[Albion] Uğurcan Çakır

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I agree there is a middle ground. I think Sheffield United won't do as well this season, as they stick to one set of tactics and teams will work them out. I think they will still be okay but maybe not top half again (although I could be wrong). We are more adaptable in that sense but I think you don't want to change tactics too much and maybe Potter went slightly too far at times. Will be interesting to see how he approaches his second season

I do also wonder if the first season was him trying to work out who can and can't do what. Having seen the players in a variety of positions he will have decided what he does, and more importantly, doesn't want. I have no doubt he's a decisive manager and I have no doubt we have the right decision making process throughout the club. I'm confident our second season will be better than our first.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Pronounced oogrrkan kakir. Fact.

Sorry not fact. The c in his first name is j (like John) in Turkish. The first letter of his second name is ch (like church). The I without a dot second last letter is pronounced er as in the English name Kerr. The letter a is pronounced as in arm and not like cat. FACT :) As for the first part of his first name, it's very difficult to put clearly in writing. Just to make it more difficult, Turkish players are known by their first names and his is harder than the second.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry not fact. The c in his first name is j (like John) in Turkish. The first letter of his second name is ch (like church). The I without a dot second last letter is pronounced er as in the English name Kerr. The letter a is pronounced as in arm and not like cat. FACT :) As for the first part of his first name, it's very difficult to put clearly in writing. Just to make it more difficult, Turkish players are known by their first names and his is harder than the second.

I was just mucking about. It was actually offered online as the pronunciation, but it was English pronunciation of foreign words. Which is what we do, innit? ???

For your bonus for ten, whose name, mispronounced in the UK media, is actually pronounced Yo Han Korev? :wink:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I was just mucking about. It was actually offered online as the pronunciation, but it was English pronunciation of foreign words. Which is what we do, innit? ???

For your bonus for ten, whose name, mispronounced in the UK media, is actually pronounced Yo Han Korev? :wink:

Ah, thought you might not have been serious, and some of the online stuff about this kind of thing, as with many other things, is just junk.

Swansman actually nailed it (really) in #55

Er .. for the bonus, Dutch smoker killed by the habit? Bloody hell. That's a bit easy :)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That’s that then

Next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amazing these journo’s didn’t even know Veltman was signing yet they claim to have knowledge on signings. Classic Naylor Adam L was just a name on a list next thing he’s holding up the shirt, they have about as much idea as we do.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tell Sheffield United that. Or Burnley. More successful than us last season, having spent less and tinkered far, far less.

If I told them that they would say "yes we scouted our opposition and made tactical decisions based on how they play their football just like everry other team in a respectable football league in 2020".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah, thought you might not have been serious, and some of the online stuff about this kind of thing, as with many other things, is just junk.

Swansman actually nailed it (really) in #55

Er .. for the bonus, Dutch smoker killed by the habit? Bloody hell. That's a bit easy :)

My quiz....John Carew...pronunciation from the horses mouth ???

One that made me laugh was 'abelle zaviyay'. 'How do you pronounce your name?' 'Er, actually it's Able Zaviour.' :lolol:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Fanatik report Trabzonspor have rejected a bid from Brighton & Hove Albion for Ugurcan Cakir.
The Turkish goalkeeper has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League in the past few months, and yesterday it emerged Brighton are the latest club to take an interest
It’s reported Brighton have made their first move for Cakir but Trabzonspor have rejected their opening bid for the 24 year old. It’s claimed they offered €15m.
However, Fanatik insist Brighton aren’t ready to accept defeat and they plan to travel to Turkey next week to raise their offer for the youngster.
The Turkish newspaper adds Cakir’s departure from Trabzonspor now seems likely, and that former Altinordu goalkeeper Erce Kardesler, who was his understudy last season, is set to become the No.1 for the Karadeniz Firtinasi.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/brighton-table-offer-summer-target/

albionite

May 20, 2009
Fanatik report Trabzonspor have rejected a bid from Brighton & Hove Albion for Ugurcan Cakir.
The Turkish goalkeeper has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League in the past few months, and yesterday it emerged Brighton are the latest club to take an interest
It’s reported Brighton have made their first move for Cakir but Trabzonspor have rejected their opening bid for the 24 year old. It’s claimed they offered €15m.
However, Fanatik insist Brighton aren’t ready to accept defeat and they plan to travel to Turkey next week to raise their offer for the youngster.
The Turkish newspaper adds Cakir’s departure from Trabzonspor now seems likely, and that former Altinordu goalkeeper Erce Kardesler, who was his understudy last season, is set to become the No.1 for the Karadeniz Firtinasi.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/brighton-table-offer-summer-target/

I thought Naylor said no

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I thought Naylor said no

he did, as did owen. though their source could have told them that purely to either save face from the rejected offer or, more likely, keep negotiations under wraps at a critical stage. though I'll be operating under the assumption that this is bollocks, to avoid disappointment.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
15 m euros is not for an understudy.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Be careful saying that. I suggested a little while ago we’d be in for a keeper. It didn’t end well.

Get your hard hat and your leathers on, there's always going to be criticism of anyone who questions a chosen one. Based purely on his post-lockdown form, we need a new number 1.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Get your hard hat and your leathers on, there's always going to be criticism of anyone who questions a chosen one. Based purely on his post-lockdown form, we need a new number 1.

Is that fair? I don't remember obvious errors. I do remember his outstanding save against Saints. But obviously every single position can be upgraded - if they couldn't we'd be champions. Potter may well want someone who commands his box more and can keep out more shots from distance at the corners, allowing us to play a higher line. Ryan's footwork and instinctive saves are up there with the best though.

Ultimately a goalkeeper is part of that defensive unit and if there are doubts there in the team we wouldn't necessarily know as fans. And it may just come down to having real competition for the spot, perhaps they hoped Walton would provide that by now, but have concluded he won't.

Can I also be the first to query 'work permit', as well?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Be careful saying that. I suggested a little while ago we’d be in for a keeper. It didn’t end well.

Fine, I'll take the bullet to end this whimpering.

I apologise sincerely to you Vagabond for disagreeing on the goalkeeper subject. I, and likely plenty with me, probably didnt realise the opinion "nah, Ryan is good" would be percieved as a personal attack on you or that you would go months asking for apologies.

Move on.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Is that fair? I don't remember obvious errors. I do remember his outstanding save against Saints. But obviously every single position can be upgraded - if they couldn't we'd be champions. Potter may well want someone who commands his box more and can keep out more shots from distance at the corners, allowing us to play a higher line. Ryan's footwork and instinctive saves are up there with the best though.

Ultimately a goalkeeper is part of that defensive unit and if there are doubts there in the team we wouldn't necessarily know as fans. And it may just come down to having real competition for the spot, perhaps they hoped Walton would provide that by now, but have concluded he won't.

Can I also be the first to query 'work permit', as well?

It's a fair argument in my opinion, which is wildly at odds with other people who think he's unquestionable. But I think there's a clear weakness in his game, anything to his left generally beats him. The Southampton save is spectacular, fair play to him - it was brilliant. But so many soft goals went past him and I lost all faith in his ability to keep us in games. I understand that other people disagree, but it's a reasonable debate.

I would be happy to keep Walton as the genuine backup and see how he fairs but I wouldn't be opposed to saying that he hasn't really done anything to suggest he's going to develop as Nick Pope has done at Burnley, so we need a more experienced GK.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Fine, I'll take the bullet to end this whimpering.

I apologise sincerely to you Vagabond for disagreeing on the goalkeeper subject. I, and likely plenty with me, probably didnt realise the opinion "nah, Ryan is good" would be percieved as a personal attack on you or that you would go months asking for apologies.

Move on.

:lolol:

As we've seen with the Leeds thing, if Vagabond has an opinion on something, he's quite persistent with it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports