Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Uganda stuck in the Dark Ages?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This being the same century that has given us an endless supply of pathetic reality relationship shows with women dressed in bikinis flaunting themselves almost in ritualistic way to men all in the name of entertainment ffs.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This being the same century that has given us an endless supply of pathetic reality relationship shows with women dressed in bikinis flaunting themselves almost in ritualistic way to men all in the name of entertainment ffs.
I think the big difference is choice. The women are not forced to go on these ridicules shows. Sexuality is not a choice.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Interestingly, Uganda had an openly gay monarch back in the mid-19th Century, at a time when in Britain we were still hanging homosexuals.

Colonialism and Christianity brought anti-gay laws to Uganda in the late 1900s.

Of course, this doesn't excuse these laws being upheld and strengthened in the 21st century but it should be noted that commonwealth nations tend to be disproportionately homophobic.

Hopefully, these attitudes wil shift over time. It took Britain until the 1960s to repeal anti-sodomy laws. The French had done it more than 200 years earlier.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This post makes 0 sense accept a cheap dig at the OP 🤷🏻‍♂️

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is also a death sentence for 'aggravated homosexuality' in that legislation.
Which, of course, leaves folk open to blackmail and political control. Incredible to think this is 2023. Clearly not there.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Whilst these laws are horrific, please remeber there are plenty of countries a lot closer to home where homosexulaity is illegal, or there are discriminatory laws in effect. Italy has started enacting regulations preventing same sex couples from regestering as parents of children, Hungary is enacting anti gay legislation, america is quickly going backwards with supreme court possibly looking at repealing the same sex marriage legislation following on from striking down roe v wade, and are banning books and edcucation with the slightest hint of positivity towards same sex relationships. The Middle east has some horrific anti lgbt laws and punishments

At home, the met police ave just been "outed" as being among other things institutionally homophobic

It may be 2023 but we are not in an enlightened liberal age, even here

But I am sure siomeone will be along later this year with the "why isnt there a straight pride " opinion

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Savages.
& as mentioned above, so are all others in middle East, Africa & wherever else with anything similar.
f***ing savages, all of them

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

They are singing and dancing in Parliament rejoicing in the persecution of people who have done nothing to harm them in anyway . There is joy on the face of the politician as he says police will be reinforced so that homosexuals have no space in Uganda, and would we welcome any of those fleeing this and offer safe haven? no, we would try and send them to Rwanda

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

They are singing and dancing in Parliament rejoicing in the persecution of people who have done nothing to harm them in anyway . There is joy on the face of the politician as he says police will be reinforced so that homosexuals have no space in Uganda, and would we welcome any of those fleeing this and offer safe haven? no, we would try and send them to Rwanda

Which of course takes a modern, relaxed view of the gay community. Oh wait. Hang on. Of course it doesn't. According to Rainbow Migration Rwanda is a very dangerous place for LGBTQ+ to visit or live.

And here is the irony (from the report)

"The situation for LGBTQI+ people in Rwanda is so poor that it is a source country for people seeking asylum in the UK based on their sexual orientation"

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Appalling! Makes our own Home Secretary look almost human, which is quite a feat.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Medieval.

When there was (rightly) outcry about Qatar I think I read that there are many countries in the Commonwealth that have terrible laws on homosexuality as well as countries in the Middle East and Africa. I was unaware that it was still the case in so many places.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Medieval.

When there was (rightly) outcry about Qatar I think I read that there are many countries in the Commonwealth that have terrible laws on homosexuality as well as countries in the Middle East and Africa. I was unaware that it was still the case in so many places.
35 out of 54 Commonwealth countries criminalise gay acts / relations. As highlighted by Tom Daley at the last games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here