[News] Uganda stuck in the Dark Ages?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The link between commonwealth countries and (lack of ) LGBT rights is striking and another part of our colonial legacy to be carefully brushed under the carpet at every opportunity. That of course doesn't excuse the current ignorance and stubborn prejudice of those enacting these laws. Life for LGBT people in Uganda must be hell.

Naming no names (Jacob Rees Mogg), I suspect one or two of the more 'traditional' members of our current government (Jacob Rees Mogg) will be looking wistfully at the Ugandan laws and wishing they could get away with it here (Jacob Rees Mogg).

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Homosexuality is illegal in the following countries;

Afghanistan (potential death penalty)
Algeria
Antigua & Barbuda
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bhutan
Brunei (potential death penalty)
Burundi
Cameroon
Chad
Comoros
Cook Islands
Dominica
Egypt
Eritrea
Eswatini
Ethiopia
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guinea
Guyana
Iran (potential death penalty)
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Kuwait
Lebanon
Liberia
Libya
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mauritania (potential death penalty)
Mauritius
Morocco
Myanmar
Namibia
Nigeria (potential death penalty)
Occupied Palestinian Territory (Gaza Strip)
Oman
Pakistan (potential death penalty)
Papua New Guinea
Qatar (potential death penalty)
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and The Grenadines
Samoa
Saudi Arabia (potential death penalty)
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
Somalia (potential death penalty)
South Sudan
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Syria
Tanzania
Togo
Tonga
Tunisia
Turkmenistan
Tuvalu
Uganda
UAE (potential death penalty)
Uzbekistan
Yemen (potential death penalty)
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Algeria
Antigua & Barbuda
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bhutan
Burundi
Cameroon
Chad
Comoros
Cook Islands
Dominica
Egypt
Eritrea
Eswatini
Ethiopia
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guinea
Guyana
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Kuwait
Lebanon
Liberia
Libya
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mauritius
Morocco
Myanmar
Namibia
Oman
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Samoa
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Sudan
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Syria
Tanzania
Togo
Tonga
Tunisia
Turkmenistan
Tuvalu
Uganda
Uzbekistan
Zambia
Zimbabwe
And none of this list in the top ten happiest countries to live in !

And almost all are either African or Middle East / Islamic countries . Intolerance alive and well I see . Only surprised Russia & China not on the list of unpleasant countries .

Last edited:

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Whilst British media were in Qatar, Aggers and co were in Pakistan for the cricket. However it is not the role of sportsmen and women or media presenters to try to affect the lives of people in other countries, it is for international leaders to exert pressure and influence

But if I’m absolutely honest I have no idea how anyone can help, it’s very sad but what is the solution?

Jul 7, 2003

Algeria
Antigua & Barbuda
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bhutan
Burundi
Cameroon
Chad
Comoros
Cook Islands
Dominica
Egypt
Eritrea
Eswatini
Ethiopia
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guinea
Guyana
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Kuwait
Lebanon
Liberia
Libya
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mauritius
Morocco
Myanmar
Namibia
Oman
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Samoa
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Sudan
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Syria
Tanzania
Togo
Tonga
Tunisia
Turkmenistan
Tuvalu
Uganda
Uzbekistan
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Surprised how many Caribbean countries are on that list

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This being the same century that has given us an endless supply of pathetic reality relationship shows with women dressed in bikinis flaunting themselves almost in ritualistic way to men all in the name of entertainment ffs.
Escaping from persecution from a pathetic reality relationship is not yet grounds for policital asylum. Maybe have a think about that with your whataboutery.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Me too actually, The Psycho family are off too Antigua next Thursday, I wont tell my daughter as she will probably refuse to go.
Not because she is anything or not, but even at a young age of 13 she has class mates and friends that identify as various sexualities etc and is passionate about peoples rights right across the board.
Which I am proud of considering some of her grandparents views !

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Me too actually, The Psycho family are off too Antigua next Thursday, I wont tell my daughter as she will probably refuse to go.
Not because she is anything or not, but even at a young age of 13 she has class mates and friends that identify as various sexualities etc and is passionate about peoples rights right across the board.
Which I am proud of considering some of her grandparents views !
My children also have somewhat outdated views to contend with from their grandparents 🙄

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In part, it's a by-product of slavery. Britain helped to create it.

