Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U21/U18/fat boy slim etc - what's so good about it?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Hopefully loads of non Albion fans (esp. kids) living in Sussex will come to the game.

"Wow, they tell their dads/friends, I fancy going back there again...."

It's called increasing our support.

Plus whatever is sold food/drink wise no doubt the club gets a percentage.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
ok Community Stadium, but what community? an under 21 match will be soiled by a heavy presence of cockneys and the like, taking liberties, and what community was it that covered the beach in broken glass after FBS's gig a few years back?

The last two Fatboy Slim gigs have been for people with BN postcodes only, and I don't doubt that this will be the same.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Brilliant news, more money, bigger profile, more chance of atracting better players, investers, keeps the city with a fantastic reputaion as a tourist resort where people come to enjoy themselves. Plus Fatboy has earnt this ticket, thanks for all the investement Norm.

1901 free sugar cubes, get your hands in the air...

[yt]K1tQas-ASig[/yt]

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The scheduling of international games so soon after we moved to The Amex is an indicator of just how far the Club has come in a very short time and this has been recognised by the FA / UEFA. Much nicer place for the FA to wine and dine the UEFA hangers on, maybe introduce them to the gastronomic delights of an Amex pie and a pint of Harveys.

Handy for the FA to have a decent state of the art venue within the South East region, unlike the Selhurst Parks (or Withdeans!) of the old world.

I guess they also see the Amex being a better proposition having a good atmosphere in a reasonably full and noisy 22k stadium than rattle around in one of the 40-60k Premiership grounds. Shows UEFA that there are still decent stadiums being developed in England.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm no fan of Fatboy Slim (not my cup of tea) but my own view is if the club make money out of something then I'm in favour. If they don't them I'm not.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
i really cant believe someone has moaned about this

i really cant believe someone has moaned about this

FFS! I'M NOT MOANING!!! ok, ok my OP sounds like I am a bit!, right some clarity, i'm aware of the official line, I wanted a chat, what do YOU think? some have given their own opinion, which I now understand, thank you.

a couple more questions though, if someone knows the answer without accusing me of "typing out my arse" etc, some have mentioned the sale of beer/pies etc, Would we actually make any money of any note? also i've been to competitive (UEFA/FIFA) England matches and the sale of beer has been banned (would the same apply to an U21 qualifier?)

as for "if you don't like it don't go" thanks for the suggestion, although (ironically) I probably would go, because it's local, and also I would treat the stadium with the respect it deserves (unlike some Palace lowlife, who is legally infiltrating the North Stand because its an England match! (bit OTT but you see my point))

Chappers (I think it was) yes there will be no glass inside Falmer, I know. The point i'm making is that I was at 'that' FBS gig on the beach and as pissed up as I was all mine and my mates beer cans etc went back in the bags they came in and were dumped in the correct place (albeit the bins were overflowing) because we are Brightonians and we have pride in where we live, so who did leave all that shit on the beach?

so inconclusion, I accept the raise in profile, bigger stage etc, I respect your opinions, i'm just looking at both sides and wondering if it is worth it, finacially. Maybe I just want the stadium kept for US, Is that so wrong?

It's not actually your seat is it?

strictly speaking no, but countary to some comments on here portraying me as a bit anti club, I actually feel more a part of the club than I have done in 35 years, so yes, it is MY seat, I use the same bog, which I also call mine, I use MY turnstyle and i also buy my beer from MY bar, I have a good relationship with MY new friends that sit near me, I also love hearing songs from the North Stand, although I sit in the East, As said before that's possibly why I've lost all reason and want to keep the stadium for US, (FTR i've also previously "moaned" on here about naming rights for stadiums, my opinion has proved to not be worth a wank, but hey ho who cares, life goes on and my match day experience will not be ruined one jot if its called the webuyanycardotcom stadium or its rented out every other week to the Hare Krisnas, Its NSC, if we're not talking about this we'll be talking about who'd win a fight between a walrus and a bag of salt n vinegar crisps)

If it generates money for the club, then go for it. If we wont to compete with the big boys we need to be doing more things like this.

one of my points re why are some so keen? IS it an earner? I mean, do the FA/UEFA cough up sufficiently? do we (as a club) really make any sort of money on pies? or is it just the kudos that we stage matches like this and Smellhurst don't, If it's the former, fine, If it's the latter then i'm too old to worry about "my garden's bigger than your garden"

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
one of my points re why are some so keen? IS it an earner? I mean, do the FA/UEFA cough up sufficiently? do we (as a club) really make any sort of money on pies? or is it just the kudos that we stage matches like this and Smellhurst don't, If it's the former, fine, If it's the latter then i'm too old to worry about "my garden's bigger than your garden"

Bigger status = better players.

If we stage these games young players will play at our stadium. These players might think ''oooh this is good, I'd like to play here one day''. When we go to sign these players (permanently and on loan) they may remember how impressed they were at our stadium and choose us over someone else.

This is just one of the reasons that staging international games is a good thing.

Bigger status = better players.

If we stage these games young players will play at our stadium. These players might think ''oooh this is good, I'd like to play here one day''. When we go to sign these players (permanently and on loan) they may remember how impressed they were at our stadium and choose us over someone else.

This is just one of the reasons that staging international games is a good thing.

valid point

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Tony Bloom is a business man who has made a lot of money. I can't see that it isn't an earner, and if one particular event doesn't make money, then I doubt it would be repeated.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
PLUSSES
More revenue for the club
More kudos for the club
Higher profile for the club and the stadium
A chance for locals to see the next crop of international failures / Fourth Division journeymen / re-trained plumbers

MINUSES
Someone from a lower social status might sit in the seat you usually sit in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here