Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA cave in on FFP

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Nowhere near the same amount of protest when FFP was not only 'relaxed' in the Championship but blown wide open. A move supported by both our chairman and chief executive!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nowhere near the same amount of protest when FFP was not only 'relaxed' in the Championship but blown wide open. A move supported by both our chairman and chief executive!

No protests from me if FFP is binned wherever that may be !

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This.

PSG are owned by Qatar Sports Investments.
Platini voted for Qatar to host the World Cup
He is COMPLETELY in the Arabs pockets - so the moment they start kicking off about FFP stifling their investment, surprise surprise, Platini bends over to take it up the chocolate starfish and starts talking about relaxing the rules. The smelly french brie-munching slag.

You've missed out the word ' corrupt 'from his description.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Now FFP seems to be a thing of the past, should we now strategically throw the kitchen sink at promotion? Get the necessary players in on higher transfer fees and wages. If you can't beat them...

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Go bust trying?

'Strategically'. Bringing in 5 or 6 players, in key positions, who aren't shot but who have past experience of getting out of the Championship at the right end. Easier said than done, obviously.

Edit: We should attempt to bring in Anthony Knockaert for starters.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I met one of those on a trip to Dieppe in the early 80's.

It was like going down on Rick Stein's bin.

Just spent a good 2 minutes laughing like a ****. Lovely phrasing there :bowdown:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All very depressing.

The main problem is that no club is going to go bust if rich owners keep providing fresh equity.

If no club is going to go bust, is there a problem? You won't find the fans of Chelsea or City complaining about rich owners.I know some
of ours whine about TB, but they're either dumb or closet anti-Semitic.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It's beginning to look as though the FFP financial prudence that has seen the Albion sell its best players and replace them with rubbish has all been for nowt. In the meantime Bournemouth have been promoted to the Prem.

WHAT.A.****ING.SHAMBLES!

Isn't it just.:angry:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
If no club is going to go bust, is there a problem? You won't find the fans of Chelsea or City complaining about rich owners.I know some

Some people on this forum are anti-semitic. That's a difficult one to detect surely. Just because a percentage of people have a problem with Tony Bloom's(not me personally) running of the club doesn't necessarily mean they have anti-Jewish tendancies.

Last edited:

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Can anyone confirm what I was told by a delivery driver a couple of weeks ago.
Apparently either last season or the one before (I think he said last season but cant be sure) only three or four championship teams stuck within the FFP rules (the Albion being one of them). The rest either did not bother to try or just failed badly, but at the end of the season no club were fined or punished because so many didn't bother the FA were unable to punish all them so had to let them all off. I guess it would be because if they all went legal and challenged the FA fines or punishment it would cost them a fortune in fee's so the FA bottled. More importantly it means the likes of Brighton get shafted for sticking to the rules which makes you wonder why we can have a season where we can break the rules.. IF WHAT HE SAID WAS TRUE OF COURSE.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Can anyone confirm what I was told by a delivery driver a couple of weeks ago.
Apparently either last season or the one before (I think he said last season but cant be sure) only three or four championship teams stuck within the FFP rules (the Albion being one of them). The rest either did not bother to try or just failed badly, but at the end of the season no club were fined or punished because so many didn't bother the FA were unable to punish all them so had to let them all off. I guess it would be because if they all went legal and challenged the FA fines or punishment it would cost them a fortune in fee's so the FA bottled. More importantly it means the likes of Brighton get shafted for sticking to the rules which makes you wonder why we can have a season where we can break the rules.. IF WHAT HE SAID WAS TRUE OF COURSE.

Last season, (2013/2014), was the first season that penalties came into force for failure to comply with FFP regulations. The figures for that season were presented to the Football League by Championship clubs in December.

The Football League stated in December that of those clubs remaining in the Championship, (i.e. clubs neither promoted nor relegated), just 3 failed to comply with the FFP regulations - Blackburn, Leeds and Forest.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Depends.

We either have proper FFP and let clubs go under or we have nothing and let clubs do what they want.

Portsmouth fans thought Gaydamak was the dog's bollocks in 2008 - they don't now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Depends.

We either have proper FFP and let clubs go under or we have nothing and let clubs do what they want.

Portsmouth fans thought Gaydamak was the dog's bollocks in 2008 - they don't now.

Problem is with 'proper' FFP Manchester United would have won the league for each of the last 15 seasons. Only Arsenal have come close to matching them financially, and that was a good while ago. Chelsea, City and perhaps Blackburn too managed to compete with United due to owner investment, which would breach most people's understanding of FFP.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Problem is with 'proper' FFP Manchester United would have won the league for each of the last 15 seasons. Only Arsenal have come close to matching them financially, and that was a good while ago. Chelsea, City and perhaps Blackburn too managed to compete with United due to owner investment, which would breach most people's understanding of FFP.

FFP has tried to be all things to all people and failed completely! It's been 'sold' as a measure to protect the financial well being of clubs - it doesn't. A means to curtail player wages - it hasn't. To level the playing field between clubs - again it hasn't.

Had FFP addressed the real problem faced by clubs, debt, then it would have had a real chance. Instead FFP actively promotes clubs getting further and further into debt via 'permitted losses' and allowing those losses to be covered by clubs borrowing from their owners.

'Proper FFP' based not on the P&L of a club but on the Balance Sheet might have a chance. Allow clubs to make what losses they like so long as those losses are covered by equity purchase not loans. Prevent clubs that make a loss from paying a dividend. That way clubs would not be increasing their liabilities and if a chairman or rich patron wanted to take a gamble on getting their club promoted or higher up the league then it would be real money they would be risking with no chance of getting it back unless they can get the club to trade profitably.

If a club owner knew that the cost of buying a player and paying astronomical wages was going to come directly from their pockets it might make them think twice. This might have a chance of curtailing player costs. It would certainly stop owners taking a gamble on getting promotion and getting the money they have put into the club back from the higher income.

The chance of clubs getting into financial difficulties would be reduced as clubs couldn't get into debt.

Whilst my suggested system of FFP wouldn't level the playing field between clubs per se it would give all clubs the same potential opportunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here