"...the vilification of Jamaican homophobia implies more than a failure to accept postcolonial politics. It's a failure to recognise 400 years of Jamaican history, starting with the sodomy of male slaves by their white owners as a means of humiliation. Slavery laid the foundations of homophobia, and its legacy is still unmistakable in the precarious, overexaggerated masculinity of many men in Jamaica.

Every ingredient of Jamaica's homophobia implicates Britain, whose role has maintained the conditions conducive to homophobia, from slavery through to the debt that makes education unaffordable. For us to vilify Jamaicans for an attitude of which we were the architects is shameful. To do so in the name of liberal values is meaningless.

Real liberal values would demand debt relief, fair trade, investment - all the boring, complicated features required for a functional and just society. If that happened, homophobia would soon organically dissolve.

Jamaicans weren't the architects of their ideas about homosexuality; we were. The idea that shouting at them will change their minds is no less ignorant and irrational than homophobia itself."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/jan/05/gayrights.comment

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In part, it's a by-product of slavery. Britain helped to create it.

"...the vilification of Jamaican homophobia implies more than a failure to accept postcolonial politics. It's a failure to recognise 400 years of Jamaican history, starting with the sodomy of male slaves by their white owners as a means of humiliation. Slavery laid the foundations of homophobia, and its legacy is still unmistakable in the precarious, overexaggerated masculinity of many men in Jamaica.

Every ingredient of Jamaica's homophobia implicates Britain, whose role has maintained the conditions conducive to homophobia, from slavery through to the debt that makes education unaffordable. For us to vilify Jamaicans for an attitude of which we were the architects is shameful. To do so in the name of liberal values is meaningless.

Real liberal values would demand debt relief, fair trade, investment - all the boring, complicated features required for a functional and just society. If that happened, homophobia would soon organically dissolve.

Jamaicans weren't the architects of their ideas about homosexuality; we were. The idea that shouting at them will change their minds is no less ignorant and irrational than homophobia itself."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/jan/05/gayrights.comment
As sad and shameful that is for Britain, slavery ended in 1838 and quite rightly they gained independence in 1962, I would to suggest to partly throw off the colonial British history, move forward as a progressive modern country, time to get rid of an antiquated law

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
And none of this list in the top ten happiest countries to live in !

And almost all are either African or Middle East / Islamic countries . Intolerance alive and well I see . Only surprised Russia & China not on the list of unpleasant countries .
Russia certainly should be

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As sad and shameful that is for Britain, slavery ended in 1838 and quite rightly they gained independence in 1962, I would to suggest to partly throw off the colonial British history, move forward as a progressive modern country, time to get rid of an antiquated law
Its just not that simple as "Just become a modern progressive country, ffs!".

The idea that homosexuality was bad was not some kind of scientific discovery. It was an idea that some influential people believed in and spread in every direction they could.

Equally, the idea that homosexuality isn't bad is also not some kind of scientific discovery. Its an idea that some influential people had and managed to spread which ultimately made it legal and somewhat accepted.

The first set of ideas where brought over by colonisers. By the time the people from colonising countries had been swayed around from "lets imprison - at least.. - all homosexuals" to "actually its no problem", they had in most cases f***ed off from these colonies and had less influence on the ideas that were spread there.

In countries that were run by colonisers who were early to legalise homosexuality (Netherlands for example), homosexuality is generally legal (Dutch examples: Suriname, Indonesia, and in countries run by those who were late (such as England) to accept it, it is often illegal.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Very religious. That’s the link, the more a nation believes in it’s particular flavour of magic Sky fairy, the worse a time the LGBTQ+ community has.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

The idea that homosexuality was bad was not some kind of scientific discovery. It was an idea that some influential people believed in and spread in every direction they could.

Equally, the idea that homosexuality isn't bad is also not some kind of scientific discovery. Its an idea that some influential people had and managed to spread which ultimately made it legal and somewhat accepted.

The first set of ideas where brought over by colonisers. By the time the people from colonising countries had been swayed around from "lets imprison - at least.. - all homosexuals" to "actually its no problem", they had in most cases f***ed off from these colonies and had less influence on the ideas that were spread there.

In countries that were run by colonisers who were early to legalise homosexuality (Netherlands for example), homosexuality is generally legal (Dutch examples: Suriname, Indonesia, and in countries run by those who were late (such as England) to accept it, it is often illegal.
I get that, you’re being sanctimonious again, don’t go back to your point scoring I know all attitude.
you know what I meant, have a nice evening.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Have you ever lived in a developing country where homosexuality was illegal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports