Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two of the world’s most prestigious science academies say man made climate change is real

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Of course climate change is happening. And of course humans are contributing to that climate change. But we inhabit a living organism that is 4.5 billion years old and modern humans have only been around since the last Ice Age. In fact the last Ice Age shaped modern humanity. We are a blip on the geological time clock and no climate model can ever predict what this raging chaotic planet will do.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
This is just another round of scaremongering, as people have mentioned already whose going to tell China, Russia, America ad infinitum, ad nauseum. It is a climate cycle that has happened numerous times during Earths lifetime and will continue to do so until the Sun expires and no amount of sitting around tables is going to stop that from happening. I watched a programme on BBC 4 that put it very simply about the effects of reducing CO2 emissions, the surface area of the British Isles is .007% of the total surface land area of Earth. So what ever measures our Government put in place will only contribute .007% to the total Earth's emissions.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
This is just another round of scaremongering, as people have mentioned already whose going to tell China, Russia, America ad infinitum, ad nauseum. It is a climate cycle that has happened numerous times during Earths lifetime and will continue to do so until the Sun expires and no amount of sitting around tables is going to stop that from happening. I watched a programme on BBC 4 that put it very simply about the effects of reducing CO2 emissions, the surface area of the British Isles is .007% of the total surface land area of Earth. So what ever measures our Government put in place will only contribute .007% to the total Earth's emissions.

Erm... You are aware that emission of CO2 isn't completely uniform across the planet right?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've spent literally the whole day today watching my wife who was a senior manager at 26, the head of an Outstanding primary school and the various managers and charity consultants who make up our neighbourhood, comprehensively fail to agree the date for a charity Superhero and Princesses run in the park. If you think we can solve climate change you're f***ed in the head. You might as well enjoy life's rollercoatster ride.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Sounds to me what was being explained there was exactly the same as happened 200 million years ago when siberia was nothing but a pool of lava for 60000 years. This chucked crap into the air, heated the planet by 5 degrees which destroyed the ozone layer and that sent the temperatures up another 5 degrees, the seas turned into massive pools of radioactive acid due to the higher co2 and lack of protection from solar radiation. Basically this just dissolved all crustaceans and wiped out a large percentage of life. Don't see Clarkson being around then :)

Until Professor Hawkins stands up and says it for himself then I will remain undecided that it is entirely man made and not just part of another climate shift that has happened many many times already

Stephen Hawkins may not stand up anytime soon, but he is a definite believer in man-made climate change being a critical, urgent problem for the planet.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The Climate Change Faith is a multi-billion pound/dollar industry with hundreds of thousands of jobs riding on it. If the naysayers have their way, all those jobs will be lost and so will all those billions. And planet Earth and the universe will still carry on in its path to self-destruction and regeneration, as it has always done. Man is but a pin-prick in all this, and 20th-century consumer-loving man is far more insignificant than he thinks he is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I expect a number of other academics say the opposite. Earth has been through many climate changes in the past. It is called nature at work.

Idiot at work

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I watched a programme on BBC 4 that put it very simply about the effects of reducing CO2 emissions, the surface area of the British Isles is .007% of the total surface land area of Earth. So what ever measures our Government put in place will only contribute .007% to the total Earth's emissions.

So every country emits exactly the same proportion of emissions then? Because this is what you've written. I think people should have to pass simple science and Maths tests before they can comment.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sounds to me what was being explained there was exactly the same as happened 200 million years ago when siberia was nothing but a pool of lava for 60000 years. This chucked crap into the air, heated the planet by 5 degrees which destroyed the ozone layer and that sent the temperatures up another 5 degrees, the seas turned into massive pools of radioactive acid due to the higher co2 and lack of protection from solar radiation. Basically this just dissolved all crustaceans and wiped out a large percentage of life. Don't see Clarkson being around then :)

Until Professor Hawkins stands up and says it for himself then I will remain undecided that it is entirely man made and not just part of another climate shift that has happened many many times already

I feel wicked saying it but I agree with this

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So thats a no then. You can't name a 'number of academics' who are not paid by either the fossil fuel companies or by people like the koch brothers who profit from fosil fuels.

Whereas of course those nasty scientists on the IPCC, you know the ones - they had their mail accounts hacked and selectively quoted from (I'm sure you read about it but probably not all the mails nor the full background story) - they m,ake up 98-99% of the scientific consesus but they of course are the ones who have sold out to BIG government in order to tax you a few pennies more.

I really can't be arsed to get too involved in yet another climate change 'debate',but suffice to say that the climate is changing,always has done and will continue to do so whatever mankind does.No-one can say with any certainty whether or not mankind has had a substantial effect on climate change and even if some of CC is down to mankind what the hell can be done about it,besides learning to adapt to a changing climate and let technology and man's ingenuity deal with it.
By the way,if you believe that all the stuff that comes out of the IPCC is spot on more fool you.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
No, the answer is actually simple. What you do is bring in unenforceable 20mph zones in ONE city, raise parking costs, change the binmen's rotas and introduce meat free Monday. That ought to solve it.

Ha-ha,nice one!!
Brought a smile to my face.:smile:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The Climate Change Faith is a multi-billion pound/dollar industry with hundreds of thousands of jobs riding on it. If the naysayers have their way, all those jobs will be lost and so will all those billions. And planet Earth and the universe will still carry on in its path to self-destruction and regeneration, as it has always done. Man is but a pin-prick in all this, and 20th-century consumer-loving man is far more insignificant than he thinks he is.

Whereas there's absolutely no money in the fossil fuel industries funding the anti climate change flat earthers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Whereas there's absolutely no money in the fossil fuel industries funding the anti climate change flat earthers.

you know, it is possible there are vested interests on both sides.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
you know what else has changed scale dramatically in the last 200 years? population. so whats the answer, telling everyone they can have anything, telling some they cant have everything while others do, or...

Aye, it's a very difficult question. The documentary, Surviving Progress, (which I highly recommend and is available in full on Youtube) asks the same question. Certain areas of the world, one example being China have a huge divide in wealth and access to technology. However, the gap is closing with sections of the population gaining access to motor cars, mobile phones and other technology. They have done without for decades and now understandably, want a piece of the action. This is going to cause big problems. And you are right, population growth is going to get worse and as you say, who are we to deny people what we have enjoyed for over a century. I genuinely don't know the answers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here