Two trialists playing for DS tonight

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
swansea had more pace in nearly every position,worst game ive seen richards play suprisingly as usually good,glen rea gets better and better and will be pushing dunk all the way,looks very very ggod

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Really? Thought it was pretty good, pitch didn't help (bobbles everywhere) and it was interesting to see how Swansea play at youth/ds level.

Really. We didn't have a shot on target, in fact in the second half I don't think we had a shot. Hoskin's sole contribution in the second half was to take two throw ins. The supply to him was non existent. Kemy not even going to play himself into contention for a regular berth in the stiffs based on that performance. Triallists - meh.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Swansea certainly targeted our number 2, and attacked down that side. Unfortunately Leggett was given a torrid time by their number 9 (Loveridge) and 11 (Edwards) who had pace. Chicksen was solid on the other side.
Similar to our first team, lack of real pace going forward, fairly sound in the middle of the defence, no real shots up front.
The first twenty minutes Swansea were quick and attacking, and the better side overall.
Kemy had some classy touches, Richards and Monakana did well, and Will was quiet but got the full 90minutes....unscathed.
Starkey looked strong when he came on.
Walton looks very good and commanding.
Just wanted to see a few pops at goal.....or even a meaningful shot.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Really. We didn't have a shot on target, in fact in the second half I don't think we had a shot. Hoskin's sole contribution in the second half was to take two throw ins. The supply to him was non existent. Kemy not even going to play himself into contention for a regular berth in the stiffs based on that performance. Triallists - meh.

All of that

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Wasn't March with us then released so went to Lewes and we re-signed him from there? Probably okay to count him as our product.
He is ours...he has not played for any other league team...lives Hailsham. Believe his father had a trial for Albion...good player but did not get a contract,but there again, neither did Ian Wright...rejected for being too lightweight...some you win,some you lose...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
He is ours...he has not played for any other league team...lives Hailsham. Believe his father had a trial for Albion...good player but did not get a contract,but there again, neither did Ian Wright...rejected for being too lightweight...some you win,some you lose...

Yep.
One of the recently released U16's has been given a scholarship at Villa. Are the new replacements any better than the local lads released, some would say not.
Obviously the club feels they have done the right thing eh.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

See post #97. His Dad Steve spent a season with the Albion youth team, in 1987-88.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Jeffrey Monakana looks like he has potential, lightning pace and put in a couple decent crosses. Chicksen looked solid. Our Right back looked pretty poor and Swansea knew it, practically every attack went down that wing. Kemy showed some great skill but also showed the poor attitude he's known to have. Richards had a poor game, made far too many mistakes at the back, had Swansea been half decent upfront we could have conceded 3/4 more goals.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hear Hunte didnt pull up any trees... wha about the other trialist?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think the most important department, now, is the youth academy. Infact I think it is more important than getting into the Premier League, for the simple reason that if we get it right, it is most probably the only part of the club that could make money.

If you look at Southampton in the last 9 years they have sold Walcott, Bale, and Oxlade Chamberlain for £27 million. The new academy system states that an elite level academy should pay about £3 million a year to run, that means they have broken even, but now they have Luke Shaw, who is touted around at £20 million+. A lot of Premiership clubs loose money.

So even if Hunte has a question mark over his attitude, I think if he is as good as he sounded a year ago, then he is worth the gamble.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I think the most important department, now, is the youth academy. Infact I think it is more important than getting into the Premier League, for the simple reason that if we get it right, it is most probably the only part of the club that could make money.

If you look at Southampton in the last 9 years they have sold Walcott, Bale, and Oxlade Chamberlain for £27 million. The new academy system states that an elite level academy should pay about £3 million a year to run, that means they have broken even, but now they have Luke Shaw, who is touted around at £20 million+. A lot of Premiership clubs loose money.

So even if Hunte has a question mark over his attitude, I think if he is as good as he sounded a year ago, then he is worth the gamble.

Hunte looked very poor and very unfit. Not sure where he has been training recently.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Its not a gamble, an inevitability more like.

I dont like to comment directly on this young player, I dont know him, but if we take the general view of young players with bad attitude then clubs should stay well clear.

We are not talking about the skulking International players that excite us and offer regular moments of magic, or a young player that strolls around in first team games scoring from nothing and saving his manager from the sack whilst becoming the fans cult hero.

We are talking about a young kid that has not earned his first pro contract, allegedly partly for his poor attitude at a club that would likely forgive for a season or two if they thought he had some high level talent.

The real gamble is how might our current young players feel when they are suddenly sidelined for last nights game, those that train hard, commit themselves in the hope of progression within our Academy, if you bring triallists in then ensure they have the attributes deserving of those exclusion.

Look beyond their Premier League Academy status, scout properly !!!

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Hunte looked very poor and very unfit. Not sure where he has been training recently.

I saw last nights game on youtube, and I must admit, I didn't notice him do much. Saying that, I hope the people who run the academy judge him on more than the 60 minutes or so that he played last night.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Its not a gamble, an inevitability more like.

I dont like to comment directly on this young player, I dont know him, but if we take the general view of young players with bad attitude then clubs should stay well clear.

We are not talking about the skulking International players that excite us and offer regular moments of magic, or a young player that strolls around in first team games scoring from nothing and saving his manager from the sack whilst becoming the fans cult hero.

We are talking about a young kid that has not earned his first pro contract, allegedly partly for his poor attitude at a club that would likely forgive for a season or two if they thought he had some high level talent.

The real gamble is how might our current young players feel when they are suddenly sidelined for last nights game, those that train hard, commit themselves in the hope of progression within our Academy, if you bring triallists in then ensure they have the attributes deserving of those exclusion.

Look beyond their Premier League Academy status, scout properly !!!

I know what you mean. An academy full of teenagers with egos way above their station would be awful, but every now and then there might be one good enough to see past it.

You say we are not talking about a sulking international, well I don't know about sulking but he is an international. I thought he signed a pro contract with Chelsea to keep other clubs away last January?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I know what you mean. An academy full of teenagers with egos way above their station would be awful, but every now and then there might be one good enough to see past it.

You say we are not talking about a sulking international, well I don't know about sulking but he is an international. I thought he signed a pro contract with Chelsea to keep other clubs away last January?

Again I dont wish to comment directly about this kid, but just a general view of those youngsters that show a bad attitude.

The Chelsea Academy have funds to offer any young player deals that give that player time, if they feel they have the raw talent irrespective of the normal teenage tantrums.

If after their assessment and intimate knowledge of that players personality they then release at 17 years old, then it is likely that that players talent is no higher than the current crop of BHA Academy scholars and young professionals.

If this is underpinned by a known attitude problem I cannot see why any club would risk inviting them into your Academy environment.

Schoolboy and Youth International football is fraught with inconsistencies when trying to assess their longer term potential.

Physicality as well as talent skew Englands recent Victory Shield successes and their selection process is likely to start with a phone call to the Arsenals, Chelseas and Man Utds before any real scouting takes place.

Smaller clubs are concerned that if their highly regarded 15/17 year old has the exposure of international football, bigger clubs will nick them for nothing or at least they themselves would need to offer him a longer term deal that they otherwise wouldnt, its a lose lose for the smaller club, so its generally a carve up between the higher status clubs and maybe not a reflection on our best talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports