Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U-23's pre-season friendly v Sutton United, Thursday morning, training ground; live stream

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
For context, adding in their ages:

1 McGill - 21
2 Nillson - 17
3 Furlong - 19
4 Tsoungui - 18
5 Dendoncker - 20
6 Turns - 18
7 Dicker - 34
8 Spong - 19
9 Ifill - 17
10 Moran - 17
11 Richards - 20

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
3-0 Sutton - laughable defending, atrocious goalkeeping.

Men against boys in more ways than one

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
3-0 and again poor defending one defending buying a dropped shoulder and running in to another.

All good experience and fitness for the young lads though

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
For context, adding in their ages:

1 McGill - 21
2 Nillson - 17
3 Furlong - 19
4 Tsoungui - 18
5 Dendoncker - 20
6 Turns - 18
7 Dicker - 34
8 Spong - 19
9 Ifill - 17
10 Moran - 17
11 Richards - 20

Thanks for that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Should have scored there. Good move but dreadful hack at the ball from Ifill.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
3-0 Sutton - laughable defending, atrocious goalkeeping.

Men against boys in more ways than one

Harsh on the keeper. For a big lad No. 11 Richards was outmuscled in midfield, their guy gets too much time, a cruel deflection off No. 6 loops up over the keeper. I think he even managed to tip it onto the post.

Ifill then misses our best chance with a wayward volley.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
37 min: Another poor defensive effort to go 0-3 down. It began with a wayward cross field pass across defence and then Taylor failed to hold the ball in midfield allowing Sutton to gain possession. Then a deflected 20 yard shot spiralling over the back-peddling McGill.

The Brighton lads won't be in any hurry to share the first half highlights on their social media accounts.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A league 2 team should be beating a u23 team with the age profile it has.

I'm not sure it should be this comfortable. We can't tell that this is Sutton's best team either. Good stuff from them whatever though.

Rank defending and powder puff finishing. I'm sure the changes will be rung at half time

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Feck me.

If this is as good as it gets, the first team is certain for relegation with the greatest of all embarrassing exits.

Must win second half.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I just keep looking at the rest of the training ground and I can't believe how far we've come as a club. It looks incredible.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Really good test for the young men; heat means you've got to work the ball more and they're certainly not going to out muscle these guys. Interested to see who steps up after a half time rocket.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Second half team sheet:

13 - Trialist
14 - Trialist
15 - Trialist
16 - Trialist
17 - Trialist
18 - Trialist
19 - Trialist
20 - Trialist
21 - Trialist
22 - Trialist

...probably

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Do they not still have bubbles? Thought Richards would be with the big boys.
It seems pretty clear Taylor Richards hasn't made the cut for the first team squad this season.

Loan out or sale was rumoured.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Looks to me like a lot of our younger players are getting Muscled off the ball but they have to learn, Richards and Dendoncker look like they are playing at 50% so maybe they are behind the youngsters on pre-season training?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The reality here is there are 11 men up against 10 teenagers and Gary Dicker. It is a physical mismatch. Sutton have pressed high up the pitch, forced our defenders into poor or risky passes, and their midfield have outfought and outmuscled our midfield.

On the plus side, you can see Moran and Ifill have a good understanding, Moran is at a different level to the rest when we are going forward.

Given that there is no Roberts, Caicedo or Karbownik, while Rushworth, Cochrane, Jenks, Longman, Weir are out on loan this outcome is no surprise.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Looks to me like a lot of our younger players are getting Muscled off the ball but they have to learn, Richards and Dendoncker look like they are playing at 50% so maybe they are behind the youngsters on pre-season training?

It's a great lesson in the step up from youth football to senior football

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
2nd half team:

Second half XI: McGill, Hinshelwood, Jackson, Offiah, Sturge, Dicker, Chouchane, Miller, Jenks, Qureshi, Ifill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here