Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U23's game tonight

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sounds like we were under the cosh in the second half. Listening to the commentary on Orient website, Ankergren (flapped at a few) and Lua Lua were disappointing. Can't see Lua Lua featuring much this season and gone in January. The result at least means the youngsters get more experience in the next round.

Don't know what game they were watching, we were very comfortable until a couple of late chances we gifted them.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Even though they don't play their final match until tomorrow night, you're right. Six points already and a very healthy goal difference. That would be ideal and could be a real money spinner for Crawley.

An attendance of 800 is considered a money spinner? I'm sure their chairman is rubbing his hands at the prospect of probably £0 after expenses of hosting the game!

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Went to the game to see the depth of talent we've got and was pleasantly surprised by quite a few. Orient were half-hearted - and it helped that we scored when they had a defender lying injured in their goal. Most pathetic moment was Elvis Manu signalling that he couldn't move anymore and wanted to be subbed after 71 minutes. Problem was (as the bench told him in no uncertain terms) we'd used all our subs so he'd have to stay on. Very poor attitude. By contrast Solly March tried throughout and didn't consider himself too big for such a game. Doesn't make sense forcing teams to play in empty stadia just to fulfil the fixture requirements - could easily have been played with more atmosphere at the training ground. The concept doesn't work for me - but happy that our team made it through.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Went to the game to see the depth of talent we've got and was pleasantly surprised by quite a few. Orient were half-hearted - and it helped that we scored when they had a defender lying injured in their goal. Most pathetic moment was Elvis Manu signalling that he couldn't move anymore and wanted to be subbed after 71 minutes. Problem was (as the bench told him in no uncertain terms) we'd used all our subs so he'd have to stay on. Very poor attitude. By contrast Solly March tried throughout and didn't consider himself too big for such a game. Doesn't make sense forcing teams to play in empty stadia just to fulfil the fixture requirements - could easily have been played with more atmosphere at the training ground. The concept doesn't work for me - but happy that our team made it through.

Manu was an embarrassment. Someone should explain to him that scouts watch matches like tonight's, and that he might want to put some sort of a shift in if he expects to get another club in January. Two moments from the second half tonight - Will Collar wanted to take a quick throw-in and Manu was looking in the opposite direction; then Solly March beat the left back and looked for someone to pass to in the penalty area but Manu (our lone forward) was actually wandering around near the touchline, further from the goal than March.

Towell showed plenty of promise, though. Great first touch, looked to get into the penalty area whenever possible, and closed down quickly, forcing the initial error that brought him a goal.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Went to the game, very impressed by the performance against a very poor Leyton Orient side in fairness.

Very impressed with Towell, March and Starkey, they stood out for me, but was also pleasing to see the side get the ball down and play football, very much the same as the first XI.

Couple of negatives, firstly, not sure why Casper played in goal, love the bloke to death, but Sanchez has received rave reviews this season and was strangely on the bench?

Secondly, Elvis Manu, this guy should never wear the stripes again, he was a disgrace last night, zero effort and simply didn't want to be there, as already pointed out, he asked to be taken off after 70 mins and to be honest I think playing with 10 would have been as effective as having him on the pitch.

Bloom, Barber, Chris and the whole of the coaching team who were in attendance and sitting behind me, must now realise it's curtains for this total waste of space.

Attendance of 500, unreserved seating including a few Orient supporters made for a good evening.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Mostly we played very boring football. Far too many crossfield passes and backward passes particularly in the second half. Complete lack of urgency and forward momentum. Nothing whatsoever to get the crowd motivated. Agree that Manu was an embarrassment. Wanted to come off (injured?) but we'd used all our subs. Previous times I've seen him play he at least made an effort. If he was injured and forced to stay on, then fair enough I guess. Solly was bright in the first half, less so in the second. Lua Lua was a disappointment. I think he too wanted to come off late in the second half. Was impressed with Collar, White and Hunt.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Mostly we played very boring football. Far too many crossfield passes and backward passes particularly in the second half. Complete lack of urgency and forward momentum. Nothing whatsoever to get the crowd motivated. Agree that Manu was an embarrassment. Wanted to come off (injured?) but we'd used all our subs. Previous times I've seen him play he at least made an effort. If he was injured and forced to stay on, then fair enough I guess. Solly was bright in the first half, less so in the second. Lua Lua was a disappointment. I think he too wanted to come off late in the second half. Was impressed with Collar, White and Hunt.

Football under Rusk is extremely dull. I said months ago i'm just not convinced by his coaching skills. Most games i've been to we create very little goal scoring opportunities.

Because the football is dull it's hard to pick out players for the future.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
An attendance of 800 is considered a money spinner? I'm sure their chairman is rubbing his hands at the prospect of probably £0 after expenses of hosting the game!

OK then. Yeovil away hopefully.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I do wonder if Molumby despite being only 17 is someone that the club would be looking to go out on loan in January.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do wonder if Molumby despite being only 17 is someone that the club would be looking to go out on loan in January.

He should stay, and make his debut as a sub at Villa Park, in May, with the Championship title secured.

#DayDream

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A great prospect, but could his height hold him back? Not the tallest and well built for a centre midfielder.
However he could still fill out and grow a few inches in the next few years.

Saying that...Messi is not the tallest of players...

He's not that short. Taller than Bridcutt or Kayal, I'd suggest, and they are pretty good in his position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here