Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV Comedy phrases you use in real life

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"nice action, very nice action, that is a very nice action.....I've got one though"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Partridge has something for every occasion, even those private moments in the bathroom:

"One yank, all gone!" and when the Mrs is taking a bath: "We're down to the final lather...just relax...there's a foamy bit on your shoulder - let's make it even more frothy with a squirt of light lemon liquid. Don't you feel good....careful not to fall asleep and slip under, there's some terrible statistics about that."

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I tend to use "Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring", if my boss is having an un-necessary flap, and have been known to say "I'm Free" on occasion.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If I am describing a person with a big beard I always say
" He has a beard you can hide a Badger in".
Or "He has a beard the size of a rhododendron bush"

Both from Blackadder . :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Following on from the comedy 'head to head' threads I got to thinking about how influential some of these programmes really are.

Quite of lot of Partridge lines and phrases have passed into my common usage, i.e. "back of the net", "smell my cheese", "mentalist", "sex people" etc but my personal favourite is one I use every year at 11am on 25th December when my wife and I adjust our dining table for Christmas dinner - "Yes, it's an extender!"

'Nice action' is one of many often used by me and only understood by a handfull of people.

"On that bombshell!!"

Last edited:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Used at many a meeting :

Captain Blackadder: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war two great super-armies developed. Us, the Russians and the French on one side, Germany and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea being that each army would act as the other's deterrent. That way, there could never be a war.
Private Baldrick: Except, this is sort of a war, isn't it?
Captain Blackadder: That's right. There was one tiny flaw in the plan.
Lieutenant George: O, what was that?
Captain Blackadder: It was bollocks

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I can never resist saying "Well done Wilson" to anybody with that surname and particularly to the Surrey and Ireland gloveman Gary Wilson.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
"Daddy's got a Porsche" - The Young Ones. University Challenge

"Not a sausage. Bugger all" - Python. Election Special.

"Got him. @@@@ off. You're out" - 12th Man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here