Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turned down at the gate

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
I got done at Brighton station a couple of years ago for trying to get away with an u16 ticket, was the one bloody night where they were doing checks to catch people out by disabling the barriers for child tickets and thereby forcing you to show them to the guy on the gate. £20 odd fine on the spot for my troubles. The gap between an adult and a u16 ticket is extortionate though.

I would recommend getting a 16-25 Railcard. Fares are considerably cheaper with it, for example Haywards Heath to Brighton at peak time goes from about £6 on an adult fare to something like £2.50 on the railcard. Well worth looking into.

I actually already have one of these and it's very helpful. It's not the train I'm worried about,(especially as I'll be going via coach) it's the actual match tickets.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I actually already have one of these and it's very helpful. It's not the train I'm worried about,(especially as I'll be going via coach) it's the actual match tickets.

Completely misread thread :shootself

Doubt they would bother checking age on turnstiles unless you look considerably older than 16.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
L**ds have barcode turnstyles so there isn't someone on the gate so to speak.

We have different coloured lights on the turnstiles for concessions when the card is shown. Leeds had a big problem with home fans getting concession tickets because it was bar codes, and started checking IDs. Stewards are watching as you go in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good to see lots of post and not one rich idiot suggesting 16 yr olds should pay adult price :)

I used to try everything when going away as a 16-18 yr old. Bunked loads of trains and got in with loads of kids tickets. Needs must when ur still in full time education and love the Albion...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
L**ds have barcode turnstyles so there isn't someone on the gate so to speak.

There will normally be a steward keeping an eye out for anyone who looks over age because they exposed a scam a couple of years back where Leeds fans were using kids tickets.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
We have different coloured lights on the turnstiles for concessions when the card is shown. Leeds had a big problem with home fans getting concession tickets because it was bar codes, and started checking IDs. Stewards are watching as you go in.

They don't really look at your ticket though - unless you are having trouble getting it in.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Point taken, you can get ID at 16 for people who drive mopeds. However, this must make up the total of about 5% of young people.

When "i were a lad" every kid my age had a moped, but this was before they restricted them to 30 mph.
It does seem the're not as popular as they once were.

Jimmy Grimble

I used to regularly milk the u16/18 at football and cricket grounds up until the age of about 20. Not because I had a young face, but more because it was easy to pull off once you got the nack of it. Just make sure you're savvy and a bit sneaky about it and you'll be fine. I did it at Leeds with an under 16 when I was 18 and had no issue. The only time I ever had a problem was at Millwall one year, but overall I reckon I pulled it off about 20-25 times.

Go for it fella. More money for your beers after the game :thumbsup:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I used to regularly milk the u16/18 at football and cricket grounds up until the age of about 20. Not because I had a young face, but more because it was easy to pull off once you got the nack of it. Just make sure you're savvy and a bit sneaky about it and you'll be fine. I did it at Leeds with an under 16 when I was 18 and had no issue. The only time I ever had a problem was at Millwall one year, but overall I reckon I pulled it off about 20-25 times.

Go for it fella. More money for your beers after the game :thumbsup:

When buying a ticket on the day at Millwall last year (Harley's penalty) I accidentally revealed my true age to the person selling the ticket! Still managed to convince her to sell me the cheaper ticket though!! Clearly I have a face that no lass can say no too! Either that or a face she wanted out of her sight quick!

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Have you or anyone you know ever been turned down at the gate for having a wrong ticket?

Me and mates are the age (16) where sometimes we are just over the age barrier. When the adult tickets are so much more than the under 16 it's a difficult decision to lie and risk being turned down or pay the premium prices, I personally don't worry too much about it but others have more doubts.

The games coming up we're making decisions for are fa cup semi final tomorrow, £10 cheaper for u16s but I'm thinking they're machines at wembley although we'd have to collect them. Also Leeds is over double as much for an adult. (Please take into consideration I only make £15 a week)

I think [MENTION=24083]byf1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1471]bhafc4eva[/MENTION] will be able to provide you with some advice on this!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'm 19, and would say I look my age, and havent bought an adult away ticket since turning 16.

I turned up to Ipswich this season unshaven, asked for an U16 ticket and was asked my date of birth. Added a few years on and saved myseld £26, if it's that easy, as a student, i'd be stupid not to try it.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
didn't ID me last year for an U16 ticket. I was 17 and looked considerably older and they asked me how old i was and they just accepted i was 16, should be fine

You said you were 16? I generally get the idea that u16s doesn't count for 16 year olds, that's the way it is most of the time

Surely every young person carries ID to prove that they are entitled to pay child fares on buses? And they keep it in the same wallet as the card that lets them drink in pubs?

I always get a warm feeling when I get asked to show my senior railcard on trains, to prove I'm entitled to the discount.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The games coming up we're making decisions for are fa cup semi final tomorrow, £10 cheaper for u16s but I'm thinking they're machines at wembley although we'd have to collect them. Also Leeds is over double as much for an adult. (Please take into consideration I only make £15 a week)

You have my sympathy mate!

Ridiculous to have the cut off at 16. Even those working full time at that age earn very little.

I also really don't understand the Albion's policy on kid season tickets. What difference is there if a kid is 9 or 10? They are still dependant but the cost almost doubles at 10. Should be a sensible half way house whether 3, 9, 12 or 15 rather than a giveaway under 10 then OTT amount from 10 to 18.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here