Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tyrone Mings Quick Out Of The Traps......

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I suffer from anxiety - wakes me up at 3am most mornings. I'm just coming to the end of a two week sign off from work due to depression. I assume you probably think I need to man up and stop my "crybaby [sic] fake virtue signalling" ? Really, pack it in - you clearly know eff all about mental illness and how it affects EVERYONE .... regardless of wealth.

Sounds awful, I hope you have a chance to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You and your colleagues are also open to mental health issues due to the frequency and importance of your interventions with the people in your care. Both of my stints in healthcare, one at a military hospital 36 years ago, and the one I've recently retired from in dementia care (mainly end of life) ended with what I now know to be "compassion fatigue". Extreme situations are the norm and becoming desensitised is the only way to be able to handle some situations. Your working experience, and mine, are a world away from the experience of an elite athlete, but that really isn't the point. People arrive at a recognition of their own mental health issues via all sorts of avenues, some perceived to be "tough" routes, and others thought of as less so because of their apparent wealth or status. I hope we can reach a point where all cries for help, from whatever direction, can be taken seriously and the appropriate help given. Somehow, I think we're quite a way off that at the moment.
Good post.
That must have been tough work. Especially end of life care. Yes, a lot of people only do this kind fo work for about six or seven years and then need to change.
I can see that coming for me in the next couple of years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I suffer from anxiety - wakes me up at 3am most mornings. I'm just coming to the end of a two week sign off from work due to depression. I assume you probably think I need to man up and stop my "crybaby [sic] fake virtue signalling" ? Really, pack it in - you clearly know eff all about mental illness and how it affects EVERYONE .... regardless of wealth.

That’s shit man, hope the time off has helped? Even to just relieve some pressure and get a break?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It didn't start with Biles and Mings isn't the latest, not sure why you're picking on them specifically. Naomi Osaka pulled out of the recent French Open and Wimbledon tournaments for similar reasons, and cricket has a long history of players struggling with the mental side of things, from Trescothick and Michael Yardy to Trott and most recently, Ben Stokes. David Bairstow killed himself. Golfer Thomas Bjorn described his mental health battles in his book. Michael Phelps had well documented battles with depression and suicidal thoughts. So did Paul Gascoigne. Other footballers who have described their battles with depression include Buffon, Aaron Lennon, Iniesta, Michael Carrick, Danny Rose and many less well-known players. Robert Enke and Gary Speed both committed suicide, Clarke Carlisle attempted it.

Elite-level sport clearly places huge pressures on individuals, mental toughness is seen as a reason some succeed and others fail. But it appears many people simply bottled up the stresses and suffered from it. Its become OK to talk about it, so they are. Whether it removes the stesses or not, who knows. But always good to talk. The idea that some want to chant abuse at players about their mental health, or think the EPL supporting players talking about it is 'pathetic', shows a severe lack of empathy for our fellow man.

This is an article from November 20 about mental health issues in football and the stigma involved.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-epidemic-big-problem-nobody-is-talking-about

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To be ill is bad enough. To then be accused to being weak or faking it? Jeez. That would send me over the edge.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
... in this post-Biles era.

'Mental Health' set to replace VAR as the EPL issue of the upcoming season.

Didn't it used to be called what it was? IE the pressure that naturally comes with having to perform at the level of 'elite' sport that pays your million quid wage?

Like Biles, maybe the simple solution is just to switch off your twitter feed?

I sort of understand where you might be coming from. We are nearly all middle-aged or older so brought up in an era where talking about mental health = weakness. Fortunately, this has changed but I still have trouble adapting to the new normal where emoting and expressing vulnerability (especially in public) seems completely alien to me. It's also possible that some jump on the mental health 'bandwagon' for less genuine reasons but as it's almost impossible to determine who is being genuine/really suffering it's not worth getting too irritated by it and probably best to give the benefit of the doubt in most cases. Obviously, as I am full of empathy I don't think you are suddenly a worse person for holding different opinions to me ..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Personal experience tells me that it might take more than 2 weeks sick leave. For me it was a high dose of citalopram, 2 months off work and changing my role when I returned. It did not fix the problem but reduced to a level which was acceptable to me. The drugs dampened the anxiety, the time off allowed me to repair my mind but changing role was the key. My issue was people management side of my rob could quite happily deal with the pressure of being woken at 1:00 am to a callout about system down. Personally think you will only fix it when the 'cause' of your problem is identified. Clearly everyone is different and react in different ways .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With 31 medals at national and international level (19 of them GOLD. 19!!), Biles is the most decorated US Gymnast in history. Her routines at the 2016 Olympics are considered the hardest ever performed. She received an Arthur Ashe Courage Award for bringing her sexual abuser to justice. She’s undergone tibia surgery and returned to competition. She is 24 years of age.
I think the OP picked the wrong person to accuse of being a snowflake.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The early morning attacks are scary.

I'm so lucky with my employer. They were good with me when anxiety issues returned. The reason I don't have a season ticket at the AMEX anymore is because of panic attacks- and that's before the team start letting leads go..

I envy folk for whom it's not a problem. But until they are stuck in the middle of Bruges one afternoon, and experience feelings of absolute dread, akin to the symptoms of a heart attack, and all this lasts for three hours during which you are found cowering in the corner of a cafe, they will never know.

I used to travel the length and breadth of this country and now I barely leave the area. I have been abroad once in the last 15 years with the help of copious amounts of sedative. I wish I could be 'normal'.

The trigger, a parent's death in 2008. Up until then I didn't know what anxiety was. I kept it quiet until one night I had the worst attack imaginable until I was so desperate I put it in my Facebook feed. A 'coming out' or so to speak. Even then I tried to not be too much bother and not make it too 'look at me' for fear of being seen as an attention seeker. Thankfully a lot of folk, including [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] , just posted nice messages and it eased off. But you don't forget stuff.

Screenshot 2021-08-02 182003.png

I will admit I get afraid sometimes because I worry that if paranoia was replaced by an actual devastating event that it could send me over the edge. You just don't know this stuff. It's been mild for a while and I hope it stays that way.

I've had the confidence, although in a reserved way, to tell folk around me that I am a bit odd and to let me be so and not worry. It's more of a compromise as I don't want sympathy just a reaction that doesn't make things worse. I had to leave a match at Chelsea after twenty minutes (probably for the best that time...) because my body was like jelly and my pulse rate twice what it should be.

So, yes, seeing a thread like this makes my stomach churn, so I'll throw my story at it and hope that others don't go back into their shell. I'm sure there will be a few folk who buy the badge to attention seek. But that's always going to be the case. Most folk are genuine, and Tyrone Mings has been dealing with stuff for ages. It's those who hurl abuse who are the issue. And if someone thinks it's the other way round then just look at folk who don't have the public profile. How much someone earns is not the issue.

The reason why it seems so common now is because folk ARE opening up. And seeing people concentrate on a few here and there who might take the piss is dangerous. I'm glad I let it all out a while ago because seeing a thread like this started would have sent me back into my shell again.

Last edited:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
You do realise that there are other MH issues that co-exist don't you? You're just assuming that it's depression and or anxiety and because they are earning shitloads they have nothing to be depressed about. Maybe they have OCD & are experiencing a spike (apologies, I can't think of any other word for it atm). I agree with someone who said they are lucky to be able to get MH treatment straight away as they earn loads. You've made it all so black and white & quite frankly I think you're talking s**t (no offense intended personally to you, but your view on this).
I'm struggling to understand how, when your daughters fiancé killed himself, you can't see how it can affect anyone? Unless your daughters fiancé killed himself & it's assumed financial worries were a factor, then I can understand a little bit why you think people with money shouldn't suffer from any MH issues. I'm sorry to hear that he suffered and I hope your daughter has also received help because I'm not sure that there is anything worse than seeing someone you love, leave like that. I thankfully haven't had anyone close to me do that but I have seen the total devastation someone taking their own lives has on people around them.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You and your colleagues are also open to mental health issues due to the frequency and importance of your interventions with the people in your care. Both of my stints in healthcare, one at a military hospital 36 years ago, and the one I've recently retired from in dementia care (mainly end of life) ended with what I now know to be "compassion fatigue". Extreme situations are the norm and becoming desensitised is the only way to be able to handle some situations. Your working experience, and mine, are a world away from the experience of an elite athlete, but that really isn't the point. People arrive at a recognition of their own mental health issues via all sorts of avenues, some perceived to be "tough" routes, and others thought of as less so because of their apparent wealth or status. I hope we can reach a point where all cries for help, from whatever direction, can be taken seriously and the appropriate help given. Somehow, I think we're quite a way off that at the moment.

Good points. It is getting better though despite all the cynicism from many quarters, it seems that those who had it tough or felt they could not ask for help when they needed help begrudge those who are asking for help, understanding and support now. Human beings have such amazing capacity to love and support and help each other, there needs to be an acceptance that things were not done right " In The Old Days " and that we have to change the future as a society.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think for a moment he's lying. I think he's saying what just about every high pressure sportsman must constantly be thinking. All that self-doubt. But Biles made it ok to say so. Just step away from the twitter feed maybe? For every twit that worships you like a god, there will be ten other twits trying to get in your head, trying to wind you up. These GODS are plenty good at wearing their noise-cancelling headphones when stepping off of the team coach. Maybe they should consider extending them into many other parts of their life in the highly-paid spotlight?

Really think you are getting this all wrong.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
the early morning attacks are scary.

I'm so lucky with my employer. They were good with me when anxiety issues returned. The reason I don't have a season ticket at the AMEX anymore is because of panic attacks- and that's before the team start letting leads go..

