Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tyrone Mings Quick Out Of The Traps......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What is going on with you these days THPP, you used to be one of the best posters on here?

I read post #1 and thought exactly the same.

Shame, the dark side clearly have a better recruitment policy at the moment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not digging in the least. Sure as eggs is eggs, this season's EPL trending is going to be 'Players Mental Health' same as last season's trending was 'VAR'. It's pathetically predictable, sadly

So you think he’s lying because it’s fashionable?
That makes it worse imo.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Mings is so lucky given his comments - "So I did a lot of work on that with my psychologist. I was given a lot of coping mechanisms - whether it was breathing, meditation, or just learning how to bring yourself into the present moment. To stop letting your subconscious take over."

Unfortunately accessing mental health support via the NHS is very difficult to obtain, and everyone who is unable to afford a private psychologist will suffer for longer before they are able to access the help that they need.

There is only so much money available but given the issues created by covid on mental health, more focused funding on mental health is needed urgently to help all those that have suffered during the lockdowns.

My other half works in the NHS as an assistant psychologist and she's heartbroken a lot of the time by how little funding there is. Some people desperately need help and it just isn't there.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This thread largely sums up the negative attitude of a few posters, which is sad. I can understand the cynicism but I think the issues around mental health are not new. They're just being discussed now, that's the change.

Gary Neville did a podcast during the lockdown where he spoke of his depression around Euro 2000, where he was training and playing every week but not enjoying himself and not playing at the level he had been a year or two earlier. At that time, there wasn't really a whole lot of sports psychology going on so the players didn't have the outlet to talk the issues through. They also didn't have social media and everyone slagging them off publically. That used to be private and it used to be spoken in pubs. Now it's getting posted in real time on Twitter and Instagram. It's a very different world and the players are having to find themselves within it. It's no surprise that several of them have struggled with it from time to time and it's a real show of character to be willing and able to speak about it publicly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So you think he’s lying because it’s fashionable?
That makes it worse imo.

I don't think for a moment he's lying. I think he's saying what just about every high pressure sportsman must constantly be thinking. All that self-doubt. But Biles made it ok to say so. Just step away from the twitter feed maybe? For every twit that worships you like a god, there will be ten other twits trying to get in your head, trying to wind you up. These GODS are plenty good at wearing their noise-cancelling headphones when stepping off of the team coach. Maybe they should consider extending them into many other parts of their life in the highly-paid spotlight?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
... in this post-Biles era.

'Mental Health' set to replace VAR as the EPL issue of the upcoming season.

Didn't it used to be called what it was? IE the pressure that naturally comes with having to perform at the level of 'elite' sport that pays your million quid wage?

Like Biles, maybe the simple solution is just to switch off your twitter feed?

What about those with mental health issues that decide to take their own life ? Bottle jobs ?

All of these sports people are just normal people with a special skill. No doubt the higher they climb in their sport the more pressure, the more expectation and of course well paid. But doesn’t mean you can’t suffer from mental health issues.

I know in my own way I have struggled with ‘imposter’ syndrome when I’ve been promoted into roles that can play havoc and cause forms of anxiety. But I got paid more I guess so should just suck it up [emoji2375]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not digging in the least. Sure as eggs is eggs, this season's EPL trending is going to be 'Players Mental Health' same as last season's trending was 'VAR'. It's pathetically predictable, sadly

Could see it happening, yes, with players and clubs and fans starting to give a lot of money and attention to organisations battling poor mental health and the research about it.

It could turn out that way, but I wouldnt call it pathetic... rather, I'd call it unusually useful.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Could see it happening, yes, with players and clubs and fans starting to give a lot of money and attention to organisations battling poor mental health and the research about it.

It could turn out that way, but I wouldnt call it pathetic... rather, I'd call it unusually useful.

Good point, well made

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just because there are one or two who falsely play "the card" doesn't mean that the vast, vast majority don't need help and empathy. Mings has done well here to admit he talks to a psychiatrist. Hopefully that will help those who aren't in the public eye to see it as acceptable to get help.

A good friend of mine lost their 18 year old son to suicide brought on by a sudden bout of depression. Perhaps THPP could pop round there and tell them they're making it up?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I read post #1 and thought exactly the same.

Shame, the dark side clearly have a better recruitment policy at the moment.

Tomakin’s journey is nearly complete, only Yorkieonekenobi can save him…..

b2a8a31b2bc3d821442ce80e052b2507.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just because there are one or two who falsely play "the card" doesn't mean that the vast, vast majority don't need help and empathy. Mings has done well here to admit he talks to a psychiatrist. Hopefully that will help those who aren't in the public eye to see it as acceptable to get help.

A good friend of mine lost their 18 year old son to suicide brought on by a sudden bout of depression. Perhaps THPP could pop round there and tell them they're making it up?

Perhaps you could bin this thread off its not going anywhere.
The OP isn't going to suddenly become enlightened and franking it's sad and maddening reading this shite.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

My daughter's fiance killed himself by hanging a year ago last January. Your point is? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
**** me.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I think this shows that these things can affect anyone from anyback ground.
In some cases the more elite you are then the worse it can be because people expect so much more which increases the pressure.
Ming's was getting a lot of criticism about his selection and serious self doubt set in.
He went an got some help and went on to play really well I thought.
I was one of his critics but he proved me wrong.
If he had Carried on suffering in silence then the most likely outcome is his poor mental health would have effected his performance and it would have been far worse for him.
It also should make us think a bit more as fans when we get on a players back too much in the ground I guess.
It's good more elite sports people are telling their struggles with mental health as hopefully more of us ordinary folk will see that acknowledging something isn't right and getting help is the best thing to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here