Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uefa backs winter world cup.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Fingers crossed this brings in a winter break for the English league both before and after 2022... Qatar will put on quite a show and I think its about time the Premiership were made to bend over for once!!

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Ridiculous idea. I think we should just put our u21s in qualifying and hope we don't get through. Or all the big countries refuse to take part that year.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

TopCat

Jun 17, 2011
While I completely agree that FIFA is a disgustingly corrupt organisation, and that the bidding process was seriously flawed, it has raised an interesting point. If we refuse to ever hold a winter world cup as it will cause too much inconvenience to the money-spinning European leagues, are we saying that countries that have hot/unsuitable climates in June/July can NEVER host a world cup?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Fingers crossed this brings in a winter break for the English league both before and after 2022... Qatar will put on quite a show and I think its about time the Premiership were made to bend over for once!!

Except it will also take the Championship with it too, not to mention we may be a Premier League team then so it would screw us over too. We dont need a winter break - simple as that.

Maybe you should logically think things before posting.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Except it will also take the Championship with it too, not to mention we may be a Premier League team then so it would screw us over too. We dont need a winter break - simple as that.

Maybe you should logically think things before posting.

Perhaps you should learn to appreciate other peoples perspectives before posting illogical ignorant crap....?

How would a winter break cause a disturbance to a season? Spain, Germany and Italy seem to get by just fine, look at the results of their respective international teams in comparison to that of our own. Be under no illusions Brighton are NOT guaranteed Premiership football in the next decade...
And yes as you state it might affect Championship teams also... the 9 games in the space of 5 weeks over xmas is too much in my opinion (as much as I like the home and away days)...It wouldn't harm anyone to spread the fixtures over a longer period of time.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Perhaps you should learn to appreciate other peoples perspectives before posting illogical ignorant crap....?

How would a winter break cause a disturbance to a season? Spain, Germany and Italy seem to get by just fine, look at the results of their respective international teams in comparison to that of our own. Be under no illusions Brighton are NOT guaranteed Premiership football in the next decade...
And yes as you state it might affect Championship teams also... the 9 games in the space of 5 weeks over xmas is too much in my opinion (as much as I like the home and away days)...It wouldn't harm anyone to spread the fixtures over a longer period of time.

How would a winter break not cause a disturbance ? There is NO period over the winter (unless there is an Intl break in either November or February) where there is no games, so they would have to be rearranged and depending on the length of the break, it could extend the season, so as soon as the season ends, your straight into the next pre-season, or you have a break, then have practically no pre-season - either way it will cause disruption, how would the play-offs work too ? We arent guaranteed any league in the future, hence why i say we MAY be a PL team, we MAY not be - who knows.

I do agree that the Xmas Crush in fixtures is too much, but otherwise it would result in a few more unpopular midweek games.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
If Australia want compensation then the USA, Japan and South Korea, the other 2022 candidates will want it too.
A winter world cup would probably have to be at the end of the year as the Winter Olympics are early 2022.
The bloke from the Qatar bid says that not only will the stadiums have airco but all the fan area's too so the tournament will not have to be moved. (The actual technology has still to be developed).

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If Australia want compensation then the USA, Japan and South Korea, the other 2022 candidates will want it too.
A winter world cup would probably have to be at the end of the year as the Winter Olympics are early 2022.
The bloke from the Qatar bid says that not only will the stadiums have airco but all the fan area's too so the tournament will not have to be moved. (The actual technology has still to be developed).

Christ, you may as well have a country that is boiling hot in their Winter bidding for the Winter Olympics by saying "We will make it cold everywhere so Ice and Artificial Snow can exist". Luckily the IOC arent corrupt, well.....

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The whole thing is just beyond belief, as soon as they read out Qatar I just thought , this is bent, so obviously & clearly bent.
Qatar, I mean Qatar. It's just unbelievable that the truth hasn't come out. So bent, just a joke, but it's football fans all over the world who will be put out.
By Blatters own reasoning of spreading the tournament around the globe, it's crying out for Australia. That would be perfect, just perfect, for everyone.
But no, they pick Qatar. Qatar, just one big joke; but nobody is laughing, except FIFA. Bent beyond belief.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
How would a winter break not cause a disturbance ? There is NO period over the winter (unless there is an Intl break in either November or February) where there is no games, so they would have to be rearranged and depending on the length of the break, it could extend the season, so as soon as the season ends, your straight into the next pre-season, or you have a break, then have practically no pre-season - either way it will cause disruption, how would the play-offs work too ? We arent guaranteed any league in the future, hence why i say we MAY be a PL team, we MAY not be - who knows.

I do agree that the Xmas Crush in fixtures is too much, but otherwise it would result in a few more unpopular midweek games.

You only have to type in 'English league winter break' to Google and you will be inundated with responses that completely negate your points. The key one is energy levels, whilst our players are slogging it out in freezing cold conditions in what can be make or break fixtures of 5 games in 15 days, other domestic leagues are recharging the batteries and gaining a distinct international advantage... so what if the league is extended by an extra two weeks, perhaps the Premiership could start the league earlier or finish a week later?

The Football league managed to put its dates back by one week this season, why can't the premiership follow suit for any reason other than finances? English league football is absolutely consumed by the money cultured Premiership, they run the show, arguably provide 'unfair' parachute payments to failure clubs, and dictate our national footballing policies more than any other league in the world.

My point… I would like this ‘culture’ to be altered drastically.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What is wrong with the world cup in the winter?
It might force us to have a winter break, which will be a good thing.

Okay. Maybe a winter break world be sensible at the time when the bad weather most usually disrupts us. Problem is, in recent years we've often had heavy snow in November, December, January, February, March, April. And perversely we've had December's when the weather has been an Atlantic driven mild, mild, mild. We already have a fixture overload in this country. What happens if we decide on a winter break for the first two weeks of January but unfortunately lots of fixtures have fallen foul of an early winter snowfest in December. Picture the scene, a couple of weeks disruption due to snow but then when the weather finally clears up, no, no-one can play, there's got to be two weeks break. Then after the break, the severe winter weather roars back in. Not good.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So many repercussions here...This isn't just affecting the English season, but also the whole Western European season which has the biggest, TV Audiences and commercial revenue in the world...Not just in Europe and not just with football.

I reckon this could be the tipping point for some of the European Football Associations to break away from Uefa & Fifa and create a splinter group.
Er, this decision was made BY the football associations.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would not want a break for weather reasons but so that the quality of football could improve.
Have a break and open the transfer window. Then teams can get training and injuries sorted in the period. Players will be less fatigued in the second half of the season and we wont have the disruption of players coming and going during a period with a large number of games.
Pre-season will be less important fitness wise then as players would be less fatigued at the end of a season.

But wouldn't there be the same number of games just squeezed into two smaller parts? Presumably that would result in more injuries as there would be more midweek games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here