Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two upfront time ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well actually it relies on a midfielder becoming the extra attacker, rather than having a player like Barnes, who has actually played up front in his career. And over the last couple of weeks since Barnes ulloa has been isolated on his own and by all accounts getting very frustrated.

For all his detractors, Barnes was the perfect foil for ulloa and looking at CMS, he is more a chase the ball/man type player, we don not know about Rodney yet, the spuds bloke looks a bit rubbish and Hoskins will be that Barnes sort of player, but we are still not sure how he can come back after terrible injuries.

Certainly we are set up for 1 up front and I haven't seen anything in our signings, apart from Rodney that makes me thing we will change it.

Barnes mainly played well as a lone striker. Very very average as a wide player. In either role, his goals to game insufficient. Let's give CMS a bit more credit. He was never given a chance by Gus in the way the latter played him. I agree that Dave 2 might be the answer. Outside chance for Hoskins. I suspect all 3 will do better than Ash if fit.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Trequartista

I think we may start to play Spanish football soon.

Second striker is then a player with skill as well as running around like a blue-arsed fly and missing open goals.

What we don't do is make runs to the near post (even Vokes does this for Burnley). Buckley and Lopez have only got a heavily marked Ulloa to cross to, which why neither of them are playing well. Got to have this option at home. I think Macca gave us this, but he kept missing easy goals and falling over a baby swan.

Now we have not got our Busquets (Liam Bridcutt) we are going to have to play slightly differently, perhaps an even better (more fluid) formation?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's move away from the tired old 2 striker idea which has repeatedly been shown to be inadequate and behind the times IMHO. I prefer a more fluid team, one striker, and other professional footballers being capable of shooting at the big goal.

Yeah, Aguero and Negredo with four in midfield clearly isn't working.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
We can play 4-3-3 with two strikers, seeing as Rodney can play anywhere across the front 3 apparently.

Kuszczak

Bruno Greer Upson Ward

Andrews

Ince Stephens

Rodney Ulloa LuaLua

This sort of formation is needed to score the goals required. We have to be more attacking then we are presently, otherwise no play offs this season.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
We can play 4-3-3 with two strikers, seeing as Rodney can play anywhere across the front 3 apparently.

If people are suggesting that we have two of Ulloa/CMS/Rodney/Obika in the front 3 then honestly I don't care too much what they call it, as long as we don't try to get them to play the traditional run-and-cross winger role when they're not suited for it.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Anything to do with the near constant injuries to our first choice wingers and the fact the main front man has been out as well?

Yes I see your point but we have other equally capable players when injuries occur. March for instance is more than ready to step up. I'm not slating Garcia,far from it's he's doing a great job under difficult circumstances but 2 up front especially at home would be a welcome change.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
March for instance is more than ready to step up.

But is he though? We have seen Oscar is not afraid to bring in the younger players when needed (Ince and JFC) but maybe he thinks March is not ready to play week in week out in place of Buckley (not knocking him as he is clearly a very talented young player who will only get better).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, Aguero and Negredo with four in midfield clearly isn't working.

There will always be exceptions to the rule but if you look across Europe and the world the winners generally play in a more sophisticated way. Will the Man City approach lead to sustained success at home and in Europe? I doubt it. They might do well in the short term in England but I think they'll get found out on the bigger stages and over time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would prefer us to line up 4-5-1 but I would like to see the 2 wide men in the 5 getting up and supporting Ulloa more with the other man filling in to form a 4-4-2 when the opponents break quick and we are defending.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Just need to commit more players into the box and gamble a bit more. Problem is Ulloa is to isolated. As long as 4 of the 5 commit to run beyond him and push on we will be fine. Lua Lua and someone else like Spanish Dave part 2 with a bit of pace would be a good idea in the wide roles.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
While I enjoy the fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1 Oscar plays, I'd be interested to see a 3-5-2 as per the below as/when our wingers are not fit. But then again, I'm no football manager so it'd probably be shite.

PIG
Dunk Greer Upson

Bruno Ward
Ince

Stephens Orlandi

Ulloa
CMS/Rodney

Edit: can't get it to align properly for some reason

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
While I enjoy the fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1 Oscar plays, I'd be interested to see a 3-5-2 as per the below as/when our wingers are not fit. But then again, I'm no football manager so it'd probably be shite.

PIG

Dunk ... Greer ...Upson

Bruno ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Ward

Ince

Stephens ... ... ... Orlandi

Ulloa

CMS/Rodney​

Edit: can't get it to align properly for some reason

Use center tags.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here