Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV problem

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Is it just the new TV you have or have Virginia just installed your cable and box?

If you've just replaced the TV then all you need is an hdmi cable as explained in above posts. On the back of the Virginia box should be a port labelled HDMI OUT. Just attach the hdmi lead between that port and one of the hdmi ports in the back of your TV. Depending on your TV you should have a button called SOURCE, INPUT, AV or a symbol of a square with an arrow pointing out of it. It's a case of cycling through the options in that button until the picture appears. If you're after smart tv connections I don't know as I don't own one I'm afraid.

I have a Samsung tv and it works with a source button.

If all else fails connect the hdmi lead between the two boxes, turn the Virginia box off, and then turn it back on again, the TV should automatically then find the Virgin box and change the source for you.

An hdmi cable is what we need then. Thanks for all the answers.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

An HDMI cable will facilitate you receiving a signal from your Virgin box only, and if that's all you want then you're sorted.

If, however, you actually want a TV signal from your TV's own in-built tuner you will also need a standard aerial lead running from the 'aerial out' on your Virgin box to your 'aerial in' on your TV.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
An HDMI cable will facilitate you receiving a signal from your Virgin box only, and if that's all you want then you're sorted.

If, however, you actually want a TV signal from your TV's own in-built tuner you will also need a standard aerial lead running from the 'aerial out' on your Virgin box to your 'aerial in' on your TV.

Or for simplicity forget about the Virgin box and plug the aerial straight into the TV (saves on another lead as well)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

If you're going out to buy one, DO NOT bother getting an expensive gold plated HDMI cable that claims to be all things to all men. It carries a digital signal - it either works or it doesn't, there is no in-between, there is no difference in quality. Just pick up the cheapest one you can find, it'll work perfectly.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Or for simplicity forget about the Virgin box and plug the aerial straight into the TV (saves on another lead as well)

Ah yes. I think I stand corrected. What I suggested is the case with my BT box which itself uses Freeview for non-internet TV. As I think I am aware now Virgin receives all its channels via cable (Correct?) in which case you have the correct solution and I have misinformed.

If so, apologies for that.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
HDMI cable - didn't solve the problem.
2-way aerial splitter - fine except that the Virgin cable going into the virgin box
fits neither the two-way splitter nor the tv (too large)

for f****k sake - nearly twenty quid of accessoris. on top of the f***** tv and I'm still
nowhere near solving this ******* problem.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
2-way aerial splitter - fine except that the Virgin cable going into the virgin box

for f****k sake - nearly twenty quid of accessoris. on top of the f***** tv and I'm still

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

https://www.avforums.com/threads/unable-to-find-channels-for-pvr-9150t.1178253/

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/tv-connections-wizard
:)

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

Can you try to be clear EXACTLY what you are trying to do.

You originally stated that you were "Just trying to set up a new tv and it's telling me that no channels were found when I install. It says to check the aerial connection."

This is only relevant if you are wanting to use your TV's own inbuilt Freeview tuner.

If all you want to do is to receive your signal from your Virgin box then there will be no tuning necessary on your TV's setup screen. You should simply connect the HDMI cable between the Virgin box and TV and then make sure you are monitoring the relevant HDMI input on your TV.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
The Virgin box, should come with all the correct cables, mine did, all nicely colour coded and numbered. Then plug it in and simply select the source button on your TV remote, normally says source, or is a square logo and look for hdmi1 on your tv screen, You shouldn't need to tune it as it is already tuned in through Virgin.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
The Virgin box, should come with all the correct cables, mine did, all nicely colour coded and numbered. Then plug it in and simply select the source button on your TV remote, normally says source, or is a square logo and look for hdmi1 on your tv screen, You shouldn't need to tune it as it is already tuned in through Virgin.

Just to save confusion in case he has multiple HDMI inputs on his TV then he might not have it plugged in to HDMI1, hence my advice to monitor the relevant HDMI input.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am sorry to state the obvious here but did the place you purchased the TV not offer it to be set up on delivery for a price.
If not then what I did was to get a good TV man round to set it up for me.
I have a smart TV I am also a technophobe, the bloke not only set it up but showed me everything that it is capable of doing through the Internet etc etc so after 5 years I don't accidentally press a button and something wonderful happens and I say "I didn't know it could do that"

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I think I finally got there thank f*****. Started from scratch, pulled out all cables and started again and it seems to have kicked
in.

Ta for all the contributions.

Jan 30, 2008

:dunce:
regards
DR

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I also have a problem with my TV if anyone can help me as well.
I don't seem to be able to get Claire Balding off of my TV.
When I switched the TV off last night I could still see her face on the screen like the Turin Shroud.

Are you sure it's your tv and not your eyes? Maybe frequent viewing has burnt her marvellous visage onto your retinas?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I also have a problem with my TV if anyone can help me as well.
I don't seem to be able to get Claire Balding off of my TV.
When I switched the TV off last night I could still see her face on the screen like the Turin Shroud.

Yes PLEASE...... vic.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here