I envy folk for whom it's not a problem. But until they are stuck in the middle of Bruges one afternoon, and experience feelings of absolute dread, akin to the symptoms of a heart attack, and all this lasts for three hours during which you are found cowering in the corner of a cafe, they will never know.

I used to travel the length and breadth of this country and now I barely leave the area. I have been abroad once in the last 15 years with the help of copious amounts of sedative. I wish I could be 'normal'.

The trigger, a parent's death in 2008. Up until then I didn't know what anxiety was. I kept it quiet until one night I had the worst attack imaginable until I was so desperate I put it in my Facebook feed. A 'coming out' or so to speak. Even then I tried to not be too much bother and not make it too 'look at me' for fear of being seen as an attention seeker. Thankfully a lot of folk, including [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] , just posted nice messages and it eased off. But you don't forget stuff.

I will admit I get afraid sometimes because I worry that if paranoia was replaced by an actual devastating event that it could send me over the edge. You just don't know this stuff. It's been mild for a while and I hope it stays that way.

I've had the confidence, although in a reserved way, to tell folk around me that I am a bit odd and to let me be so and not worry. It's more of a compromise as I don't want sympathy just a reaction that doesn't make things worse. I had to leave a match at Chelsea after twenty minutes (probably for the best that time...) because my body was like jelly and my pulse rate twice what it should be.

So, yes, seeing a thread like this makes my stomach churn, so I'll throw my story at it and hope that others don't go back into their shell. I'm sure there will be a few folk who buy the badge to attention seek. But that's always going to be the case. Most folk are genuine, and Tyrone Mings has been dealing with stuff for ages. It's those who hurl abuse who are the issue. And if someone thinks it's the other way round then just look at folk who don't have the public profile. How much someone earns is not the issue.

The reason why it seems so common now is because folk ARE opening up. And seeing people concentrate on a few here and there who might take the piss is dangerous. I'm glad I let it all out a while ago because seeing a thread like this started would have sent me back into my shell again.

So much honesty :bowdown::clap2::bowdown:

Thank you - made me cry !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a bit of a problem when my Dad died. We were visiting at Easter 98, and I realised he had serious problems. I went to the doctor with him on the Tuesday & asked the doctor afterwards if it was cancer.
Two weeks on, I was back in Yorkshire, my cousin rang me to say he’d been rushed into hospital. We drove down straightaway, but he hung on, so we returned. 13th May I got a call at 6am to say he’d taken a turn for the worse. I did all the funeral arrangements, telling the bank, council, insurances etc etc.

Three months further on, I was on a training course at work, and something just wouldn’t sink in. My supervisor said something innocuous but it was enough to set me off. I cried solidly for two hours, just not able to stop. I then went home. My GP signed me off work for five weeks in total. He said it was a combination of exhaustion & not giving myself enough time to grieve properly.

Jul 25, 2021
I do understand your point.

Genuinely in real life and on nsc I have all the time in the world for sufferers. Including wealthy celebs, money’s irrelevant.

Just far less sympathy for footballers, music stars and politicians who broke Lockdown, then mentioned their loved ones and that anguish when caught.

How on earth has this thread turned into a Covid discussion?

Any excuse for some people :sick::sick::sick:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
... in this post-Biles era.

'Mental Health' set to replace VAR as the EPL issue of the upcoming season.

Didn't it used to be called what it was? IE the pressure that naturally comes with having to perform at the level of 'elite' sport that pays your million quid wage?

Like Biles, maybe the simple solution is just to switch off your twitter feed?

If you can't stand the heat get out of the fire. No one forced him to become a professional footballer. If he has now decided it's not for him, then go do something with less pressure. It's a free world ... or used to be.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So you think he’s lying because it’s fashionable?
That makes it worse imo.

I sort of get where he is coming from.

In the last few months Mental Health has become a buzz word and is mentioned in almost every interview in News programmes.

I completely sympathise with people who suffer depression and other issues but I suspect there is an element of bandwagon and fashion going on.
Every TV pundit on the Olympics mentions it over and over.

It's beginning to affect my mental health :eek:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We're got this shit Albion song, right, prob other clubs do so also. It goes:

'Cry in a minute
He's going to cry in a minute'

What if that were actually to happen and the guy actually burst into tears in real time and was forced to leave the field of play sobbing?

I think we all know the answer.

So spare me your right-on virtue-signalling shit

If he had revealed that he sometimes could not play well because of the mental torture, we would do it all the more.
If he said he sometimes feels suicidal after hearing that sort of stuff, I hope none of us would do it again.

I don't get what your problem is with Mings sharing how he felt about the national attention on his performances leading up to the Euro's. He was shit, and literally everyone was saying it, it affected him, he got help and feels mentally tougher and better able to deal with any criticism now. All perfectly understandable and a good tale of seeking help alleviating the problem. He isn't playing a "card".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here