Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV Comedy phrases you use in real life

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
"I'll level with you - I'm dead against it"
"Can I shock you?"
"Snazzy cardigan"
"I know a cracking owl sanctuary" (if someone asks what we could do today)

plus a billion more

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Loads from Father Ted, too

Dougal:
"No luck then Ted?"
"Oh, yeah, Ted! He'd love that! You should definitely do that."

Ted:
"IIII DON'T BELIEVE IT"

Noele
"Teeeeeeeeeeed"

Mrs Doyle
"More tea, father?"

Jimmy Grimble

"Get out" and "there's been a rape up there" appear from time to time.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mainly Partridge use of "I'll have a pint of bitter", until I realised it was more sad than funny! Also like "Text Book", "Dan, Dan .... Dan" because my Son's name is Dan, he supports Palace and it particularly pisses him off.

Overheard the use of "God created Adam & Eve, he didn't create Adam & Steve".

Use also "Chushty" and a few phrases from The Office

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[cue Richard Wilson, hands over his ears in cave]

Only equalled by opening the door to the ethnic minorities of Craggy Island to reveal a room festooned in Nazi regalia....
The bit I remember is before the cave, where Dougal convinces Ted it is the funniest thing Richard Wilson it would be the funniest thing he'd ever heard, and consequently gets slapped.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get. "

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

"Don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel."

"Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. "

"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing! "

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Head move!"

"Your head is so big it has its own atmosphere"

"It's like a planet on a lolli pop stick"

All taken from "Married an ex axe murder"

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The bit I remember is before the cave, where Dougal convinces Ted it is the funniest thing Richard Wilson it would be the funniest thing he'd ever heard, and consequently gets slapped.

That's the appetiser - later on, Ted and Dougal are lost in the cave, but Ted says it's OK because he's been leaving a trail of string since they entered the cave, so they can follow it back to the entrance. Dougal says "Would that be this string then, Ted?" and shows him the big ball he's collected up. Ted is furious and shouts out "I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!". The sound reverberates and echoes through the cave where Richard Wilson is also lost. He can't escape the cascading cacophony of "I DON'T BELIEVE IT"s and puts his hands over his ears in agony. Worth searching out. As is Ted's Hitler "moustache" on the window.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Del Boy has some great foreign phrases that I give an airing to periodically: "Mais oui", "Biensur", "Mange tout", "La crème de la menthe".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's the appetiser - later on, Ted and Dougal are lost in the cave, but Ted says it's OK because he's been leaving a trail of string since they entered the cave, so they can follow it back to the entrance. Dougal says "Would that be this string then, Ted?" and shows him the big ball he's collected up. Ted is furious and shouts out "I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!". The sound reverberates and echoes through the cave where Richard Wilson is also lost. He can't escape the cascading cacophony of "I DON'T BELIEVE IT"s and puts his hands over his ears in agony. Worth searching out. As is Ted's Hitler "moustache" on the window.
I know the scene, but the bit that I always quote is the appetiser, which is IMO pant wettingly funny.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I know the scene, but the bit that I always quote is the appetiser, which is IMO pant wettingly funny.

I especially like the way Dougal and Ted have a little giggle together as they consider how much RW would like to hear Ted's impression. Poor old Ted...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The other week when we had dinner guests and a found a particularly strange shaped carrot I did b@5tardise the "we found a turnip shaped like a thingy and strangely I have a thingy shaped exactly like a ..... " line but everyone thought I was just weird and didn't understand it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"He's got a foot like a traction engine" gets brought out regularly playing football.

Yes, every time I see a stonking goal on TV I inevitably come out with a Partridge World Cup 94 phrase.

"Striiiikkkkeerrr"
"That was a goal"
"The goalkeeper's got football pie all down his jersey"

Another favourite Partridgism:
"Not my words, the words of Top Gear Magazine"

I use Inbetweeners phrases quite a bit too
"Football friend" (although football can be replaced by anything else)
"Bus wankers"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here