Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uefa backs winter world cup.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... so what if the league is extended by an extra two weeks, perhaps the Premiership could start the league earlier or finish a week later?

it wont be a couple of weeks. it will need to be at least 4 for the tournament, a couple of weeks before to get squads together and probably one after to wind down. 6-7 weeks. say, no domestic football from 3rd week of December to 2nd week of Feb. Championship starting first week of August with the playoffs last week of June or so. (you know this will impact the championship, not just premiership, right?)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The whole thing is just beyond belief, as soon as they read out Qatar I just thought , this is bent, so obviously & clearly bent.
Qatar, I mean Qatar. It's just unbelievable that the truth hasn't come out. So bent, just a joke, but it's football fans all over the world who will be put out.
By Blatters own reasoning of spreading the tournament around the globe, it's crying out for Australia. That would be perfect, just perfect, for everyone.
But no, they pick Qatar. Qatar, just one big joke; but nobody is laughing, except FIFA. Bent beyond belief.

What was particularly pertinent at the time was that Qatar fulfilled hardly any of FIFA's essential criteria for staging the tournament. To say they were rank outsiders is an understatement. No-one considered them to have a chance simply because they fell short in so many ways. Yet somehow the FIFA committee concluded that they were the best country to host it!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That Qatar decision was always bent and totally fuelled by back-handers, same as the Russian one. Phuk FIFA. Just boycott the damn thing. Wouldn't be the end of the world. World Cups come round regular as clockwork and maybe a healthy boycott would force the guys with the numbered Swiss bank accounts to realise the game was up and the gravy train had been derailed.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
it wont be a couple of weeks. it will need to be at least 4 for the tournament, a couple of weeks before to get squads together and probably one after to wind down. 6-7 weeks. say, no domestic football from 3rd week of December to 2nd week of Feb. Championship starting first week of August with the playoffs last week of June or so. (you know this will impact the championship, not just premiership, right?)

I imagine it'll be at least two months - a month for the tournament itself, another month for preparation and a couple of weeks gap after. If it was held in February, the league campaign would close shortly after Christmas and not resume again until mid-March.

And what would the knock-on effect be for the following season? The season might not finish until mid July or August, so the following season would start, when - October?

The disruption will be massive.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For Christ sake just switch to Oz

Not sure if there are enough suitable stadiums, the beer is crap, there are the spiders plus the average Aussie does not understand football. Let's give it in Belgium, good beer, good climate and less spiders.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
All it needs to fall apart is for the sponsors to pull out due to consumer pressure and all supporters to say they won't go and there won't be a World Cup in Qatar

Will Budweiser still be the official beer of the World Cup, even when you can't drink there? (*)

(*) yes, I know you can drink there, I've spent lots of time in the Middle East, but I really can't see certain sponsors remaining on board. If they pull out, it's over.

Aus or the States would have been great IMO.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
All it needs to fall apart is for the sponsors to pull out due to consumer pressure and all supporters to say they won't go and there won't be a World Cup in Qatar

I think that this could be the answer. If enough Europeans for instance boycotted the world cup be it through not buying merchandise or simply staying that they would not under any circumstance watch the thing, maybe the sponsors would stop their support for it.

How to mobilize, that is the question!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think that this could be the answer. If enough Europeans for instance boycotted the world cup be it through not buying merchandise or simply staying that they would not under any circumstance watch the thing, maybe the sponsors would stop their support for it.

How to mobilize, that is the question!

All it takes is a social media campaign to take off and the sponsors will run a mile, won't matter what FIFA say

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All it takes is a social media campaign to take off and the sponsors will run a mile, won't matter what FIFA say

thing is 8 years, its just too far away to gather enough momentum, and by the time it does it'll be too late. i note how various organisations are voicing they are ok with winter, or more that they agree it cant be in the summer, without thinking through the consequences of that. its too removed, most decision makers know they wont be involved then, so they'll say what ever is most politically suitable for the short term.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Have any of the so called FIFA or UEFA nob-ends also considered the fact that many
football fans will find it a lot harder to get time off in Winter to go to the World
Cup.

Probably not.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Fell out of love with international football a long time ago. Componded after SA and the way the local poor communities were dictated to on FIFA's request. FIFA and the World Cup represents everything that's wrong about the game these days, not forgetting that odious little toad Blatter. Also I expect very little to change with Qatar after Australia threatened to get compensation. FIFA isn't interested in football let alone the fans its interested in money first and foremost.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here