probably the least funny out of those 4.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm obviously just not the right age/demographic for Inbetweeners - for me it's probably the least funny out of those 4.
Really? I'm 66 and I thought it was brilliant, easily my favourite out of those four. I remember characters like those in my Sixth Form in the mid-70s, and yes I suppose I can see a little bit of myself and my friends in the four of them - and no I wasn't Jay! :)

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I can accept the Mighty Boosh losing to Porridge. I can’t accept it losing to the Inbetweeners though, which is by far the weakest show in this group.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can accept the Mighty Boosh losing to Porridge. I can’t accept it losing to the Inbetweeners though, which is by far the weakest show in this group.
It’s honestly the emperors new clothes to me, The Inbetweeners.

I don’t get what I’m missing that everyone else sees.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This is a local poll for local people, there’s nothing for you here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here