Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Two goals for Sam Baldock

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In many ways, we never really replaced him. Probably Trossard is the closest but he lacks the energy and attitude of Baldock IMHO, even if he is a better player overall.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The quality of the goals he scored in our promotion season was outstanding. I had a particular soft spot to the one he got to set us up for an easy home win against Reading -- speed, strength, calmness and clincality all rolled into one -- but completely get why his others are ranked higher.

I think he probably had 4 of the top 5 candidates for GotS that year. That one against Reading as well as incredible finishes against Barnsley, QPR and Fulham. You could argue that he assisted Steve Sidwell for his half-way-line effort at Bristol.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone else score for someone that we sold 4 years ago?
Time to move on please.

The modern expression I hate more than any other is "move on".

Overused in the most inappropriate of situations, it's usual and intended usage is just another way to say "forget that ever happened".

Often used in the Business / HR world when issues need brushing under the carpet.

I kindly request anyone who uses it "moves on" and stick in the bin where it deserves to be.

On the subject of ex-players, I routinely google to see what they are up to.

I also had a fascinating conversation with Garth Crooks about Peter Ward and his experiences of playing the Goldstone.

He didn't tell me to move on.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
for all the PL jcl types - if wasn't for his work rate stretching defences, doubt we would have been promoted

Absolutely, this.

He was an integral part of our promotion side and everything I saw suggested he was an all-round decent bloke too.

He was unfortunate that he seemed to be in that "not quite good enough for the Premier League" category, having been sold on after helping West Ham to promotion, suffering a similar fate with us, although at least he did get to kick a Premier League football first.

I'll always wish him well and like to read he's still doing the business.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The modern expression I hate more than any other is "move on".

Overused in the most inappropriate of situations, it's usual and intended usage is just another way to say "forget that ever happened".

Often used in the Business / HR world when issues need brushing under the carpet.

I kindly request anyone who uses it "moves on" and stick in the bin where it deserves to be.

On the subject of ex-players, I routinely google to see what they are up to.

I also had a fascinating conversation with Garth Crooks about Peter Ward and his experiences of playing the Goldstone.

He didn't tell me to move on.

Anyway, moving on…….

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What is wrong with mentioning old players? Brighton without history is just a bang average Premier League that came into existence through some poker and betting wins, on a tormentous and slow journey towards nowhere.

Thank you. Baldock is part of our history,.I always make a point of seeing how some of our old players are doing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Quite.

And what’s more he was/is a better finisher than some of the players we’ve signed in the PL.
Great he’s still producing the goods albeit at a lower level.

True, although to be fair he hasn't had the best of times since he left the Albion, his move to Reading didn't go as well as he would have hoped, then of course was without a club for a while until Derby picked him up.

Always an honest hard working player was Super Sam, forever fondly remembered for his train surfing as well as his goal scoring. :salute:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Great to hear Sam's still knocking them in, IMO.

Playing him off Murray, with AK wide, was genius and genuinely exciting. Without a doubt a top quality Championship player at the time, Many good memories - just a shame he and Muzza conspired to miss what should have been our second against Villa which was right in line with where I was standing (I mean sitting, your honour).

More than made up for by the CROWD SURFING though.

He also crowd surfed at the Promotion Parade on Hove Lawns. I was at the front so my husband helped lift him up to go back into the crowd, and I can honestly say I touched his bum and thigh on the way back to the front. :blush:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There were loads of videos of the players crowd surfing on the trains and of the celebrations in town back when we got promoted. i can't seem to find any of them now. The best I can find is the one Bozza posted above. Anyone got any they can re-share?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here